Flyon Battery Life

eRichy

May 13, 2020
Cumbria
Before I bought my AllMtn 8.0 I'd read that battery life on the Flyon wasn't great, or at least you'd quickly burn through it on the higher settings but I hoped that if I used the settings sensibly (mostly Eco but the odd use of higher settings to help on a climb etc) that it would be good. Sadly from my initial rides I've been very disappointed. My only other previous ebike experience is with a Specialized Turbo Levo & also a Turbo Levo SL - both of which I found to have excellent battery life. Therefore I was really surprised at how quickly the battery drained on my first ride. I've done a couple of longer rides since where I've had to try to be frugal with the settings just to get home! I've attached pictures of those last 2 rides - the one which I used 58% Eco I rode 29 miles and had 13% battery left. The one that is 47% OFF I still drained the battery from 100% to 1% in 41 miles. So bare in mind with that as 47% was off that means the battery only gave me something like 23 miles!? Admittedly those rides are fairly hilly (3-5K ascent including some rough terrain) and I think I could get closer to 50 miles on a road ride but that's not why I bought this bike!

I'm curious what battery life other Flyon owners are getting from a full charge? What is the highest number of miles you've achieved?

Are there any battery life tips you have? I wondered if I need a few charge cycles for the battery to settle down?

Screenshot_20200519-142453-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20200519-145642-01.jpeg

AJR

Jan 6, 2019
Essex
There is no rhyme or reason to the Flyon range. My wife's bike on 100% shows 129 miles on eco, a customer has the same model and shows 136 on eco. Mine seldom shows more than 59. I have been told the bike works out how you ride and adjusts itself to your input. I would have thought that every bike should be the same. My wife's bike easily will last longer on the same ride in higher modes than mine.

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
Under lockdown I am only doing about 7 mile runs daily each with a total ascent of 820 ft – some really steep off-road climbs so using “high” at times.
I can easily manage 4 such trips on one charge with my Alltrail 6.0 so say 28 miles with a total climb of 3200ft, and 20% battery left.
I am heavy and old!

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
There is no rhyme or reason to the Flyon range.
I would have thought that every bike should be the same.
My friend and I have ‘identical” Alltrails delivered the same day.
Hard to be certain because at the moment we are not following the same routes, but I am pretty sure his bike has a greater range than mine despite him being considerably less fit than me, and his bike providing assistance to 15mph while mine cuts out at 13mph.

AJR

Jan 6, 2019
Essex
My friend and I have ‘identical” Alltrails delivered the same day.
Hard to be certain because at the moment we are not following the same routes, but I am pretty sure his bike has a greater range than mine despite him being considerably less fit than me, and his bike providing assistance to 15mph while mine cuts out at 13mph.
Check your speed sensor, if they are not absolutely flat then you can encounter that problem.

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
Check your speed sensor, if they are not absolutely flat then you can encounter that problem.
Thanks. It did fail (when I was miles from my car!) and caused the motor to cut out. My LBS repaired it but perhaps not perfectly. Thanks for this suggestion.

Steve h

Apr 18, 2020
Chalford
my battery hasn’t gone below 48% on any of my rides and that was when the bike was under a week old. It was only a 17mile trip but did over 800m of climbing. It’s just over 3 weeks old now with 360miles on it and it does seem to be improving. I did a 20mile run yesterday and it had over 60% left. Could be I’m not using the higher power settings as much.

Jay355

Apr 10, 2020
East Anglia
I`v picked up on this thread quite late on but have to agree the Flyon is battery consumption heavy.

Every time me and the wife go out together the 5.0 depletes its battery much much quicker than the Gen 4 Bosch Powered 3.5, which I generally use.
We are hoping a software update may fix this but for tour cycling ie Lakes, Dales or Peaks a ride of 25m + requires careful power management.
Twice now in Scotland we have totally run out of battery on the 5.0, with the 3.5 having at least two bars remaining and the wife is now not so keen to ride the 5.0 anymore and much prefers the set and go eMtb mode on the 3.5 powered Bosch, which I am now struggling to keep up with, as to maintain range as I have to keep turning the power mode to off.

I find the Flyon requires constant monitoring and adjustment which is not our idea of enjoying the ride as we had hoped. We also find the Bosch delivers the exact amount of power required at the exact time needed, the Flyon is very aggressive in its power delivery and less responsive.

We both share @eRichy `s view of some disappointment with the achievable range of the Flyon, however that said the 5.0 does excel the 3.5 in bike-parks/trail centres in higher power modes where low distances are generally covered and I honestly believe that is where it is best suited.

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
I formed my initial impression of the Flyon's battery life during the lockdown when I was mainly riding on hard surfaces. Now I am using the bike on rough tracks and paths I am getting a fair bit less mileage especially if I am travelling slowly picking my way past rocks. On Monday I went with 2 friends me and one on Alltrails and the other on a Yamaha Hardseven some 15 miles along rough paths with about 1200ft of climbing. Both Alltrails finished with 22/24% battery and the Hardseven had 52%.
But the Alltrail beats the Hardseven hands down climbing!

Jetpilot

Jan 9, 2020
Dorset
I returned my alltrail due to poor battery range, on an average ride on my old bosch haibike which would leave me with 20-30% battery, the flyon had run out, returned the flyon for a levo como and have upwards of 60% left on the same ride.

Jay355

Apr 10, 2020
East Anglia
I returned my alltrail due to poor battery range, on an average ride on my old bosch haibike which would leave me with 20-30% battery, the flyon had run out, returned the flyon for a levo como and have upwards of 60% left on the same ride.
Was your old Bosch bike the 500wh? I’m considering a second battery purchase £650 or trade up and Putting the £650 to a 2021 Bosch powered bike

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
Not planning changing as for my particular purposes I am content with the Flyon’s balance of power and range, but curious you were able to return your bike on range grounds.
One reason I have kept my Yamaha Haibike is that even with its ageing battery it has at least 50% more range than the Flyon.

MWO

Jul 15, 2020
Poland
Before I bought my AllMtn 8.0 I'd read that battery life on the Flyon wasn't great, or at least you'd quickly burn through it on the higher settings but I hoped that if I used the settings sensibly (mostly Eco but the odd use of higher settings to help on a climb etc) that it would be good. Sadly from my initial rides I've been very disappointed. My only other previous ebike experience is with a Specialized Turbo Levo & also a Turbo Levo SL - both of which I found to have excellent battery life. Therefore I was really surprised at how quickly the battery drained on my first ride. I've done a couple of longer rides since where I've had to try to be frugal with the settings just to get home! I've attached pictures of those last 2 rides - the one which I used 58% Eco I rode 29 miles and had 13% battery left. The one that is 47% OFF I still drained the battery from 100% to 1% in 41 miles. So bare in mind with that as 47% was off that means the battery only gave me something like 23 miles!? Admittedly those rides are fairly hilly (3-5K ascent including some rough terrain) and I think I could get closer to 50 miles on a road ride but that's not why I bought this bike!

I'm curious what battery life other Flyon owners are getting from a full charge? What is the highest number of miles you've achieved?

Are there any battery life tips you have? I wondered if I need a few charge cycles for the battery to settle down?

View attachment 31551

View attachment 31553
I just wonder that your cadence is low. Usually shall be within a range 60-90. I red somewhere that low cadence is influencing e-bike range. Unfortunately I can’t tell now my observation on my Flyon. Today I made an order and definitely I will check it.

Jay355

Apr 10, 2020
East Anglia
I have tried different cadence and different gears and even lighter peddling to try to keep the input measurements from the power meter displayed from the motor to below 200w, its nearly impossible but here`s a strange thing. Flyon quote in Eco the motor is churning out 150%, Bosch in tour is 140% both have 630wh battery's so one would of expected similar range.

Tried and tested, same route, speed everything side by side all the way and Bosch out performs on range. Even swapped bikes and repeated following day in case of rider differences, same result. I find it difficult to accept the 10% makes that much difference, I just think the Bosch is more efficient in its consumption.

Jetpilot

Jan 9, 2020
Dorset
Was your old Bosch bike the 500wh? I’m considering a second battery purchase £650 or trade up and Putting the £650 to a 2021 Bosch powered bike

Yes, 500w and a fat bike with 4.8" tyres and derestricted, couldnt believe the Flyon couldnt get remotely close and that was with being economical with the power modes.

Jetpilot

Jan 9, 2020
Dorset
but curious you were able to return your bike on range grounds.

The dealership was amazing, but as mentioned in a previous post, out of the flyons they sold (this was January) they said they had only had a couple of buyers who hadnt come back with complaints and they were literally waiting for the phone to ring from them any minute, not least as mentioned it turned up unable to power on, a trip back to the dealer and a bike in bits to find out the wiring harness was faulty only assisted with a return i am sure. They subsequently returned all flyons to Haibike and refused to stock them, although they will stock the other Haibikes, read into that what you will, but that paints a pretty clear picture to me.

I know range is the elephant in the room on the forum, different riders, different bikes, different terrain, but if you had significantly better range on a yamaha, same rider same trails, i had better range on a old bosch cx, same rider same terrain, the Flyons range is compromised, no question.

MWO

Jul 15, 2020
Poland
Hi All,
First of all- sorry for my English skill. I've learn from books only, but...be friendly and focus on a content :D

I bought my AllMnt5.0 Flyon shark just few weeks ago. I spent a lot of time on web sides to find a really reliable information regarding battery life. It is hard to find details, so I decided to make my own research.
Attached there is some table with values I used for evaluation: cadence, distance, speed, uphill and type of ground we are driving on. In my opinion these are most important parameters. Finally, I generated some factor called B/D (battery life to range you drive). If BD is 1, that means 100% battery = 100km range. BD=1.5 means 100% battery=50km range.
I live in flat area. Uphill is max.300m. Weight 81kg, Height 175cm.
Conclusion from my investigation:
1) Most important to battery life is type of ground/surface we are traveling. Difference between forest and street is up to 20% in the terms of range. The same cadence, same distance, same uphill. Just different surface= 20% differentiations
2) Trip distance and uphill. This two elements are like brother and sister. Higher you drive, your range is shorter.

And there is important to mention about cadence as well.
DO NOT START DRIVING with engine support. Just switch it off. Activate the support when you have already some cadence about 50 and speed. This will save your batter.
When you observe parameter visible on FLYON display- POWER MOTOR. This will exactly shows you power consumption in terms of cadence. If you drive on flat area- keep cadence close to 65. If you approach to uphill- increase your cadence to 75-80. POWER MOTOR exactly shows how mych this influence.
Haibike says: 10 charging cycle is a time for proper battery calibration. I think this is just for mathematical evaluation of average value. More you drive- your data are more/less balanced and close to average.
I made a trip number 4 on standard road. My range increased about 10% in a comparison to values shown at the beginning of the trip.
So, coming to the end of the monolog:
  • BD factor is close to 1.2 on hard street and 1.5 –1.6 in the forest for ECO mode.
Next time before you ask about battery life- you must answer yourself what kind of the surface you are going to drive

Zrzut ekranu 2020-08-6 o 08.52.45.png

Zrzut ekranu 2020-08-6 o 08.53.23.png

Last edited:

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
Hello MWO
I quite agree with you and I posted earlier about the drop in range when I started using the bike on rough trails speeding up and slowing down rather than steady state on good tracks or roads. Only to be expected really.
What I would say to those who complain about the range is that it is exactly like buying a V8 4x4 and expecting the same fuel consumption as a Mini. It all depends on your priorities and for me hill climbing ability when heavily loaded trumped everything else. I do wish the bike was lighter though!!
PS. Nothing wrong with your English. all very clear:)

Swissete

May 6, 2020
Spain
In my case, the last route was 50kms with 570m climbing and still had 24% battery. 95% in Eco and 5% Low.
It is aligned with the normal 75kms I get per charge in ECO. I’m 94kg...

As said before, cadence is truly important. Never be under 60 and best being above 70. I feel more comfortable myself on 70-80.

In the haibike web you have a range calculator hence nobody is fooling us :)

Jetpilot

Jan 9, 2020
Dorset
Hello MWO
What I would say to those who complain about the range is that it is exactly like buying a V8 4x4 and expecting the same fuel consumption as a Mini.

Problem is, emtbs are all in the same segment, so its not really anything like your comparison, the only comparison is other emtbs and it seems including yourself the range is compromised, i doubt there are many people buying purely for its climbing abilities (power) of which all others will do, but maybe just not as easily.

Swissete

May 6, 2020
Spain
To be honest the Flyon is just an excess. In mine I'm always riding in ECO and only use Low in such stepp climbs that woudl make you fall back :). Once tested the Mid and.... never tried the two top modes...didn't even have the curiosity

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles