Giant bikes cutting out randomly / power interrupt (all Models all Years)

Kanitfastan

Jul 15, 2023
Salzburg, Austria (Alps)
Here is only one question for the interest of the hole Giant Customer Community:

Post here, if
you / your mates - but not cases like "heard, said as or batteries issues
bike shuts off whilst driving or interrupted power flow?

Lets count this issues.

(Mine does, although bat. changed from 625 to 800 and its not a connector issue.)

Last edited:

Kanitfastan

Jul 15, 2023
Salzburg, Austria (Alps)
This thread has been started Nov 24, 2023.
Today I am canceling the count and documenting my solution, because I seems to be rarely.

The facts
Reign E+ 1 Pro 625 Wh, bought on 07.2020
battery change to 800 Wh on 11.2022
some times lost electric drive / cutting out randomly / power interrupt
first occurrence at riding home from the dealer

It took tree seasons of riding for me to find the cause.
I couldn't imagine, that this issue is so simple. In final desperation I measured with an oscilloscope.
The reason was not the battery connector nor one of the others.
Nor humidity was responsible. (I carefully used on all connectors pole fat.)
Or the spokes magnet. (Reinforced it with an additional one.)
Nor the distance of magnet to sensor. (Minimized it!)
And I disassembled the wiring harness as far as it was possible.
The very last hope - before I called the software guilty - was the speed sensor.

On February 2024 at last I replaced the Giant Speed Sensor Integrated 4430-FSJISS-01.
Solution. Since 150 kilometers no interrupt at all. So I am quite sure, that this theme is eaten.
@jorgeromen Hope, it helps you too, eventually.

My other solution for my skipping issue.

paullin523

Feb 7, 2024
Indianapolis
Here is only one question for the interest of the hole Giant Customer Community:

Post here, if
you / your mates - but not cases like "heard, said as or batteries issues
bike shuts off whilst driving or interrupted power flow?

Lets count this issues.

(Mine does, although bat. changed from 625 to 800 and its not a connector issue.)
From my Feb. 7 post:
I had a problem with my Trance motor shutting off in the middle of a ride after I had around 600 miles on it.
I turned the bike back on and was able to ride for a while then it shut off once again. This happened 4
times that day. When I got home, I removed the battery and noticed slight oxidation on one of the battery
terminals. I sprayed electrical cleaner on the terminals and then scrubbed the terminals clean. Dust was able to invade that area. I then used computer air cleaner spray on both the battery and the electrical terminals. Additionally I updated the firmware as well.

I have never had that problem again. I have 1,000+ miles on the Trance and having a great time riding that bike!

dimitrin

May 7, 2023
Central Texas
I am also experiencing a similar issue with my 2023 giant rain e+.
It has done it on numerous different rides, where the power assist shuts off. The led display on top of the top tube consist of two rows of five LEDs. On the row to the right, all five LEDs flash and blink White. The row of LEDs on the left, the second from the bottom LED flashes red in sink with the white LEDs just to the right of it.
Every time that it has done it, it will do it multiple times and then it seems to correct itself to allow me to finish the ride. Yesterday though it cut out on me six times during the ride, at one point I thought I was going to have to walk my bike out of there, but fortunately it came back on and I was able to finish that ride as well.

ari

Mar 1, 2024
Australia
Not just Giant , pretty much all will have same issue , i have 3 different bikes , all have cut out , main cause was magnetic/high iron dust , on wheel magnet, other was battery moving around in frame[glued rubber sheets to make it tight], and other was dirty conections , PTFE spray seems the best , as it is a dry lube.

Base

Jul 21, 2023
Toronto
My Trance X E 23' got battery error at around 600+km, removing battery and putting it back in wasnt any help. The store said there was a fast update (which I doubt cause firmware/software was same) but its been working since. Another that I ride with has same model and so far no issues past that same KM distance.

One of the updates had that automatic option added so I tried it but didnt like it so turned it off but now the bike doesnt feel as fluid as before. If I could go back to the firmware I got it with I prob would as that seemed to work best. There is a newer one out but I havent really got to ride the trails to test it out.

ArisPan

Apr 15, 2024
Greece
Happened to my Stance E+ '22 for the first time yesterday following a short update I did in the morning (don't know if this is related). Several turning off and back on, but did a major off - not being able to turn on again for ~20 mins. Started to ride back home at that points and it turned back on again, but followed the same loop of OFF after some seconds > ON > OFF. Today I did another update via the app - hopefully this was it? Any ideas pointers on what I should check?

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Happened to my Stance E+ '22 for the first time yesterday following a short update I did in the morning (don't know if this is related). Several turning off and back on, but did a major off - not being able to turn on again for ~20 mins. Started to ride back home at that points and it turned back on again, but followed the same loop of OFF after some seconds > ON > OFF. Today I did another update via the app - hopefully this was it? Any ideas pointers on what I should check?
My '21 Stance was doing that after about 400kms or so. Tried changing remote, did diagnostics at LBS etc but the problem persisted. LBS/Giant ended up replacing the bike, including battery.
Hope your issue is easier to fix.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Not just Giant , pretty much all will have same issue , i have 3 different bikes , all have cut out , main cause was magnetic/high iron dust , on wheel magnet, other was battery moving around in frame[glued rubber sheets to make it tight], and other was dirty conections , PTFE spray seems the best , as it is a dry lube.
Sorry but my Yamaha branded bike (Moro) has NEVER cut out no matter what I have thrown at it. On the other hand, my 2023 Reign was a nightmare !

paullin523

Feb 7, 2024
Indianapolis
From my previous post (above) along with an update:
had a problem with my Trance motor shutting off in the middle of a ride after I had around 600 miles on it.
I turned the bike back on and was able to ride for a while then it shut off once again. This happened 4
times that day. When I got home, I removed the battery and noticed slight oxidation on one of the battery
terminals. I sprayed electrical cleaner on the terminals and then scrubbed the terminals clean. Dust was able to invade that area. I then used computer air cleaner spray on both the battery and the electrical terminals. Additionally I updated the firmware as well.

I have never had that problem again. I have 1,000+ miles on the Trance and having a great time riding that bike!

Update: 2 weeks ago after a ride consuming about 50% power from the 625wh battery, I decided to fully charge the battery for the next days outing. I connected the smart charger to the port on the Trance Advanced e+2 and noticed that the charger LED remained constant red meaning it does not recognize the battery and will not charge. I removed the battery from the bike frame and tried to charge the battery directly from the charger and again the charger led remained constant red. I checked the battery for power by pushing the button on the battery and 3 out of 5 Leds lit up indicating there was at least 50% power remaining in the battery.

FYI, if any one of the 40 Li Ion cells in the battery pack drops voltage or fails the battery is useless. I took the battery and smart charger to my local Giant dealer who confirmed battery failure. I was also surprised to learn that the smart charger needed to be replaced as well. Within one week under warranty Giant replaced both the battery and the smart charger.

ArisPan

Apr 15, 2024
Greece
From my previous post (above) along with an update:
had a problem with my Trance motor shutting off in the middle of a ride after I had around 600 miles on it.

Update: 2 weeks ago after a ride consuming about 50% power from the 625wh battery, I decided to fully charge the battery for the next days outing. I connected the smart charger to the port on the Trance Advanced e+2 and noticed that the charger LED remained constant red meaning it does not recognize the battery and will not charge. I removed the battery from the bike frame and tried to charge the battery directly from the charger and again the charger led remained constant red. I checked the battery for power by pushing the button on the battery and 3 out of 5 Leds lit up indicating there was at least 50% power remaining in the battery.

FYI, if any one of the 40 Li Ion cells in the battery pack drops voltage or fails the battery is useless. I took the battery and smart charger to my local Giant dealer who confirmed battery failure. I was also surprised to learn that the smart charger needed to be replaced as well. Within one week under warranty Giant replaced both the battery and the smart charger.
So you never did manage to resolve the issue from cleaning the battery terminals right? It just postponed the inevitable - if this is also the case for me, it's a weird case because my battery health stands at 100% and the battery checks in OK at the app checks.. Shouldn't that checks indicate the issue? Did you have the chance to do them to your bike?

paullin523

Feb 7, 2024
Indianapolis
After cleaning the battery terminals everything was fine. The failure of the battery pack was an independent unrelated issue.
FYI, Giant upgraded the energy pack from 625Wh to 800Wh under warranty. There are places that will repair a problematic energy pack by identifying a particular cell that may have a voltage drop then balance the battery pack or replace bad cell(s) if no longer under warranty.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles