Flats, punctures and Tears Oh My!

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I’ve just bought two tannus amour things to go in mine, I’m fed up with little thorns in my tire.... had two this week already. Just out of curiosity I have a turbo levo with 29” wheels, the inner tubes I run now are continental 29” - 1.75 / 2.4.... would they be okr would I need thinner ones?

Thanks

Have a look at this, 1.95-2.10 recommended for 2.5 tyres (work fine on 2.6), I'm using a 1.85- 2.20 on my Levo with Tannus without any issues.

https://tannus.co.uk/armour/size-guide/

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Why do you think you *need* 3.0" wide tyres when DH World Cup and Redbull rampage/fest series riders only need 2.4/2.5s?
What riding are you doing?
They all go faster. It's about aerodynamic drag. They'd all ride fat bikes if someone could work out a nice wave pattern to break the airflow and reduce drag.

Well .. maybe ..

Actually, to be sensible (oh god ..) ..

I find I now like a 2.6 compared to a 2.8. But a year ago, I liked a 2.8 compared to a 2.3 ..

Therefore, could it be that a 2.5 is the ideal tyre size if you're travelling at higher speeds on average, but a 2.8 lardy is actually the perfect tyre for grip, re-assurance, added suspension and look cool factor if you're traversing the planet at more sane speeds ?

I notice as you're getting older, you have been spotted on 2.8's ... ?

DanRad

Apr 5, 2020
Los Angeles CA
I notice the Tannus only goes up to 2.5 in the 27.5 size... I suppose it would work with the 2.8 since it's a soft substance. I like the 3.0 on my Haibike

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I notice as you're getting older, you have been spotted on 2.8's ... ?
Correction. One 2. 8 and it has less lean grip. Than the 2.4 following it.

I rode (other folks) fat bikes 10-15yrs back before most folk even knew they were a thing. Doesn't mean I'd ever want one. Same sorta deal with plus tyres.

Bobman

Feb 21, 2019
Teesside
Another thumbs up for Tannus. Very easy to install and has handled everything thrown at them. I think they weighed 300g each but you don't need to worry with a motor! I still carry a spare tube but that's just me being over cautious.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
ive ordered mine and really can't wait to get them in... no idea on delivery yet but ive now had 4 punctures in a week, thorns every time...and im only riding woodland paths....

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My local riding is farmland and woodland trails with a high concentration of thorn bushes/hedges and tubeless sealant sorts out thorn punctures for me. That's using thin (not overly heavy) Exo casing tyres. and no inserts.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
ive ordered mine and really can't wait to get them in... no idea on delivery yet but ive now had 4 punctures in a week, thorns every time...and im only riding woodland paths....

Go tubeless. Witnessed by the damp patches when the bike is left for several days, I have had over two dozen punctures in each tyre. but not a single flat.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
im going to see how i get on with the tannus first... considered tubeless but the extra bit between the tire and tube made me go for the tanks, that and the tubes will be slime ones should be better all round....

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Eh? A slime tube AND tannus makes no sense.
Tanus is there to stop thorn punctures from getting to the tube. Slime won't seal tears in a tube. Especially pinch flat tears.
If tge only punctures you're regularly getting are from thorns tubeless with decent sealant should be all you need.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
as ive already said.... im not going tubeless... ive just bought the tannus. the slime tubes are pretty much the only ones i found that are the correct size to fit with the tannus, if the slime works or not thats what i have and am going to use.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
i thought that.... but they recommend up to 2.2 and the slime ones are i even emailed tannus asking what tubes and if mine are ok with no reply so i just bought them so i can keep riding...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah, the 29x1.75-2.5 conti tubes you have are a suitable size. it's the 1.75 part that matters not the 2.5 part. Any butyl tube will stretch to 2.5 width.

By fitting tannus and slime tubes you're adding somewhere in the region of 400g per wheel and increasing the rolling resistance of your tyres when you could be losing 100g per wheel, reducing it's overall weight and lowering rolling resistance by simply going tubeless.
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but carry on if that's what you'd rather do.

Can I ask why you're adverse to running tubeless?

Last edited:

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
im not massively against tubeless but, i had nothing but trouble with it when i have my KTM enduro motor bike. I have a friend who has the same bike as me and he's tubeless and still get the punctures just slows the down, i know its all about the difference in sealant, with the tannus the barrier it gives (for me) is better piece of mind. its also cheaper to do what ive done as i would need to buy two new tires if i went tubeless as they have so many holes in now i just wouldn't trust them... im trying to save the money for new forks too...

DanRad

Apr 5, 2020
Los Angeles CA
I've run tubeless for a long time, and they're pretty good with punctures. But you gotta keep renewing the goop. Not a huge deal, but I forget and with the CushCore, it's REALLY hard to get the stuff in the tire. My problem is rips from rocks. (See the picture in the above thread) I bought a DD Maxxis tire, and I'm gonna stay tubeless for now. BUT, the Tannus system makes the most sense to me because I feel it is PROTECTION as opposed to a bandaid after the damage. (SLIM etc). It also looks like you can ride it if you do go flat... All that said, I'm lazy and not so mechanically inclined... so the install intimidates me. (I have the bike shop put on my tires)

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
Having bin thru similar issues, My two-penceworth , After numerous sidewall cuts/slices, riding mates having the same issues with stock tyres , I can honestly vouch for anaconda inserts , tubeless & maxxis minion DHF DD 2.5 both front and rear , heavy but honestly not ONE single issue, including frequent riding in the dales/lakes, some deals to be had too £35 if your lucky ! ??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles