Focus jam2 6.8 plus 2019. No charge or switch on

Tonycrc

Nov 27, 2019
North Wales
Afternoon
Focus jam2 6.8 plus 2019
It won't charge or switch on. Work perfectly fine, cpl laps around Llandegla, came home and next day washed it. Let dry off in garage. Then put charger on it.. green light flashed on then slowed and clicked on, 20 secs later clicked off. Did this for about 1 min then solid red light... have spare on/off switch changed over still same.. stripped bike down motor and battery out, no sign of any water etc. Check charging port all cleaned .. Cleaned everything up and put new gear cable inner /outer in for good measure. Tried bike again nothing. If bounce bike the blue light on switch comes on same as when trying to charge it.... any ideas before get new battery
Cheers
Tony

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Hello,

do you have any way to check the current voltage of the battery? Like a voltmeter...

Tonycrc

Nov 27, 2019
North Wales
Turns out there is a reset button inside the battery, pushed it and battery and bije now working.. wouldn't take apart if bike still in warranty as it is tamperproof

Tonycrc

Nov 27, 2019
North Wales
it's this little button and green led should come on too then it was fine... like said battery case is very fragile so I'd only try it our of warranty

FB_IMG_1667813960268.jpg

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Very interesting. My 2018 Jam 2 Drifter has done exactly the same thing. It's always been a complete PITA with electrical gremlins, it seem to hate being washed.
Mine would not turn on or take a charge. When I dropped the motor and removed the battery I connected everything up again and tried to charge. Only one of the charge level indicators on the outside of the casing illuminated, the one in the middle, so I assumed the battery was cream crackered and resigned myself to buying a new one if I wanted to get the bike going again.
I might give your potential fix a go now but have read in the past that the casing is tricky to get off.

Tonycrc

Nov 27, 2019
North Wales
Yes if you gently go around the case join with Stanley blade and maybe gently warm it, which I should of done.. then I used flat blade stumpy screwdriver to prize it open

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It sounds like the battery protected itself due to a short circuit elsewhere on the network. Well done on finding the reset switch but do not ignore what probably caused it to go into defence mode in the first place. There is probably either a charging port or on/off switch....or maybe terminal connection at the motor PCB which is not well protected against water ingress.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
If it is a reset button, I'll find out on mine tomorrow, it's pretty useless if you can't get at it.
Maybe a hole drilled in the casing, with a temporary seal obviously, might be an option.

Tonycrc

Nov 27, 2019
North Wales
It sounds like the battery protected itself due to a short circuit elsewhere on the network. Well done on finding the reset switch but do not ignore what probably caused it to go into defence mode in the first place. There is probably either a charging port or on/off switch....or maybe terminal connection at the motor PCB which is not well protected against water ingress.
Think water got into it as raining and washed it.

Shorty4

Nov 7, 2022
Australia
My Jam did the same after wet weather and a wash so I'll have a go at disassembling the battery and finding the reset button. I did find a little bit of corrosion in both the charge port and the battery multi connector and cleaned both up with a good dose of contact cleaner and soft cloth.
Once the main battery had shut down then nothing worked at all even if the TEC pack was connected.
I did have the on/off button flash blue if the bike was bounced too.

Tonycrc

Nov 27, 2019
North Wales
My Jam did the same after wet weather and a wash so I'll have a go at disassembling the battery and finding the reset button. I did find a little bit of corrosion in both the charge port and the battery multi connector and cleaned both up with a good dose of contact cleaner and soft cloth.
Once the main battery had shut down then nothing worked at all even if the TEC pack was connected.
I did have the on/off button flash blue if the bike was bounced too.
Yes I had exactly the same conditions as you have described.. bounce it and blue light.. TEC pack won't work if main battery faulty as it needs to go tho the circuit board of main battery.

Shorty4

Nov 7, 2022
Australia
Tony so how did you get the battery case apart? I've had a bit of a go but it's glued together pretty well plus there is no way to access the tubes where the mounting bolts pass through , my Jam is a carbon frame so the battery might be different.

Tonycrc

Nov 27, 2019
North Wales
Tony so how did you get the battery case apart? I've had a bit of a go but it's glued together pretty well plus there is no way to access the tubes where the mounting bolts pass through , my Jam is a carbon frame so the battery might be different.
Yes if you gently go around the case join with Stanley blade and maybe gently warm it, which I should of done.. then I used flat blade stumpy screwdriver to slowly prize it open... its takes bit of time and effort to get apart

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Just had a look at my battery.

The good news is that the casing came a part okay. I used a half inch chisel for the initial separation until I could get a flat blade screwdriver in. I worked from above, pressing down on the casing to help release the clips. I also found the wedges that you use to keep your brake pads separated when the a wheel is removed useful to stop the clips springing closed again.

The bad news is that press that little button as much as I could, nothing happened.

Looks like the poor old Focus is spares and scrap after all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles