Flyon battery rattle

P13tr0

Jul 7, 2020
Uk
Just 30 miles into Flyon AllMtn 5.0 ownership and have an annoying rattle at the top of the down tube.

I have taken the battery out and 1 silver torx head screw fell out. The rattle is coming from the wiring loom block that mates with the battery.

When I put my arm up the tube, I can recreate the rattle by moving the whole block backwards and forwards - there seems to be play in the rail system either side. I cannot see where the lost screw comes from.

is anyone else experiencing this rattle? The only bike shop that had one in stock is 400 miles away, so any advice on managing a warranty issue would be appreciated.

P13tr0

Jul 7, 2020
Uk
I’m in Gloucestershire. Sounds like a warranty issue for sure, which due to the distance from the supplying dealer is going to be a ball ache.

Jay355

Apr 10, 2020
East Anglia
Hi, yes it appears so. Is there not a Flyon dealer closer you could use as there is a good dealer network coverage. Chances are they will repair not replace the bike.

P13tr0

Jul 7, 2020
Uk
I spoke to a local dealer who was only prepared to handle warranty work on bikes they supplied. To be honest this whole experience has put me right off the bike - I should have just got a Levo and had proper support from my LBS.

Steve h

Apr 18, 2020
Chalford
I spoke to a local dealer who was only prepared to handle warranty work on bikes they supplied. To be honest this whole experience has put me right off the bike - I should have just got a Levo and had proper support from my LBS.
I had exactly the same feelings when I bought my Flyon Alltrail6 3 months ago! Cable rattles, creaking crank and why did I buy a hardtail!!! I also hadn’t purchased from a local dealer! The local Haibike dealer just wanted to sell me a Cube (which are nice) but I wanted the the power of the Flyon!! (Bad hip and living in the Cotswolds). I had tried the LevoTurbo also from a local dealer which I kept thinking that I should have bought one, but being completely new to e mountain bikes I went for the Flyon. Well I’ve sorted the rattles and the creaks, I’ve done 700miles on it and now I’m really happy with the bike. It’s great for the trails I do, there’s quite a lot of technical climes around me which are great on this bike. My point to this is at first I was pissed with the lack of support from buying at distance, you would think you could go to any Haibike dealer for assistance! This does need sorting. Plus Haibikes customer service is crap! Still waiting on a reply about damage to the frame due to the display bracket! Sorry rambling! But I really love the bike now! So hopefully once you get the rattles sorted you’ll be happy with it and next time you buy a bike like me you’ll buy local!

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
I had exactly the same feelings when I bought my Flyon Alltrail6 3 months ago! Cable rattles, creaking crank and why did I buy a hardtail!!! I also hadn’t purchased from a local dealer! The local Haibike dealer just wanted to sell me a Cube (which are nice) but I wanted the the power of the Flyon!! (Bad hip and living in the Cotswolds). I had tried the LevoTurbo also from a local dealer which I kept thinking that I should have bought one, but being completely new to e mountain bikes I went for the Flyon. Well I’ve sorted the rattles and the creaks, I’ve done 700miles on it and now I’m really happy with the bike. It’s great for the trails I do, there’s quite a lot of technical climes around me which are great on this bike. My point to this is at first I was pissed with the lack of support from buying at distance, you would think you could go to any Haibike dealer for assistance! This does need sorting. Plus Haibikes customer service is crap! Still waiting on a reply about damage to the frame due to the display bracket! Sorry rambling! But I really love the bike now! So hopefully once you get the rattles sorted you’ll be happy with it and next time you buy a bike like me you’ll buy local!
I am in the same position as Steve. Several initial problems that made the bike unusable but excellent LBS sorted them and now very happy with the bike. Haibike initially were not helpful and without the pressure from LBS not sure how long things would have taken.

P13tr0

Jul 7, 2020
Uk
Thanks all for your replies. When I purchased the bike, I specifically asked about warranty work and was told any Haibike dealer could support it. It now transpires that this is not the case. Warranty is only supported by the supplying dealer.

I am not sure if this is the same for all brands, but frankly, these bikes are not cheap and the support network is a complete shambles. I have checked the Specialized warranty terms and they cover repairs at any authorised dealer - so tick in the box for them.

It seems fine if you buy your bike from a local store who offer good support, but with the difficulty finding bikes in stock, how many people are having to purchase from further afield?

I have learnt my lesson here - buyer beware! I am frustrated that the reviews and YouTube channels seem to gloss over the practical issues with buying and owning e-bikes - I suppose most of them are either paid reviews or people don’t want to upset the manufacturers.

What happens if the supplying dealer goes pop or shuts up shop - if you have a problem, you could be left with big bills or a very expensive paper weight!

So in summary - many Haibike Flyons have issues out of the box - don’t expect an easy or swift resolution If you didn’t buy from a LBS.

The screw below is what fell out of the down tube when I removed the battery for the first time.
CC098A34-2124-4BA1-9BEF-E478B533ED10.jpeg

P13tr0

Jul 7, 2020
Uk
The saga continues - I have had one failed attempt to repair the bike and am now formally rejecting it (within 30 days).

In case it helps anyone else diagnose a battery rattle, here is a short video of the cause of the problem.

As well as the rattle, it seems that this play in the connection block can cause momentary battery disconnects, evidenced by the bike spontaneously powering up if any impact goes through the front end.

Taztaz

Jul 16, 2020
UK
Yesterday my bike arrived. A £4500 bike with no manual specific to it. It was a general bike manual. No step by step guide on getting it ready, absolutely zero.

I've got 14 days before I decide to return it. I'm still considering that.

P13tr0

Jul 7, 2020
Uk
Sounds familiar- I had no manual - and no proper PDI. The saddle was also damaged on arrival.

If you decide to keep it, just consider how you will deal with an issue when something goes wrong.

I would be curious if you have the rattle issue...take the battery out and put your arm up the down tube and see if the battery block moves up and down making a rattle....

Taztaz

Jul 16, 2020
UK
Sounds familiar- I had no manual - and no proper PDI. The saddle was also damaged on arrival.

If you decide to keep it, just consider how you will deal with an issue when something goes wrong.

I would be curious if you have the rattle issue...take the battery out and put your arm up the down tube and see if the battery block moves up and down making a rattle....
Taking the battery out was a nightmare. I wanted to take the bike to work. Charge it up there by removing the battery. No can do. The XDURO Adventr 5.0, the battery removal is close to a 2 man job.

1. Remove cover . Simple.

2. Unlock battery with key. And at the same time holding the battery. Or else it will plop out and hit floor.

3. Now you got battery out, lift bike so you can pull battery away from bike. Bike weighs 27kg. That battery is close to 10kg. So in one hand hold battery, and other hand lift bike, making sure it doesn't fall.

I did have a rattle, but it went away. I'm working today and tomorrow, so will take it out on Thursday next. I only had about an hour with it in Monday. For £4500, they sent it with the 4a charger. It took ages charging that battery. They have a 10a charger, you think for that price they'll send the good charger. Its advertised as getting an 80% charge in 1 hour. Pfffft, not with standard charger. More like 5 hours.

I'm going to pop in with the bike or in person this Friday at local bike shop. They are a haibike distributor. If they do work under warranty. Excellent. If not. One more reason to send it back.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles