Focus Jam squared seized main suspension pivot

ggrin

Feb 11, 2019
Scotland
My jam main bottom suspension pivot is seriously f***d. Bearings knackered, possible frame damage. Problem I have is that the main thru pivot axle will not come out. Its a hollow pivot with a conical tension cap on none drive side. Cap comes off but the thru pivot will not move, apparently it should just drop out. I've applied WD40 then partially inserted tension cap bolt most of the way so there is a small gap then gently tapped that
focus main pivot.jpg
end to try and free it, but no joy. Also tried freeze release spray. I think pivot axle must be seized onto one or both bearings.
Anyone got helpful advice?

Jun 16, 2019
Northants
Block of wood on tension cap and tap harder.. It will come out eventually... Once it dislodges.. Remove tension cap and use a drift to knock it all the way out.
It will be a lot easier if you turn the bike upside down and remove the rear wheel as that (although doesn't seem relevant) adds a little bit of weight/resistance to it coming out... It was certainly easier on mine.
I refitted mine with a small dab of assembly grease to try and alleviate the problem for next time.

ggrin

Feb 11, 2019
Scotland
Billybopsbasher, thanks for that at least I know there is hope of getting it out. Just to confirm, fit tension cap, but leave it sticking out 2 or 3mm, then use block and standard hammer?
Were you able to reuse the pivot pin?
Cheers

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Use as a big a hammer as you can control. Tap gently but firmly. It will be more effective than a small hammer delivering a mighty blow. You are also less likely to damage anything.

ggrin

Feb 11, 2019
Scotland
Lbs (my focus dealer) had bike in before Xmas but he couldn't get pivot either. He ordered a new pivot and was going to drill it out. Having stripped all down myself, I wasn't happy with that idea, so I will persist trying to get it out myself now I know it's been done by someone else.
I was sticking the 10mm hex socket into tension cap, and hitting the wood on that, do you think that's better than hitting the block directly on cap?
Like idea of bigger hammer, so will try that too, thanks Steve_sordy.

ggrin

Feb 11, 2019
Scotland
Just realised I never said my bike is a C Plus carbon frame. That's why I have been fairly timid with the hammer. The pivot is thru carbon frame but I'm not sure how bushes are mounted into frame. There is a helluva lot of play but it's not clear where pivot is stuck, so worrying about what damage I might do to bush mounts in carbon frame.
I am hoping it's the bush or bushes that have failed and that frame and bush mounts are ok. Might be better getting it back to lbs dealer, but not sure frame warranty will cover it.
Bike is 28 months old, done about 5,500 mainly trouble free miles.

Jun 16, 2019
Northants
There's no bushes in the frame... The axle sits directly onto the bearings from what I remember.. The only part of the axle that contacts the frame is the drive side wedge... The large diameter section of the axle sits onto a bearing either side and then the cap screws into the axle.
Make sure you use carbon safe grease when reassembling ?

Ignore me... Just looked at the pic and it indeed does show some tophat bushes(akin to those used in most ht2 bbs on normal bikes) but thses are for between the axle and the bearing. If they're damaged/worn then it shouldn't be too hard to source more if you Google the inner and outer diameter measurements.

Last edited:

ggrin

Feb 11, 2019
Scotland
Pivot bolt still won't shift, despite attention of a 2.5lb mash hammer. Set up a wee support block with a notch for the stuck end of the pin. Laid bike flat on the block, so fully supported, and hit the partially inserted cap on the other end, many times, much WD40, even tried freeze release spray into hollow pivot.... Still f*ing stuck solid.
Called lbs, mechanic on holiday, but hopefully going in next week.
Thanks for the advice guys.

ggrin

Feb 11, 2019
Scotland
Turns out LBS mechanic had already tried knocking pivot pin out. He reckons because pivot is softish alloy that bearing has cut into it, & that's why it won't shift. LBS have a new pivot so they plan to drill out the old one. I'm keeping fingers crossed that it goes as planned & I get my ebike back next week. Bloody murder for an oldie like me, slogging up the hills on my normally aspirated Stumpjumper .

ggrin

Feb 11, 2019
Scotland
LBS (Love Ebikes who supplied my bike) drilled out pivot pin and saved top hat seating washer (it was stuck on old bearing). New bearings and pivot now fitted.
I've now rebuilt rest of bike & heading out for a test ride. Thanks to all for the advice.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles