Focus Jam2 2019 KS oe dropper lever

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Was going to change the flat OE bars on the Jam to one with a bit more rise and sweep but the KS plastic dropper remote will not loosen. The captive nut just keeps spinning.

I tried inserting 1mm spacers for grip and also applied some freeze spray to see if it would loosen. Any one changed their lever for aftermarket one? If so did you have any problems removing the lever and if so what tricks did you use?

Trying to do this without destroying the lever but I suspect as the nut is turning it probably won't grip well now so will prob need to go aftermarket as well. The brake levers are Shimano MT501 and not sure if they are compatible with any clamp onto brake lever style or whether I will need handlebar clamp type which with the standard e8000 ebike control might be a bit tight.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I broke* the dropper post cable so had to take the lever off as part of the replacement exercise. I had no problem with this. I guess yours may have been crossthreaded on assembly. ☹

(* the cable seemed to have been neatly cut through at the lever as there was only one strand of wire left activating the seat. Not sure what, or how that happened)

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
I broke* the dropper post cable so had to take the lever off as part of the replacement exercise. I had no problem with this. I guess yours may have been crossthreaded on assembly. ☹

(* the cable seemed to have been neatly cut through at the lever as there was only one strand of wire left activating the seat. Not sure what, or how that happened)
I managed to drill the nut and get it out, then used a longer allen screw and nut so the nut is not in the recess. Not as neat looking but salvaged the lever. Will leave upgrade of lever for another day.

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
The stock lever on my Jam 2 2018 was just awful, to say the least. Actually I found myself not using dropper post that much because of it. After upgrading it to PNW loam though the guys say I use the dropper way too much - at any occasion, it seems :) It just feels waaay more easy to press. YMMV, but I would just replace the stock, if you have the chance. No issues encountered during the upgrade

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
The stock lever on my Jam 2 2018 was just awful, to say the least. Actually I found myself not using dropper post that much because of it. After upgrading it to PNW loam though the guys say I use the dropper way too much - at any occasion, it seems :) It just feels waaay more easy to press. YMMV, but I would just replace the stock, if you have the chance. No issues encountered during the upgrade
Are you using the original e8000 switch unit with the two paddles? I did not think there would be enough space for an under bar type lever

Shimano_Steps_SW-E8000_Schalter_Links[640x480] (1).jpg

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
No, that POS actually just went tits up after a first _ascend_ in the mountain bike park elevator - gentle pull in the cable killed it. Took it apart but there was no mechanical damage. So I just got e7000 and was using it instead. Actually feels a lot nicer too , compared to those faux mechanical clicks of e8000

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles