Fox X2. 280psi to set sag??

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Sag is just a number, really. Try running the shock at a bit lower pressure and add a couple tokens to avoid bottoming out.

You are much lighter than me though and the pressure you are using does sound a bit high to me. OTOH, even the pressure is just a number too, I guess. You do not really want to go above the maximum allowed, though.
Good advice thanks. Yep, I'm still tinkering, and plan to reduce air a bit more. ?

downhilllister

Dec 26, 2019
nelson new zealand
One can drive themselves nuts trying to get perfection, From my experience different terrain will give you both desired and undesired effects. In the end I set up for 3/4 stroke for most terrain and full stroke achieved only on hard landings. Its then you adjust compression on the fly and have the rebound just under aggressive. A little plush is a good thing on the track, Just need to hit the compression leaver in the twistiness, that will stop the front end diving. Make sure you yell out yeh haaa as you carve the track up.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
One can drive themselves nuts trying to get perfection, From my experience different terrain will give you both desired and undesired effects. In the end I set up for 3/4 stroke for most terrain and full stroke achieved only on hard landings. Its then you adjust compression on the fly and have the rebound just under aggressive. A little plush is a good thing on the track, Just need to hit the compression leaver in the twistiness, that will stop the front end diving. Make sure you yell out yeh haaa as you carve the track up.
Brilliant?. I totally agree, you cannot have it perfect for all that's encountered on the trail and always need a bit of surplus for those hard landings?

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Sag is just a number, really. Try running the shock at a bit lower pressure and add a couple tokens to avoid bottoming out.

You are much lighter than me though and the pressure you are using does sound a bit high to me. OTOH, even the pressure is just a number too, I guess. You do not really want to go above the maximum allowed, though.

it could be that my shock pump isn't reading correct. I wish I hadn't sold my spare now. I could have compared readings from both. As you say, only a number, feel is most important.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Update: After a ride out today, I came back and decided to take one of the volume spacers out to reduce progression a little. I then went through the same process to set sag and this time I acquired it 230psi. So,, not sure if I have been getting any negative air trapped or if my rockshox pump is not reading properly. Bit strange.
For 30% sag I've gone from 280psi no volume spacers, to 250psi with 3 spacers, to 230psi 2 spacers. ?
But as said above they're all just numbers. I'll have to see how it rides.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
For what it's worth, the higher the leverage ratio on your frame, the more psi you'll need to maintain your desired sag point. 3.15 is on the high side for a starting leverage ratio.

Specialized%2BTurbo%2BLevo%2BSL%2B2020_LevRatio.gif

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
For what it's worth, the higher the leverage ratio on your frame, the more psi you'll need to maintain your desired sag point. 3.15 is on the high side for a starting leverage ratio.

Specialized%2BTurbo%2BLevo%2BSL%2B2020_LevRatio.gif
Yeah, this is what I thought before. I watched a YouTube clip with Marshall Mullen who rides a levo SL and has promoted the bike through Specialized and he talks about this.

Harri

Feb 2, 2019
Finland
Thanks for the tips here! I've been struggling with X2 (2019) for 8 months on my SL. I had 265psi, one volume spacer and 30% sag. I needed to ride HSC/LSC fully open and I never got it bottom out even in big hits in bike park. Now I added 2 more volume spacers and got ~30% sag with just 213psi. I went back to fox proposed HSB/LSR/HSC/LSC setup and the bike feels a lot better! Never crossed my mind to add volume spacers when I was not bottoming out... I'm 85kg and I have Lyrik ultimate 160 at the front.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles