GIANT DERESTRICT - NEW SOFTWARE BASED METHOD!

Giantal

Jul 13, 2020
Coventry
If you want to derestrict newer Giants, the only option is a Speedbox or similar which involves opening up the area around the battery and motor, fitting a bypass device then putting it all back together hoping that it will all fit back in (mine did not!). There are several downsides to these devices including errors, inaccurate speedo readings etc as well as the daunting thought of taking the bike apart (often a crank puller is required).
There is a product which has been developed that is purely a software solution. You simply connect over bluetooth and remove the restriction. The "flash" is almost invisible to a dealer (unless he is checking the bikes coding) and even displays the correct speed and mileage in the app.
I have been approached to be the UK representative for such a product but the initial setup costs are very high. I am just wanting to gauge who would be willing to pay around £125 to have their bike derestricted via software? It can be reversed easily but would mean another trip to the midlands (where I would be based) or Cannock Chase on a day when I am riding. I also ride Chicksands and Bike Park Wales so could organise a meet up there on certain days.
Thoughts?

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Hi! Not too many info here... apologies but sounds like a scam to me and somehow dangerous if it is real... please provide additional info.

- Can be done remotely?
- Can be reversed back to original firmware?
- Will it be erased when a new firmware is released?
- ...?

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
Is it the software designed by the same guy as eplus for shimano motors ?

if so then this software is only available for reseller as it needs the giant service tool key so it can't be installed,modified or removed by yourself if you don't have this key and the computer with the software.

PROS : doesn't need to disconnect/connect cables around the motor, probably the best way to adjust parameters like wheel circumference and speed limit.

CONS : needs the Giant key ; too expensive ; how to go back to original firmware ? risk of bricking the bike software ?

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I have seen this company and they operate from the former office headquarters of an Italian company called 'Dimsport', who have been making vehicle chip tuning software for many years, so I suspect that it is a sister company to them. I have been there myself for software training, in the late '90s and I recognised the address when I saw 'Via Pontestura, Camino'. Camino is a tiny village with very few people, so surely no coincidence. It's a lovely place, with vineyards on every hillside and wineries in every valley bottom.

The modifications will just be a change of calibration, and should be reversible. However, there may be flash counters and such that go up incrementally when a bike is programmed, as is normal in car ECUs, and if the bike has had its flash changed more than there have been soft/firmware revisions then they MAY use it as an excuse to void the warranty, IF they spot the change.

Personally, having had so many issues with my own Giant Bikes, I wouldn't want to do anything that would give them an excuse to void the warranty of the battery or motor. I've sorted the wiring problems my own way because their 'solution' was inadequate for the task.

Giantal

Jul 13, 2020
Coventry
Hi! Not too many info here... apologies but sounds like a scam to me and somehow dangerous if it is real... please provide additional info.

- Can be done remotely?
- Can be reversed back to original firmware?
- Will it be erased when a new firmware is released?
- ...?

1. It can only be done by me as I have the giant service tool key
2. Yes quite easily.
3. No.

Giantal

Jul 13, 2020
Coventry
I have seen this company and they operate from the former office headquarters of an Italian company called 'Dimsport', who have been making vehicle chip tuning software for many years, so I suspect that it is a sister company to them. I have been there myself for software training, in the late '90s and I recognised the address when I saw 'Via Pontestura, Camino'. Camino is a tiny village with very few people, so surely no coincidence. It's a lovely place, with vineyards on every hillside and wineries in every valley bottom.

The modifications will just be a change of calibration, and should be reversible. However, there may be flash counters and such that go up incrementally when a bike is programmed, as is normal in car ECUs, and if the bike has had its flash changed more than there have been soft/firmware revisions then they MAY use it as an excuse to void the warranty, IF they spot the change.

Personally, having had so many issues with my own Giant Bikes, I wouldn't want to do anything that would give them an excuse to void the warranty of the battery or motor. I've sorted the wiring problems my own way because their 'solution' was inadequate for the task.
Yes that is the one. You basically get the latest firmware, remove the restriction and replace on the ecu.
The company seem legit and I have a friend who has had it done and all seemed fine.

Pictomix

Mar 18, 2019
Uk
I'm gonna guess its the same as the option offered in Australia, mentioned on another post on here.
Would be good to have the service here in the uk.
I'm out of warranty now so could be looked at!
Can the speed restriction limit be set higher or is it just removed?

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
The original method was to just adjust the diameter of your wheel to something smaller, so you get more top speed without limit but wrong readings on the speedometer. Very similar to the badass box which I would like to install if I could configure it, because I have changed my wheels from 27,5 to 29 and now the speedometer is wrong as well.

In this case he is saying that the speedometer will still work so it must be some other internal adjustment, the speed limit probably.

I wonder if the software modification affect the motor or the controller. If it is the motor maybe we can send you just the controller :D

Giantal

Jul 13, 2020
Coventry
The original method was to just adjust the diameter of your wheel to something smaller, so you get more top speed without limit but wrong readings on the speedometer. Very similar to the badass box which I would like to install if I could configure it, because I have changed my wheels from 27,5 to 29 and now the speedometer is wrong as well.

In this case he is saying that the speedometer will still work so it must be some other internal adjustment, the speed limit probably.

I wonder if the software modification affect the motor or the controller. If it is the motor maybe we can send you just the controller :D
Yes it just adjusts the speed limit in the firmware. As for sending the controller, this is an interesting thought. I know the 2021 bikes don’t have a “brain” in the controller, they are just slave switches now as there were too many water ingress issues. As for 2020, I am not sure.

MadManPedal

Nov 13, 2020
philippines
If you want to derestrict newer Giants, the only option is a Speedbox or similar which involves opening up the area around the battery and motor, fitting a bypass device then putting it all back together hoping that it will all fit back in (mine did not!). There are several downsides to these devices including errors, inaccurate speedo readings etc as well as the daunting thought of taking the bike apart (often a crank puller is required).
There is a product which has been developed that is purely a software solution. You simply connect over bluetooth and remove the restriction. The "flash" is almost invisible to a dealer (unless he is checking the bikes coding) and even displays the correct speed and mileage in the app.
I have been approached to be the UK representative for such a product but the initial setup costs are very high. I am just wanting to gauge who would be willing to pay around £125 to have their bike derestricted via software? It can be reversed easily but would mean another trip to the midlands (where I would be based) or Cannock Chase on a day when I am riding. I also ride Chicksands and Bike Park Wales so could organise a meet up there on certain days.
Thoughts?
Are you saying that the supposed testing is short of laboratory mice? Send us free then.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Go you know if the memory addresses written are in the RC-one or the motor?

If it's in the remote then a postal service would easily be possible.

Derek

Jun 11, 2019
Aust
To clarify the original posters info.
It is Eplus software
It requires Giant Dongle
The controller even in the 2021 models is the item that is modified (software), so you could send that, flash it and send it back.... mmm postal service...
The mod uses the wheel circ so the speed is not accurately displayed (if a display exists on the bike, or via the giant ride app)
New firmware from Giant as with any manufacturer could render the mod useless. Lesson here is don't upgrade manufacturers firmware unless there is a compelling reason to do so aka Bosch NM increase for e.g

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I do think that a 20mph limit (as in America) on the road would actually be safer than the 15mph that Europe has.

A factory update wouldn't necessarily overwrite changes made, it would depend on the components used and the procedure.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
The ideal thing would be to be able to change the bike zone so instead of changing wheel circumference you can change the settings to USA settings and then the speed meter will be ok

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
The ideal thing would be to be able to change the bike zone so instead of changing wheel circumference you can change the settings to USA settings and then the speed meter will be ok
Agreed, that's actually what I was getting at but I didn't make it clear.
The speed limit will be editable in the file, just as the wheel size is. It's very likely that maximum outputs will be tunable too, and you can guarantee that the bikes in competition will be modified in that area if the factory has any involvement.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles