G'day Ebikers !

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
Hey all. 55 year old , slightly broken MTBer from Australia here. New to the forum but been riding bikes forever , EMTBs since 2017. I have been lurking here for a while , it's a great source of info. Thought I'd best sign up and contribute where possible.
I posted my ride over here , yeah it's a bit dodgy but it has gotten me out on the trails more than my conventional bikes ever did , so in that regard , it's probably the best bike I've ever owned haha. Looking to purchase a "proper" EMTB in '22 , for various reasons. Wheel size , and tech spec being the main ones (ten speed stuff is getting harder to find for the old bike) and hopefully a few less looks of disapproval on the trails when others look at my converted MTB.
I was a member of several very active MTB forums from the early '00s so it's nice to be back in that space. Much more civilized than Facebook!
Cheers
Tony

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Cool . That bikes looks sic . I would like to build one of those . That bike looks pretty powerful. You might be a bit disappointed with the power output of a name brand ebike . That beast looks un restricted too . So that's definitely something to look into in the new boutique bike . 🏍 . So looks like you have lots of experience with bikes . My suggestion would be to test ride a few different brands . Try a rail or a levo maybe a merida .

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
Thanks guys. Yeah , I am very much looking forward to a new ride , it's been a very long time since I bought a brand new complete bike.
@maynard. Yes , the BBSHD is 1000w unrestricted. There will no doubt be times when I miss the power but as I rarely use all of the power of the Bafang , I don't anticipate it will affect my riding habits that much..... I hope! I will keep the Spitfire for special missions into extreme terrain only. 😁
At the moment I have it narrowed down to 2 bikes , Trek Rail 9 and the Mondraker Crafty R. The '22 Mondrakers are expected in Feb so I'll hold off until I can test ride the Crafty.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Frankly if you like the BBSHD power band then your only choice is to upgrade to one of the Ultra motor bikes from the likes of Frey/DengFu either built or to your own spec? it will get you the more modern features including wheel size, geo with integrated battery and cables with the addition of better brakes, as in 4 piston calipers, torque sensing PAS and modern shocks. Kind of like this:

gravel pit.jpg

Otherwise there are almost too many options available and price ranges to boot of the EU standard 250w clones.

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
@Mabman
I have watched the various Dengfu E10 build here and on Robs channel. I DO* love a project and up until very recently , A "Cheeb" build was on the list along with the Trek and Mondraker.
As I will still have the Bafang Banshee on hand for special ops , (epic exporation rides etc) a conventional 250 for the local trails will be more than adequate and add some diversity to my bike collection.

* Like , I REALLY love a project! So much so that when a project is completed , I either sell it , hang it on the garage or look for a new project. Its an obsession haha.

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
I'm fortunate to have a Trek dealer just down the road and can test ride in the alley behind the shop. Not ideal but the way supply and demand is these days , I don't think many brands are doing demo days at the trails like they used to years ago.
2022 Rails not due until June.
2022 Mondrakers due in March - April I'm told , and I'm leaning toward the Crafty at the moment anyway.

maynard

I'm fortunate to have a Trek dealer just down the road and can test ride in the alley behind the shop. Not ideal but the way supply and demand is these days , I don't think many brands are doing demo days at the trails like they used to years ago.
2022 Rails not due until June.
2022 Mondrakers due in March - April I'm told , and I'm leaning toward the Crafty at the moment anyway.
If you don't need latest model. I would go second hand .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles