Fork Quandary

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Generally, mountain bikers are a friendly, helpful group. I have learnt a massive amount from the general collective on this forum, and the vast majority have bent over backwards to answer my silly questions.

It is a shame about the small minority who ruin it, and it does a disservice to the forum and its members.

On a different note, I upgraded to a zeb ultimate. Soaks up the small and big hits beautifully.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Can you make this a bike sticker? Would be so awesome to put my DH bike. Also when I beat all the womens Strava times (identifying as a woman) I feel……appropriate

I had this made and installed on all my bikes. Highly motivational.

PedalYouPussy.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You forgot this :

that’s where I got lost - the cheap tat part. Wants expensive forks for not off-roading but doesn’t want expensive ones and doesn’t want cheap ones.

its cool he’s building ‘classic‘ bikes. If I were him I’d keep the classic look or go with an intend upside down fork.

also yeah the dudes rushing down pedestrians is absurd. But some people get their rocks off on terrorizing people.
I don't think he'll like what the experts say. I'm pretty sure Neeko recommends a Fox40 for urban terror - with at least 180mm travel - people on average have got fatter, you don't want to go OTB when you mow down a whole group and a double crown gives you lots more places to trap and crush people hands and things.

You'd think someone would make a lightweight double crown look alike for all the urban terror crowd who only need 20mm travel ?

In the meantime, these seem ideal :

1661261326704.png

1661261359496.png

Double crown, upside down with blood guards on the lowers :

1661261401067.png

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
You also want top notch small bump compliance when running over someone's face. Absolute deal breaker.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ohh those blood guards are on point. I hate when I get blood all over me and it coagulates and drys in the moving parts of things. brains are the worse, it’s a smell that I can never forget but can’t explain, And they look like exploded ramen noodles. Ugh that feel when I crush a scull with my car tire and it feels and sounds like a watermelon.

full face motorcycle helmet for me.
You need to create a thread in the lounge for the Urban destroyers to discuss their 50kg, 50kmph, 200km range 200mm travel pavement use "Mountain Bikes" .. call it "Death Race 2000" or something.

Obviously you can add in all your favourite bits of blood and gore which they'll no doubt find titillating.

There must be a million things to discuss ? Which MTB tyre works best on freshly dropped takeaway ? Why is Muc off so poor at removing finger nails from motor vents ? Do you need a steering damper when you run 1000mm solid steel bars ? What's the best way of filling your tyres with concrete ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
True. Gotta think about the children. Running them over is not high speed dampening controls. Completely different and gotta have low speed tuning. Damn kids.
They probably run a remote damping control with a "target size" selector ? Some of the Scott bikes come pre-equipped with the pedestrian size selector - you just need to change the sticker to make it easier to understand under high pressure shopping mall moments.

Staff member
Subscriber
Jul 15, 2020
FORUM
We don't normally engage in direct forum communication.

In this instance, so we can lock the thread and avoid the need to delete @BAMBAMODA's future posts maybe we can suggest that the reason you're closed to other peoples advice is because you've already answered your own question ?

I want to buy a new fork for the bike -

the domain RC is in the region of £450. A good saving over the others.

Im not really offroading, but i dont do cheap tat.

care to share. Thoughts, feelings etc.

£450 is still not "cheap". You say you're not really off roading, so it only has to connect the wheel to the frame and handlebars - it's a 2.5kg 38mm fork - it will do that admirably.

I've included the last line to remind you that you did ask for peoples thoughts and feelings "etc".

As mentioned, we don't normally engage in forum responses, but we have made an exception rather than just the normal slapping of wrists.

Just to remind everyone to be polite. Humour is obviously accepted, but please try not to cross the line and remember to respect your fellow members, they may have other things going on in their lives.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Fox 40's with a cow catcher welded on the front would be my recommended solution for pedestrian destruction !
for a little extra kick, add an electric fence zapper, may add a little weight but think of the critical hits you could get in, wouldnt have to turn around and have a second go at them anyway.... probably would also dismiss armour as well as give a +10 defence buff..

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Had a go on this today .. Had been raced in the British DH championship. Hand made frame. Lots of funky antique bits. Scary geometry. Felt like it weighs about the same as a battery.

Magnesium forks. Titanium bars .. Owner still rides it !

...and it has the same head tube angle as the trials bike Santa Cruz built for Danny Macaskill!

scb_web_4e0a9264.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles