E160-9000 Shimano Motor Cover

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
This may be me being a bit pedantic. I just purchased a 20 e160-9000. I installed an invisiframe kit out of the box which allowed me to have a close inspection of the bike. I noticed a small gap between the frame and the top of the plastic motor cover. I removed the cover to see if I could align it better and noted electrical connectors in that area. My concern is that mud and dirt can get through the gap and into that area which may result in a future problem.

Do all the bikes have this slight gap and has there been any issues with dirt ingress. Any solutions if it is in fact a problem.

Merida motor cover.jpg

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
Cant comment on 2020 bikes...or anything other than my own really...
Logic dictates that being made of plastic, they will tend to be a little flexi, and they wont all end up the same from the molding process either... if it appeared to be totally sealed, you can bet it will get damp in there, and be slower to dry out.
The screws are quite small and wont wear repeatedly being put in and out without quickly showing signs of damage and or loss unless you use a locktite......although that shouldnt stop you removing the cover and making sure all is clean and dry behind there. Not sure what kind of regime Id suggest. Screws can be easily enough replaced. As too, the cover. The threaded portion into the motor casings are the bits yu must take care over.
Personally, when I wash the bike, I remove the covers to dry it out back there too...Not sure how sustainable this method will prove to be is what Im saying...

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Should be fine. The electronics all have seals/grommets on the connections so are fully sealed. Shimano motors don't have a problem with water and dirt ingress which the Bosch and Brose seem to fail from.

I wash my bike frequently and spray a little water up in and around the drive unit to remove any dirt build up. Got super muddy the other day so i removed both covers to give it a little flush out, no problems at all

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Did you remove the cover to see what is underneath? It's just 3 screws on my e8000. There is really nothing splash sensitive behind it and my cover has the same bulge.

Reactions: eia

Finken

Feb 2, 2020
skien Norway
Cover all the contcts with Vaseline, or MucOff Ultra corosion defense spray, so it covers it completly. Use also on battery contacts, and charging port.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Did you remove the cover to see what is underneath? It's just 3 screws on my e8000. There is really nothing splash sensitive behind it and my cover has the same bulge.

Yes it appears basicaly the electrical connections and wire bundles thst push out the cover. Quick solution: I am using black electrical tape stretched over the opening. Muddy wet ride today and tape held up well. No dirt in the space under the cover. Not sure how long it will last but a roll of tape is cheap and easy to replace.

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Yes it appears basicaly the electrical connections and wire bundles thst push out the cover. Quick solution: I am using black electrical tape stretched over the opening.

Yeah, same as mine. I thought about some kind of sealing but the cover is not watertight in any way, shape or form so I run what Shimano sold.

Chuckie500

Sep 24, 2020
Santa Barbara
I’m in need of replacement screws for the e8000 battery cover. I cannot locate the screw size (tiny screws!) in the pdf manual. Any thoughts? Also seeking spare battery but I cannot locate in the US. Thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles