Focus Sam2 6.8 broke after first day.

Tattoobloke

Oct 30, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all just joined last night so newbie to the site. Got my first ebike delivered on Thursday last week so was really keen to get out yesterday in the woods. Tested lots of bikes and found the focus to be great value for money and some good kit on, including I thought was the best motor the Bosch.
I rode all day tho the slope and climbed every hill I could find until I started to get a really load noise coming from the motor when in free wheel mode, fine when climbing.
I had to cut my ride short as the noise is getting worse and when in free wheel mode it starts to slightly turn the crank ??? Gutted saved for ages to get this bike and broke after 1 day will be phoning the shop Monday for a replacement. Any ideas what this could be ?????????

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Are you sure it is the motor rather than the freehub? I accept that things can go wrong in the motor but under normal circumstances if you freewheel the motor is not fed with any power. It is certainly worth checking the operation of your freehub as a first step.

PG 1230 Eagle Cassette on your bike?? If so the freehub is the Shimano HG pawl type. The symptoms you describe could well be one or more pawls damaged. Simple job to check.

Last edited:

Tattoobloke

Oct 30, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi thanks for the reply, never thought about that. Just sounds like noise coming from the motor but yes will have a look at that first.
Still not good after one day riding

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Hi thanks for the reply, never thought about that. Just sounds like noise coming from the motor but yes will have a look at that first.
Still not good after one day riding
Its still under brand new guarantee so the shop should take it in and look at it without any obligation to you to shell out any money.
I'd the rear brake losing bite in the first week and i suspect it was just air in the system, possibly the hose not as tight as it should have been, Took it in and they rebled it the same day.
I could have sorted it myself, I've been servicing, stripping and fixing disc brakes since about 98, but thats not the point. Should have worked perfectly from the off, so it was the sellers job to sort it, which they did.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles