Gap between Motor and down tube (e160)?

Bro4adsword

May 6, 2021
Edinburgh, UK
Got my e160 700 a few days ago and after shaking it down I noticed there's quite a gap between the motor and the bottom of the down tube. There's also some foam sticking out. Is this normal?
It's going to get soaked there.
IMG_20210528_120903.jpg

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Normal. Well, my wife's 700 is the same.

For water to drain out that gets under battery cover. Foam is to prevent gunk going in.

My 160 Limited doesn't have the foam!

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Yep mine's exactly the same (e160 8000). One of the reasons I bought the Amygos bash guard. Covers the entire area and bottom/side of motor so bash protection and prevents a lot of mud/water hitting that area. (still lets it drain though)

Endurip

Jan 9, 2021
Sweden
Yep mine's exactly the same (e160 8000). One of the reasons I bought the Amygos bash guard. Covers the entire area and bottom/side of motor so bash protection and prevents a lot of mud/water hitting that area. (still lets it drain though)
Is the Amygos bash guard good and can take a beating?
Cannot order on the Amygos web page - how much does it cost??

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Is the Amygos bash guard good and can take a beating?
Cannot order on the Amygos web page - how much does it cost??

Really impressed with the quality. Fits absolutely perfectly and covers part of the down tube, under and around the motor. Held in place with 2 velcro straps. Foam lined on the inside with what feels like a very tough outer. Hasn't taken any hits yet but off to Wales on Wednesday so will get a proper test then i'd imagine! Think it was about £85 so not cheap but for the amount of protection it looks to offer might be well worth it. Done a few muddy rides though and the amount of crud it's keeping off the motor area can only be a good thing.

Endurip

Jan 9, 2021
Sweden
Really impressed with the quality. Fits absolutely perfectly and covers part of the down tube, under and around the motor. Held in place with 2 velcro straps. Foam lined on the inside with what feels like a very tough outer. Hasn't taken any hits yet but off to Wales on Wednesday so will get a proper test then i'd imagine! Think it was about £85 so not cheap but for the amount of protection it looks to offer might be well worth it. Done a few muddy rides though and the amount of crud it's keeping off the motor area can only be a good thing.
Sounds good!
I have ordered a e160 700 (aluframe) but I hope I will fit

Endurip

Jan 9, 2021
Sweden
I did find the protection and it also fits the allu frame! It would be nice to here a review once you put it to the test, how durable the plastic is towards impact and if it helps preventing water and mud.

Cheers!

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
I did find the protection and it also fits the allu frame! It would be nice to here a review once you put it to the test, how durable the plastic is towards impact and if it helps preventing water and mud.

Cheers!

2 days of riding at Cwmcarn and Afan. 4 trails about 80km in all. It's rocky terrain so there were a fair few rock strikes off the front wheel, couple of knocks where I got caught going over bigger stuff etc and the bashguard is totally fine - barely a scratch on it. It has to be deflecting off of the bottom of the down tube/motor area a fair bit. Day 1 rained for 4 hrs before my 2nd trail and there was definitely a lot less mud/water around the motor area - it still gets in there a bit but the cover is helping. Haven't cleaned it yet from day 2 so I'll try to remember to take some pics if it stops raining here.

1 really minor niggle is that on the drive side the cover comes out around the front chain ring which adds more protection but it seems to rub on the crank ever so slightly. I had a few pedal strikes but don't think I bent anything so think I'll try to reposition the cover slightly or shave a mm or 2 off that area. Think I only noticed it as it had mud/grit on it so it became audible. All in all though i'm still really impressed with it's fit and suitability for the job in hand. Would buy again.

Endurip

Jan 9, 2021
Sweden
2 days of riding at Cwmcarn and Afan. 4 trails about 80km in all. It's rocky terrain so there were a fair few rock strikes off the front wheel, couple of knocks where I got caught going over bigger stuff etc and the bashguard is totally fine - barely a scratch on it. It has to be deflecting off of the bottom of the down tube/motor area a fair bit. Day 1 rained for 4 hrs before my 2nd trail and there was definitely a lot less mud/water around the motor area - it still gets in there a bit but the cover is helping. Haven't cleaned it yet from day 2 so I'll try to remember to take some pics if it stops raining here.

1 really minor niggle is that on the drive side the cover comes out around the front chain ring which adds more protection but it seems to rub on the crank ever so slightly. I had a few pedal strikes but don't think I bent anything so think I'll try to reposition the cover slightly or shave a mm or 2 off that area. Think I only noticed it as it had mud/grit on it so it became audible. All in all though i'm still really impressed with it's fit and suitability for the job in hand. Would buy again.
Thank you, that’s promising!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles