Focus 500Wh Battery Question

salubrious_k

May 8, 2021
London
Hello all, I've been looking into getting a Thron2 or Jam2 with a 625Wh battery but it looks like my only option in the short-term might be a Thron2 6.7 with a 500Wh battery.

As I might look to get another battery, or swap the battery for a 625Wh, I wanted to know how a 500Wh battery is set up in the new Focus Bosch range... I understand there are two options 1) a spacer can be screwed onto the battery directly or 2) a spacer is placed in the downtube.

I'm assuming that if it's 2) there will be no way to swap between a 500Wh and 625Wh battery, but if it's 1) this might be possible.

Can anyone confirm how the 500Wh battery is setup on Focus bikes? Whether it has a spacer attached to the battery? And has anyone successfully switched 500Wh and 625Wh batteries in their Focus bikes without resorting to taking it into their LBS?

Thanks in advance!

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
That's no problem at all. I have a Thron2 with the 500Wh battery and a Jam2 with the 625Wh battery and I use the batteries in rotation in the Jam2. (My missus rarely rides the Thron2 in the winter).

The battery "packs" are the same length because the 500Wh battery has an extension piece added to the top of the battery to make it the same length as the 625Wh battery. (See the attached exploded diagram, item 28).

If you search around on here somewhere, I think I've uploaded photos of the two batteries a year or so ago.

Buy it! You won't regret it!

1622131343726.png

salubrious_k

May 8, 2021
London
Thanks @GrahamPaul! That's really useful!

And is it easy to swap when out on the trail? Do you just need the key? Or a hex key? And I guess you need to be in the dry at the time?

I'm trying to work out whether going for a 500Wh bike and having a spare battery in my rucksack for full days is a good option?

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I understand there are two options 1) a spacer can be screwed onto the battery directly

Here you are. Found the photo I took way back showing the two batteries side by side and using your option 1:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Thanks @GrahamPaul! That's really useful!

And is it easy to swap when out on the trail? Do you just need the key? Or a hex key? And I guess you need to be in the dry at the time?

I'm trying to work out whether going for a 500Wh bike and having a spare battery in my rucksack for full days is a good option?

You just need the key. (And you'll find on here plenty of correspondence about how some Bosch locks are really sticky and need the application of lots of oil/ptfe to get them working properly).

I charge my batteries off the bike (bikes are in a garage separate from my house) and so I insert the battery before every ride and remove it after every ride. It takes a few seconds. Can't answer about the wet because I do this inside the garage but, assuming the contacts aren't soaking wet, I don't see a problem. Also, in this part of the world, "wet" is a bit rare.

Because I have the two batteries, I have the EVOC Ebike rucksack which easily copes with the Bosch Powertube. In all the time I have had the rucksack, I have only used it 3 times - and have yet to need to change the battery. Normally I've run out of battery before the bike has!

(As you'll see from other comments on here, range is very dependent on your choice of mode, tyre choice, cadence, your weight, the terrain and your climbing elevation. My rides tend to be off road with around 1000m or more of climb and I can easily get 100km out of a 625Wh battery. By that time I'm saddle sore!).

On that subject, take a look at: eBike range calculator for Bosch drive systems

salubrious_k

May 8, 2021
London
Thanks again @GrahamPaul! And interesting to hear you have both a Jam2 and a Thron2 in your family! As it feels like this is my choice... get a Thron2 for definite now or wait 1-X months to hopefully get a Jam2. I'm not going to be doing big jumps or really gnarly stuff so I'm not sure which is more suitable, and now that it looks like the Jam2 might not come till July or later I'm sorely tempted to switch to the Thron2.

The spare 625Wh battery that I might be able to swap with is actually from my wife's Cube Stereo Hybrid 120, So a big question will be whether the 500Wh battery with spacer fits in that. But from the photos you've shared I assume it will do - given the spacer is on the far side from the contacts. I may ask about this on the Cube forum!

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Thanks again @GrahamPaul! And interesting to hear you have both a Jam2 and a Thron2 in your family! As it feels like this is my choice... get a Thron2 for definite now or wait 1-X months to hopefully get a Jam2. I'm not going to be doing big jumps or really gnarly stuff so I'm not sure which is more suitable, and now that it looks like the Jam2 might not come till July or later I'm sorely tempted to switch to the Thron2.

The spare 625Wh battery that I might be able to swap with is actually from my wife's Cube Stereo Hybrid 120, So a big question will be whether the 500Wh battery with spacer fits in that. But from the photos you've shared I assume it will do - given the spacer is on the far side from the contacts. I may ask about this on the Cube forum!

Mate of mine took delivery of his Thron2 a month ago for the same reason. He loves it as he prefers the slightly more upright riding position.

Switching batteries with the Cube is a bit "interesting". First thing is that there are two types of Powertube: Horizontal or Vertical. The Focus range take the Horizontal Powertube. I am not sure about cube but I have a horrible feeling they use the Vertical tube. The orientation is defined by which bit is on the underside: the Horizontal tube has the wider part on the bottom face of the downtube, whereas th Vertical version has the narrow face facing downwards on the downtube. The battery connections are orientated differently, so it is not just a matter of turning the battery through 90 degrees.

Also, the "bashguard" is screwed onto the battery. This is part number 11 on the attached exploded diagram. Your battery is at risk without this bashguard and I believe it is a different shape to the Cube one.

1622133938671.png

salubrious_k

May 8, 2021
London
Aha! Again, amazing advice @GrahamPaul!

My wife's bike arrives on Saturday! So I'll check out whether it's a vertical or horizontal battery when it arrives.

I'm guessing that theoretically I could unscrew the bashguards and just swap them but perhaps it's better for me to just wait another month or two for the Jam2 (or Thron2 6.8 which comes in in the same shipment apparently) to come into stock. I'm going to have serious bike envy for a month though!

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Aha! Again, amazing advice @GrahamPaul!

My wife's bike arrives on Saturday! So I'll check out whether it's a vertical or horizontal battery when it arrives.

I'm guessing that theoretically I could unscrew the bashguards and just swap them but perhaps it's better for me to just wait another month or two for the Jam2 (or Thron2 6.8 which comes in in the same shipment apparently) to come into stock. I'm going to have serious bike envy for a month though!

Could well be better to wait and be happy, than have buyers remorse! ;)

I had to wait 2 months longer than my wife for my Jam2 to arrive - and then Christmas shutdown got in the way and I had another 2 week wait! I was "lucky" in that the bike arrived just before shutdown here, else I'd still be waiting. New ebikes are like hens' teeth this far south in Europe. I was in the dealership this morning and he'd just taken delivery of a new Cube. He reckons that he's got a long, long list of people patiently waiting.

The thing is, although I know that the Thron2 could do 95% of the things I wanted, I knew that I'd be regretting that extra 5% at some stage in the future. My only "regret" has been the colour (I had no choice - it was the only colour available). However, 14 months and 7000kms later there is now so much crap on the frame covering up the scratches and dings that I really don't notice the colour any more... :LOL:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía

This ride gave me range anxiety. I didn't take a spare battery, just the 625Wh charged to 100% (which is unusual for me as I try to keep the battery charge to below 80% for improved lifespan). From the bottom of the first hill, the Bosch "range" estimate shown on the Purion display was varying between 200km and 15km depending on whether I was on the flat or going uphill. I got home with around 20% left in the battery which I caned in turbo back up the last hill, just because I could.

I didn't take the spare battery because I'd already done a longer ride with bigger climbs so knew that I was going to be okay. I was just stupid and scrolled to the range display rather than sticking to "bars used". The Bosch range calculation is just plain stupid and is really only accurate within the last 5km.

salubrious_k

May 8, 2021
London
That's impressive! I've been eyeing up a 95km ride out of London and through the surrey hills to visit my mum (and stay the night). I think I could do it on the 625Wh battery but I'm not sure about 500Wh

Good advice about buyer's remorse! I don't do many trails but I do love it when I'm on them. And I'm thinking of getting a new tow bar bike carrier just so that I can venture further afield. I've waited two months, I can wait another one! Although I definitely need it by August when I'm going on holiday to Northumberland!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles