Fork recommendations for e140 400

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Hi Team EMTB

So my E140 has the Suntour XCR34 on it - its rubbish. Clunking/noisy over rough terrain & generally just crappy. What would be the best replacement for it, bang for buck is what I'm looking for? I dont need Fox Factory level Fork as I'm not doing anything extreme... now downhill... mainly just green trails, lots of nasty gravel and dirt tracks etc (hard and rocky)

This is the bike I have.. I'm happy to keep the same 140mm travel as well.

eONE-FORTY_400_ornblk_MY2021.tif

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Either a Fox 34 or a RockShox Pike might suit. The Pike would be more *all terrain* and the 34 would be more *XC* although both are capable. The Pike will have less flex but the 34 is lighter. You're much lighter than I, so you probably don't need the extra heft of the Pike.

You said you don't need *factory*. That has little to do with how aggressively you ride the bike and more to do with how adjustable the fork is and the higher quality damper and components. A higher spec can feel more *plush*. In Fox you can look at Performance Elite, which is Factory without the Kashima coating, basically.

If a Fox 34 performance Elite is in your budget I think you'd be happy with it. Then a Pike or a Fox 36 if you want less flex.

Just my 0.02. There are many options.

Gordon

p.s. I chose to fit a Pike Ultimate to my Merida E-hardtail and I really really like it.

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Either a Fox 34 or a RockShox Pike might suit. The Pike would be more *all terrain* and the 34 would be more *XC* although both are capable. The Pike will have less flex but the 34 is lighter. You're much lighter than I, so you probably don't need the extra heft of the Pike.

You said you don't need *factory*. That has little to do with how aggressively you ride the bike and more to do with how adjustable the fork is and the higher quality damper and components. A higher spec can feel more *plush*. In Fox you can look at Performance Elite, which is Factory without the Kashima coating, basically.

If a Fox 34 performance Elite is in your budget I think you'd be happy with it. Then a Pike or a Fox 36 if you want less flex.

Just my 0.02. There are many options.

Gordon

p.s. I chose to fit a Pike Ultimate to my Merida E-hardtail and I really really like it.

Thanks for the recommendations and the info re *factory*. I think I'll just keep an eye out for what I can find and let the budget expand as I am searching :)

Studley

Aug 24, 2020
QLD Australia
I have the same bike and plan on upgrading to a Marzocchi Z2. It's more than enough for my skills, good price and less adjustment means less fiddling and more enjoying riding!

Also might pay to check your rear shock - there have been multiple failures around oz due to overly thick grease clogging up a internal port, causes the air chambers to equalize. A full degrease and rebuild with fox lube seems to have fixed mine

Last edited:

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
I have the same bike and plan on upgrading to a Marzocchi Z2. It's more than enough for my skills, good price and less adjustment means less fiddling and more enjoying riding!

Also might pay to check your rear shock - there have been multiple failures around oz due to overly thick grease clogging up a internal port, causes the air chambers to equalize. A full degrease and rebuild with fox lube seems to have fixed mine

Cheers Studley

Like this ? Marzocchi Bomber Z2 Black 29" - 2020

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne

somy bike is in the shop at the moment. The rear shock was making a terrible clunking sound when riding over any bumpy terrain. They think it might need replacing.

I’m thinking I’ll just upgrade it first but I have no idea what to buy or look for.

if anyone has any ideas on the measurements I need to look for that’d be great.

Studley

Aug 24, 2020
QLD Australia
205x57.5 trunnion is stock.

You can in theory fit a 205x60 trunnion and get approx 10-15mm more rear travel. Lots more shocks available in this size.

Options in those sizes are Rockshox deluxe or super deluxe, DT swiss R535, DVO Jade. Haven't bothered looking at Fox as there is no stock in AUS anyway.

My replaced then rebuilt shock has been fine so I'm planning on upgrading the fork first as the stock suntour is hot garbage

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
205x57.5 trunnion is stock.

You can in theory fit a 205x60 trunnion and get approx 10-15mm more rear travel. Lots more shocks available in this size.

Options in those sizes are Rockshox deluxe or super deluxe, DT swiss R535, DVO Jade. Haven't bothered looking at Fox as there is no stock in AUS anyway.

My replaced then rebuilt shock has been fine so I'm planning on upgrading the fork first as the stock suntour is hot garbage

Thank you so much Studley. I really appreciate your help.

With my rear shock, I'm not sure if its kaput or a rebuild could sort it out. I'll ask the shop today. Be better to put the $ into the fork I suppose.

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
So I found a used but new (it was removed off a brand new bike) Fox 34 Performance 150mm fork for the front... came off a Levo! So that will be fitted next week.

My rear shock failed. Its being replaced under warranty, so waiting for the new unit to arrive. Thinking I could do as above and have the new one rebuilt to be erm 'better' or will see what Fox shocks come into stock over the next few months.

I've come to realise that the bike probably had a failed rear shock from near new now I know what to look for. I was having some nasty pedal strikes on things our other bikes weren't hitting - LBS says thats probably the rear shock misbehaving!

Brendan 140

Jul 23, 2021
Thanks Rob watched heaps of your reviews .Maybe you can help how do i post on existing forums Have Merida e 140 /400 Australian lowest speck .And have to agree with a lot of people that for 6 k suntour forks and shock are rubbish 2nd time for warranty for fork shock blown as well Bought set Pike select + to go on it came off Santa cruz Think Merida made a big mistake here Should of at least given us a choice of the 500 series in Aus with Marzocchi z2

Brendan 140

Jul 23, 2021
Hi Team EMTB

So my E140 has the Suntour XCR34 on it - its rubbish. Clunking/noisy over rough terrain & generally just crappy. What would be the best replacement for it, bang for buck is what I'm looking for? I dont need Fox Factory level Fork as I'm not doing anything extreme... now downhill... mainly just green trails, lots of nasty gravel and dirt tracks etc (hard and rocky)

This is the bike I have.. I'm happy to keep the same 140mm travel as well.

eONE-FORTY_400_ornblk_MY2021.tif
Had exactly same issues .Pike are 35 mm stanchions only 1850 grams so .5 kg lighter than the rubbish XCR

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Had exactly same issues .Pike are 35 mm stanchions only 1850 grams so .5 kg lighter than the rubbish XCR

yeh I’ve got the fox 34 performance on now and it’s night and day.

rear shock replaced under warranty but I’ll be looking for a matching Fox shock at some point. There’s no stock anywhere.

and yes Merida - surely it wouldn’t cost much more to add slightly better fork/shock combo. For $6200 AUD it’s a bit of a joke to have bikes with failing rear shocks after 100 or so km!!

Brendan 140

Jul 23, 2021
yeh I’ve got the fox 34 performance on now and it’s night and day.

rear shock replaced under warranty but I’ll be looking for a matching Fox shock at some point. There’s no stock anywhere.

and yes Merida - surely it wouldn’t cost much more to add slightly better fork/shock combo. For $6200 AUD it’s a bit of a joke to have bikes with failing rear shocks after 100 or so km!!
Totally agree Ns\S Dynamics have DVO piggy back air shock Topaz for $650 so by the time ad forks $1000 shock $650 to $1000 .If had known this would of bought better first time SHAME SHAME SHAME merida XCR fork retails like $480

Brendan 140

Jul 23, 2021
I would have bought the 500 instead of the 400 if they brought it in. When they launched the price difference in the UK was around $450 AUD! Bargain!
Definitely paid more than that to upgrade Warranty only covers work still got pay courier fees

Brendan 140

Jul 23, 2021
Once i put new Pike forks on going to save put DVO Topaz air shock on So adds up $5700 for bike
pike $ 1000
shock $ 650 = $7300 Should of bought better bike first up i think What you men think?

Brendan 140

Jul 23, 2021
Well interesting that Merida has no imported the E 140 500 with the Marzzochi fork probably due to all the complaints with the suntour XCR would have been nice to have been given choice earlier instead of having to spend another thousand to get desent forks PIKE select +

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
My other half has this bike and is loverly apart from the suspension I rode it yesterday and the forks felt like they are made of wood. I am sure it was not like that when she got it. She is Pretty light and only rides it very cautiously. Bike has only done 300 miles

I might let bike shop have a look at it and see what they think if no good I have some rock shox 35 gold off my bike could put on it.

Studley

Aug 24, 2020
QLD Australia
I put a Marzocchi Z2 on mine a few months ago.

Completely transforms it, no more skittish chatter and takes big hits so much better.

Definitely recommend, especially for the price!

OmarVR

Nov 3, 2019
Ponferrada, Spain
hello, this is my merida alloy eOne Forty Limited Edition 2020, I have changed the front suspension for a Marzocchi bomber z1 150mm and the rear shock for a Marzocchi bomber cr, measuring 205x65, getting 150mm of rear travel (same as the eOne Sixty) and the change has been very good, I recommend it!
IMG20220419204835[2918].jpg

Kostya_12975

Feb 21, 2021
Россия
привет, это мой мерида сплав eOne Forty Limited Edition 2020, я изменил переднюю подвеску для бомбардировщика Marzocchi z1 150mm и задний амортизатор для бомбардировщика Marzocchi cr, размером 205x65, получив 150 мм заднего хода (так же, как eOne Sixty) и изменение было очень хорошим, я рекомендую его! View attachment 87790
[/ЦИТАТА]
what kind of angle did you get with this fork?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles