• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Fork upgrade from Suntour XCM

snapdragon

Dec 25, 2018
NZ
Hey guys

Hoping someone can help :)

I've just bought my first e-bike - the Giant Talon E+3. I was hoping to get something a bit higher specced but it really was all I could find without having to wait until next year for stock.

Overall I love the bike - but I would like to upgrade the fork from the crappy Suntour XCM.

I'm not doing any intense riding, just cruising around the river trails and occasionally the mountain bike park. No jumps or anything crazy, I'm a bit of a newb. So I don't think I need anything super high-end.

So I'm looking at the Suntour Raidon 100mm air fork which seems to be a good cost effective upgrade for around $400.

My question is, how do I know that this will fit? Or should I be looking to spend a bit more on a better fork? I know my current fork is QR, but that's about it.

I do have a bike mechanic friend who can fit it for me, I just need to make sure I get the right part.

Any info or advice would be really appreciated :)

Cheers.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
You have a fairly budget bike, and it's a hardtail. Why do you want to upgrade the forks?

My bike is budget, and has forks that many dislike (rockshox gold 35rl). I'm not a good enough rider to know. I keep everything serviced and maintained and as well set up for me as I can - knowledge is one of my limiting factors. Treat the bike as a learning experience; get the most out of it that you can. I've been progressing to black trails, jumps and drops. I know that the bike isn't my limiting factor. I still have an ancient ht that I loved riding when my full susser was out of action every now and then. I found I could ride the same stuff, just slower and more attention on picking lines.

snapdragon

Dec 25, 2018
NZ
I'd like to upgrade because i've noticed if I'm cruising along at fairly low speed and hit a tree root or bump, they bottom out very quickly.

Plus they don't have a lock out which I'd like.

I think the bike would benefit greatly from a slightly better fork, the rest of the setup is perfect for my riding style, the fork is the only real let down.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
You need to know what you have first then so that you can get something that will work with your wheel and rotor. For example you may need to also buy an adaptor for your rotor size, which is no big issue. Your fork possibly already has an adapter, or it natively fits a 180mm rotor? Then there is the steering tube diameter / diameters. If you go here and click on search (the magnifying glass) there is a space to enter the serial number of your forks. I'm guessing it will come back with the specs. for it among other things. So, you want a fork that has the same wheel attachment (axle etc), same amount of travel (100mm), same wheel size (29"), same steerer tube diameter/s etc. At least then you'll know some basic specs that the fork has to have. If you supplied a list of what's available to suit your bike and budget, perhaps others can give you their opinions / knowledge on those forks?

Last edited:

snapdragon

Dec 25, 2018
NZ
Thanks very much for the input.

Looks like I have the Suntour 29" XCM 100mm overdrive steerer 1.1/8" 9mm QR coil fork.

The fork I'm looking at is the SUNTOUR 29" RAIDON-XC AIR 100MM LO-R-29 1"1/8 STRAIGHT STEERER 9MM QR AIR FORK

Looks to me like that might do the trick?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A decent quality upgrade would be something like the Rockshox Judy Gold Solo Air....and you could go 120 mm rather than stick at 100mm. Just make sure the options you select are 9mm QR and 1 1/2 to 1 1/8 steerer.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
A decent quality upgrade would be something like the Rockshox Judy Gold Solo Air....and you could go 120 mm rather than stick at 100mm. Just make sure the options you select are 9mm QR and 1 1/2 to 1 1/8 steerer.
is that what an "overdrive" steerer is? So the 1 1/8 straight steerer he is considering won't be appropriate? Ahh, just found this "while the mountain version features 1 1/8-inch top and 1 1/2-inch bottom bearings" re overdrive. So a straight 1 1/8 steerer won't work.

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
is that what an "overdrive" steerer is? So the 1 1/8 straight steerer he is considering won't be appropriate? Ahh, just found this "while the mountain version features 1 1/8-inch top and 1 1/2-inch bottom bearings" re overdrive. So a straight 1 1/8 steerer won't work.
Overdrive is Giants term for a tapered steerer ( 1 1/8 to 1 1/2). Giant also have Overdrive 2 which has a larger upper diameter than 1 1/8. Neither is a straight steerer.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I think it's going to be hard to find an "upgrade" that is 9mm quick release.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Yeah that's why I was thinking the Suntour Raidon might be a decent upgrade as it's 9mm QR - I just wanted to make sure it would definitely fit. I'm still not quite sure haha
Except it is a "1 1/8" straight steerer. What you need is where the single part of the fork goes into the frame, the top fits into 1 1/8", and the bottom is wider and fits into 1.5"; you need a tapered steerer, not a straight steerer. The mix you need does not seem that common.

If you think you've found something, it might pay to post it here to see if it is the right thing. As mikerb said "Just make sure the options you select are 9mm QR and 1 1/2 to 1 1/8 steerer." Also 29" and 100mm travel (or 120mm). Obviously you'd prefer air. The tapered version (CTS) of this would work.

Another possibility would be to get a heavier spring for your fork. You would need to know the right diameter of your forks, and try to order it through somebody. You can find part #s here. Or, approach the LBS you bought the bike from and handball it to them?

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think it's going to be hard to find an "upgrade" that is 9mm quick release.
The RS Judy Gold Solo Air is available with 9mm QR.......

So you need a fork..preferably Air spring fork.....100mm or ( probably better) 120mm travel. Tapered steerer. To suit your wheel size ( ie 27.5 or 29) with 9mm QR axle ( ie not 15mm or 15mm boost).......and capable of accepting whatever size brake rotor you have. ( Specs of RS Forks on the SRAM website will tell you what rotor size each fork accepts) .

Whoever is going to fit it for you needs a star nut setting tool and a steerer cutting tool.

Last edited:

snapdragon

Dec 25, 2018
NZ
The RS Judy Gold Solo Air is available with 9mm QR.......

So you need a fork..preferably Air spring fork.....100mm or ( probably better) 120mm travel. Tapered steerer. To suit your wheel size ( ie 27.5 or 29) with 9mm QR axle ( ie not 15mm or 15mm boost).......and capable of accepting whatever size brake rotor you have. ( Specs of RS Forks on the SRAM website will tell you what rotor size each fork accepts) .

Whoever is going to fit it for you needs a star nut setting tool and a steerer cutting tool.

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to know. Cheers!

snapdragon

Dec 25, 2018
NZ
Cool...show us a pic.

IMG_20201219_120024.jpg

did you fit it yourself? Was it straightforward?

I ended up going to a local bike shop to source the parts, and they offered to do the install for free.

Just had to change the front hub to the thru-axle type.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles