• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Gear slipping

Code54

Nov 5, 2020
Hurricane WV
I recently got my first E-MTB (Giant Stance E+2) and have a question on setting the gears property.
I noticed that sometimes when I am on a steep slope and putting a lot of pressure tot he pedals my gears changes and I am not shifting. Sometimes this really throws a wrench into things and I figure it is also not real great for the bike. It appear everything is all lined up but what is the best way to set this up correctly and check everything? There were literally 2 bikes left in the US in my size so I had to make a 600 mile round trip for this one so running it back to the dealer is not really an option unfortunately (The dealer also seems to have figured this out and did VERY little in the way of setting up the bike correctly.)
Anyway, just want to make sure I do this right so any suggestions and idea would be great. Thanks!

Code54

Nov 5, 2020
Hurricane WV
I was just looking for any tips and tricks. I am not concerned with doing the work and figure I can figure it out even faster than driving it somewhere. Plus I would just rather learn how to do it, don't even care if I need to buy tools or anything. Thanks

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Steps I take are...

- Put it in top gear
- Wind in your barrel adjuster
- Check your top and bottom mech limits
- Check your b-gap adjustment (Google it for your mech, you can get templates if keen)
- Set cable tension to remove any slack
- Now check it shifts up - 9 times out of 10 you get it right.

Have you hit your mech? Might have knocked the hanger out of alignment. Worth checking.

Code54

Nov 5, 2020
Hurricane WV
Awesome - thank you all. That is the words I needed for the video - missed that one. All the info is super helpful and helped a ton.

I think the bike just was not set up very well. First time I rode it on the road it was skipping gears and "auto" shifting. That was the bad part about buying from a dealer far away, he knew I wasn't coming back. We do have a new shop somewhat nearby that seems great and mentioned he could do warranty work so when I need anything I will be buying from him.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles