The bikes are up!

- 4 different colors
- no new TCU display, same old LED one
- Mullet of course, with new geo
- Same price as old comp
- Now with GX eagle drivetrain instead of Shimano SLX
- S2 and up sizes now get a 55x210 Float X perf shock
- Code R brakes

Overall a nice update over the old Alloy Comp. Wish I had waited before buying my 2021 Alloy Comp!

Looks like it won't be shipping until 2/22

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Is this the usual if you have to ask how much it costs you probably can't afford it official product launch?

Reap3r

Jul 6, 2020
Pennsylvania
TCU2 / Mastermind is only on the Comp Carbon up.

Can you comment on the 2.2 motor performance when not using the Mastermind? Early promo vids for the 2022 Levo imply that some of the motor performance improvments like the more natural ride feel, power spike mitigation, etc are coming specifically from the Mastermind.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Well the Comp Ally is £6750 and in May 2019 I paid £4500 for my Comp ( list less 10% discount for cash/no finance). So what has this Gen3 model got that is better than my ( now stolen!) 2019?
Well it has Fox fork ( albeit the 36 Rhythm) and Fox shock....decent v Rockshox Deluxe ( rubbish) and 35 RS Revs ( poor)
Adjustable geo..........which I would never use
Mullet...........mmm .. I prefer 29er front and back.
2.2 motor ( my 2.1 never gave any problems)
12 speed GX v 11 speed GX ( I dont use 11 and rarely 10 on a 11 speed so no real benefit!)
Code R brakes v Guide RE ...Guide RE work fine!
700 w/h battery v 500 w/h ( I prefer the smaller lighter 500w/h which has plenty of range for me)

If it had a decent wheelset like DT Swiss H series and something a bit better than an OEM only version of the Fox 36 it might attract my interest..........or if it was £1000 cheaper!!

As it is I think there are better options out there.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Can you comment on the 2.2 motor performance when not using the Mastermind? Early promo vids for the 2022 Levo imply that some of the motor performance improvments like the more natural ride feel, power spike mitigation, etc are coming specifically from the Mastermind.
Spesh are lumping together all of the mods made to the 2.1 motor over the course of 2020 and 2021.........nothing new about the 2.2 motor!!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
It’s only a display / interface and doesn’t actually change the motor performance at all. The motor performance is dictated by the firmware on the motor (that is installed via mission control that connects to the TCU / TCU2)

HarleyMYK

Dec 11, 2021
SoCal
The bikes are up!

- 4 different colors
- no new TCU display, same old LED one
- Mullet of course, with new geo
- Same price as old comp
- Now with GX eagle drivetrain instead of Shimano SLX
- S2 and up sizes now get a 55x210 Float X perf shock
- Code R brakes

Overall a nice update over the old Alloy Comp. Wish I had waited before buying my 2021 Alloy Comp!

Looks like it won't be shipping until 2/22
Stan23: Sorry if it was obvious, but I didn't see anything about the 2/22 ship date. Did I miss it? Any info on the possibility of the Carbon Comp availability in the USA?

Reap3r

Jul 6, 2020
Pennsylvania
It wasn't obvious, I missed it at first. There was a small banner across the top of the page that showed a message saying something like "pre orders expected to ship 02/22"

ohm13

Jun 10, 2018
Seattle
I'm on a 2021 Comp and think power delivery is pretty damn smooth. It would be interesting to try them side by side to see if there is a difference.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
the mastermind does nothing more than MC has always been able to do in terms of pedal assist/max settings per mode and acceleration......and the changes ( slight) to motor performance supposedly to remove "spikes" was implemented in a firmware update during 2020. Nothing else has changed except the use of a 27.5 with a relatively low grip rear tyre as opposed to 29 may result in an a bility to accelerate that back wheel a little easier after allowing speed/cadence to drop.

BadPiggy

Oct 18, 2020
Glad I got mine last year. Fortunate to get in just under the big price hike. Beyond that, I HATE SRAM brakes. IMHO, they simply do no work well enough on such a heavy bike, with a 200+ pound/90+ kilo rider. Also Shimano drive train is supposed to handle those time you have to shift under load better. As for performance someone was asking about, I've found the motor assist to be very smooth. No sudden surges, or cut offs in a way as to disrupt my riding. But I also try to keep a high cadence, so maybe that has an effect. Only issue I have had (knock on wood), is the battery failed early last summer after 6-7 ,months. Replaced under warranty.

CruJones

Nov 24, 2021
USA
Beyond that, I HATE SRAM brakes. IMHO, they simply do no work well enough on such a heavy bike, with a 200+ pound/90+ kilo rider.

My experience with my Code R brakes is that they require the pistons to be reset very often - like once every 2-3 rides. When they've been reset the brakes work properly. Luckily there's a guy on eBay, which makes a little handy 3D printed block that makes the job very easy. Still, pretty annoying to have to do.

Reap3r

Jul 6, 2020
Pennsylvania
My experience with my Code R brakes is that they require the pistons to be reset very often - like once every 2-3 rides. When they've been reset the brakes work properly. Luckily there's a guy on eBay, which makes a little handy 3D printed block that makes the job very easy. Still, pretty annoying to have to do.

What's the process for resetting the Pistons? Sorry bike newb here. Do you take the brake pads out, insert the 3d printed block and squeeze the brakes?

CruJones

Nov 24, 2021
USA
What's the process for resetting the Pistons? Sorry bike newb here. Do you take the brake pads out, insert the 3d printed block and squeeze the brakes?

Basically. You remove pads, put in block and squeeze lever. The block only allows one piston at a time to protrude. You clean around the piston with some Iso alcohol then lube with a tiny amount of brake fluid and push piston back in. Take block out and flip to work on one of the other pistons then rinse and repeat. After all have been cleaned/lubed/pressed back in the put pads back in, etc. If process is done correctly then you’ll find the lever feel is firm.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Stan23: Sorry if it was obvious, but I didn't see anything about the 2/22 ship date. Did I miss it? Any info on the possibility of the Carbon Comp availability in the USA?

Couple Comp Alloys are on the floor for sale at the LBS in San Diego. Maybe we will see Carbon Comps sooner than later.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles