Relocating power button from down tube to top tube

Hugh74

Jan 10, 2021
North Berwick
Hi I’ve got the E140 500 which has the power button located on the downtube. On the higher spec models it’s located on the top tube. There is a blank plate on my top tube so assuming I can buy the top tube switch and install there? Anyone done it? Also where it is on the downtube, my bottle cage gets in the way so it’s awkward to turn reach.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
If the button is a fairly hard to push rubbery thing, I think you're out of luck.

I worked on a merida 140, and the power button was just (for want of a better description) a rubber bung through a hole in the frame that pressed the powert button on the battery.
It would depend on the year i guess

Brendan 140

Jul 23, 2021
Hi I’ve got the E140 500 which has the power button located on the downtube. On the higher spec models it’s located on the top tube. There is a blank plate on my top tube so assuming I can buy the top tube switch and install there? Anyone done it? Also where it is on the downtube, my bottle cage gets in the way so it’s awkward to turn reach.
Well i have heard that IF you have trouble with the button in top tube Under the water bottle is wear you have to access to start bike ?

Hugh74

Jan 10, 2021
North Berwick
If the button is a fairly hard to push rubbery thing, I think you're out of luck.

I worked on a merida 140, and the power button was just (for want of a better description) a rubber bung through a hole in the frame that pressed the powert button on the battery.
It would depend on the year i guess

Yes its exactly that just a rubber bung. My bike is a 2021 E140. Oh well worth a try

Hugh74

Jan 10, 2021
North Berwick
I asked Merida customer services and got this response. Was hoping it would be possible to do yourself but obviously not.

Hi Hugh,

Hope your well.

I would guess that this is possible to accomplish, but I wouldn’t be confident to give you this advise for another brands compatibility. The company responsible for Shimano’s electrical components is Madison. They train and supply the UK stores which have accounts with Madsion/Shimano. I would recommend taking the bike to your local Merida dealer for this work to be undertaken. When fitting new parts that weren’t part of the original set up a diagnostic system check for the computer to recognise the Satellite switch might be needed. This again would be something undertaken by a Merida stockist.

Any and all work needs to be carried out by a Merida stockist, by a trained bike mechanic to retain the various warranties that are in place.

WARRANTY - MERIDA BIKES (merida-bikes.com)

Chriso

Sep 28, 2022
Australia
I have a 2021 e140 400
l just purchased a

EWSW300 power button​

and it works plug and play..
just plugged into the middle port on the ep8 motor that was free and works perfectly

Last edited:

Ashd_AUS

May 19, 2022
Brisbane
I have a 2021 e140 400
l just purchased a

EWSW300 power button​

and it works plug and play..
just plugged into the middle port on the ep8 motor that was free and works perfectly
Yeah I just did this today as well .. easy as! So happy to not try and stick my hand up under the water bottle cage to turn the bike on and off now

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles