Focus TEC pack doesn't work after changing the internal battery (Focus Jam2)

KVDB

Apr 16, 2023
Netherlands
I needed to replace the internal battery on my Focus Jam2 2018 (E8000) as the internal battery was broken (see the full thread here).

After replacing the battery I found out to my surprise that the system doesn't work anymore in combination with the TEC pack.

-The system is working OK without the TEC pack connected
-Once I connect the TEC pack, the LED light on the on/off button of the bike is not turning blue, and the display is not coming on.
-The TEC pack is fully charged
-I've cleaned the ports with contact spray, but I doubt if weak connections are the issue anyway, as the TEC pack was working fine before the internal battery replacement.

It looks like the system recognises that the TEC pack is connected (otherwise it would start the system from the internal battery), but strangely enough the system is not turning on. It looks like that the TEC pack is somehow not compatible with the new version of the battery that I bought (although it's 'model-wise' the same battery, and originally Focus, but maybe just a newer version), or maybe I'm simply overlooking something else?

Did anybody experience a similar issue with the TEC pack? (especially after changing the internal battery)? It would be a joke in case it's indeed a compatibility issue, and I'm not able to use the TEC pack anymore...

KVDB

Apr 16, 2023
Netherlands
Problem is solved already - It seemed that the TEC pack cable was just not firmly enough in place. I started thinking way to complicated, but forgot about the most easy and fundamental solution :)

Anyway... the connectors of the TEC pack cable are quite fiddly and it seems you have to push them very well in place to make a proper connection.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
The Rosenberger connector used on the early Focus e-bikes is a good one, with up to 4 signal wires as well as the power ones, and the magnetic connection helps with correct orientation and has a long service life with no threads etc. They can become prone to corrosion/oxidisation though and don’t seat as slickly as new once they get used a bit.

I think it’s only Specialized who use them now, but the whole e-bike battery connector picture is a mess, and it would be great if there was some standardisation so that you don’t need a proprietary charger for different brands.

I work in aviation, and the number of bespoke connectors in use is similar, all functional but often seemingly for no other reason than to ensure you have to buy replacements from the original manufacturer.

Glad you’ve sorted yours anyway!

Stejeep

May 23, 2023
Walsall
I needed to replace the internal battery on my Focus Jam2 2018 (E8000) as the internal battery was broken (see the full thread here).

After replacing the battery I found out to my surprise that the system doesn't work anymore in combination with the TEC pack.

-Once I connect the TEC pack, the LED light on the on/off button of the bike is not turning blue, and the display is not coming on.
-I've cleaned the ports with contact spray, but I doubt if weak connections are the issue anyway, as the TEC pack was working fine before the internal battery replacement.

It looks like the system recognises that the TEC pack is connected (otherwise it would start the system from the internal battery), but strangely enough the system is not turning on. It looks like that the TEC pack is somehow not compatible with the new version of the battery that I bought (although it's 'model-wise' the same battery, and originally Focus, but maybe just a newer version), or maybe I'm simply overlooking something else?

Did anybody experience a similar issue with the TEC pack? (especially after changing the internal battery)? It would be a joke in case it's indeed a compatibility issue, and I'm not able to use the TEC pack anymore...
Hi I have a focus sam2 2017 or 18 model and I want to replace the internal battery we’re did you get yours from as I e been looking all over the net for one without success

Stejeep

May 23, 2023
Walsall
I’ve bought mine via my local Focus dealer, but online I also found this Italian webshop:
Spare battery 378Wh 10,5Ah for Jam2, Sam2 and Bold2 Shimano engine FO
How much did they charge for the battery
I’ve bought mine via my local Focus dealer, but online I also found this Italian webshop:
Spare battery 378Wh 10,5Ah for Jam2, Sam2 and Bold2 Shimano engine
515 euro incl. VAT

I’m trying to look for one in the UK since the UK left the EU anything brought outside the country is subject to 20% import tax which makes it more expensive :(

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
How much did they charge for the battery

I’m trying to look for one in the UK since the UK left the EU anything brought outside the country is subject to 20% import tax which makes it more expensive :(

Have you tried contacting J E James in Rotherham? They’re a Focus dealer and supplied my Tec Pack and another charger really quickly even though I hadn’t purchased my bike via them originally.

Stejeep

May 23, 2023
Walsall
Have you tried contacting J E James in Rotherham? They’re a Focus dealer and supplied my Tec Pack and another charger really quickly even though I hadn’t purchased my bike via them originally.
No but I will Try them
But thank you for the help I love this type of forums they really do help you out of a jam

Apr 19, 2023
Abergavenny
I have just replaced the internal battery in my 2019 Focus Jam2. Internal battery works fine but I’ve also found that the TEC pack no longer works although it wa working fine before. TEC pack charges ok but connect it up and it’s not working. Cleaned the connectors and made sure they were well seated but no joy. Any way of resetting the TEC pack or ideas?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I have just replaced the internal battery in my 2019 Focus Jam2. Internal battery works fine but I’ve also found that the TEC pack no longer works although it wa working fine before. TEC pack charges ok but connect it up and it’s not working. Cleaned the connectors and made sure they were well seated but no joy. Any way of resetting the TEC pack or ideas?
I had the very same experience when I replaced the internal battery on my Jam2 in January. New battery fine, my Trailwatts extender worked fine but the TEC battery just would not connect.
The local Focus dealer said he knew of no reason why the TEC battery should not work.
I thought I may have had a wiring loom issue but now I am thinking that something has changed slightly in the new internal battery's circuitry/BMS.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
This website in Italy offeres the TEC at €493.20, they also have the standard battery at €577.
Here is a link to Ridewill.it
There's no problem getting the batteries Prostu, just go to your local Focus dealer and give him £510 for the internal one.
The problem is getting your 'old' TEC battery to work with your 'new' internal battery.

Prostu2

Jun 18, 2023
Morpeth, England
There's no problem getting the batteries Prostu, just go to your local Focus dealer and give him £510 for the internal one.
The problem is getting your 'old' TEC battery to work with your 'new' internal battery.
I am thinking of adding the TEC battery to the 4 year old standard one, which might be loosing its capacity.
I just bought the bike 2 days ago. The charger only displays thecgreen flashing light & does not go onto fully charged light. This means the standard battery might just be at 61% to 80%.
I do not know if this might cause a problem.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I am thinking of adding the TEC battery to the 4 year old standard one, which might be loosing its capacity.
I just bought the bike 2 days ago. The charger only displays thecgreen flashing light & does not go onto fully charged light. This means the standard battery might just be at 61% to 80%.
I do not know if this might cause a problem.
Have you read my response to your other thread on this topic?
I would have thought that before you start adding TEC batteries you need to work out why your current internal battery isn't charging.
Hope you got the bike cheap as it sounds a bit dodgy..

merlot

Apr 27, 2021
ES
Hello,

In my case, after changing internal battery, one month ago, the TEC pack is working find, but not my DIY extender

Any clue?

Prostu2

Jun 18, 2023
Morpeth, England
Have you read my response to your other thread on this topic?
I would have thought that before you start adding TEC batteries you need to work out why your current internal battery isn't charging.
Hope you got the bike cheap as it sounds a bit dodgy..

The bikes ok. I justvhad to take the side cover off the motor, unplug the main electrical cable for a minute, then put it back together and the battery fully charges.
However, twice now the error code W013 has shown on the computer, this means the torque sensor is not initiating. So side cover needs taken off again and cable reset. Its annoying as assist wont work due to error.
Been asked to possibly look for a software upgrade.

hk3mcm

Feb 7, 2020
Miami Beach, Florida

I have no information about the problem, it could be that it would be necessary to drain the new battery first and then connect the T.E.C system.
If you make the decision to sell the additional T.E.C battery pack, please let me know that I am interested in purchasing a TEC.
If you have information where I could buy it in the USA for shipping to Miami Florida, I would appreciate it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles