Fox DPS squeaking

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Any pointers on this? My DPS Evol has started squeaking. It sounds exactly like a dog's toy as it compresses & rebounds. Not done anything to it since buying the bike. I've read elsewhere they can lose float fluid over time & that the seals can dry out, so I can try a quick service but curious to know if anyone else has been here.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Seals are not "absolute barriers," they're more like "suggestions."

"Oil, I'd really like it if you stay on your own side, and dirt, please don't go over there."

What really happens, though, is every time the shock moves, a teeny tiny film of oil gets dragged to the outside. Dirt particles are bigger, but eventually some of them get dragged to the inside. And the seal itself wears out, resulting in rubber particles floating around in the oil. Eventually most of oil is gone, and crud is on the inside of your shock or fork.

To extend the life and functionality of the shock, once or twice a year it's prudent to remove the air can, clean everything, and add new fluid. This MIGHT solve your problem.

But there are more seals inside the shock. If a little nitrogen works its way into the oil, it will make a squeaking noise when the shock moves quickly. If it's bad, you might notice a lack of damping. The remedy for this is to send the shock in for service. Optimally, it's best to service the shock before it starts getting bad.

Just remember that servicing the air can isn't the same as a full service on the damper. You can do the air can yourself in less time than it takes to drive to the bike shop. It's not a bad idea to change the air can seals at the same time. The damper requires specialized tools, and it's rare that a bike shop can do it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles