Anyone using the Bosch Dual battery system?

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
I'm curious if anyone on here has any experience with the bosch dual battery system. I can hardly find any info on it, i have ordered a system from my dealer. I have sourced a spare 400wh battery wich combined with my 500wh powertube should give me 900wh. Really excited for that.

So has anyone gone the dual battery route? I will be sure to review mine when i get it.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
# Blackbird - I am planning the same thing but to keep it simple I am going to get this back pack designed for our batteries:

My only concern is whether the bike will accept the "spare" battery - have you tried using your new 400 yet? Was it ok?

Akemtb

Mar 1, 2019
Anchorage Alaska
I use my own two battery system, when in-use battery goes dead I install the one from my rear rack. Do this mostly in the winter when snow eats up the juice and I need that extra energy to get more miles. Ride ON!

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
# Blackbird - I am planning the same thing but to keep it simple I am going to get this back pack designed for our batteries:

My only concern is whether the bike will accept the "spare" battery - have you tried using your new 400 yet? Was it ok?

I have a 650Wh Powertube and carry the 500Wh Powertube from my wife's bike as a spare on very long rides using the EVOC backpack.

I have only had one startup failure when switching batteries and that was when I forgot to turn off the power before removing the battery. When I inserted the other battery the system totally refused to start up. Happily I was close to home at that point and could pedal there under my own power. I had to put the Powertube onto the charger (off the bike) for 5 minutes before the bike would recognise it.

Before switching batteries, I am now paranoid about turning off power. I'd hate to have this happen 50km into the middle of nowhere because I have no idea how to reset a battery/motor in this sort of circumstance, other than using the charger.

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
If you have a 625 powertube, how do you then put a 500 Wh powertube?
arent the 500 shorter than the 625?

rgds

We have Focus bikes. A Jam² and a Thron². Focus have set the bikes up to take a 625Wh battery, with the shorter battery having a make-up piece. You can see this in a photo I took some time ago for a different purpose.

20200428_175103_ID.jpg

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Thanks.
its a good question.
is the vertical tube an external additional battery?
rgds

Bosch make a whole host of different battery shapes. Manufacturers each decide on different fittings and locking mechanisms. It all guarantees no easily interchangeable batteries between different makes. ?

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
I couldn’t find the spacer from focus so I bought one from Trek.

First I have Orbea Wild FS. Changing battery from 625 to 500 require moving the bracket (wire side) down. The blue paper said motor has to come out but I managed to do it without taking motor out.

The Bosch battery dimension are the same either vertical or horizontal. The only difference is the plate where the electrical connector is. You can change vertical config to horizontal config just by changing this part.

On the other side is locking mechanism. This varies depending on bike manufacturers. However it is simply a part that bolt on top of the battery.

I bought Trek battery spacers as I searched and they seem to be the only manufacturer offering the spacer retail, even though trek uses vertical and my Orbea uses horizontal.

This is very easy and I just unbolt the locking mechanism, bolt the spacers, and bolt the locking mechanism on top of the spacers.

So now I can swap battery between 500 and 625. I also have the benefit of slightly lower center gravity if I’m running 500 albeit with slightly higher overall weight (addition of spacer).

C31809C3-1991-41F7-963F-2FDD306EBC30.jpeg

BA748A4A-C53E-4670-84F6-0F3B0DFD41AA.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles