Flat, thin wide ebike pedals - what you using?

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
Need new pedals, what you lot using? My thinking is the thinner the better as less pedal strikes but plan is to put shorter cranks on.

What do you recommend?

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I want a narrower flat pedal as wider ones grab the trailside gremlins too much on the narrow single track I ride that is lush on the sides hiding stuff. The square leading outside edge loves to grab them it seems. After years of riding egg beaters and not having any such issues but preferring flats these days overall I feel I could live with a narrower platform using a grippy stiffish sole riding shoe.

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
I've got DMR V12s on my stumpy and was going to fit them onto the Levo but opted for the Saints, match the bike colour scheme too :) and much less aggressive terror pins.
pdmx80.jpg

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
Hope F20's are thin and don't grap at the vegetation much as they have rounded corners. People say they're not grippy enough but they have plenty more than any V12 or old school shimano DX ever had. Spendy though!

Theolegit

Patreon
Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Halstead
I’ve got vaults on one, saints on the other but must admit recently been ride a friends bike with superstars due to being without a bike and am impressed.

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
That’s the pedals I had on my bike, have decided to replace with the same again as they seem to be the thinnest I can find

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
If you haven’t pulled the trigger yet have a good look at the OneUp Component pedals. I have them on my Enduro bike. With pins they are thinner than just the body of the Hope Pedals on my ebike (which will be getting replaced for the reasons you gave) The only pedals I have seen close to the same thinness are Crank Bros Stamps.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If you haven’t pulled the trigger yet have a good look at the OneUp Component pedals. I have them on my Enduro bike. With pins they are thinner than just the body of the Hope Pedals on my ebike (which will be getting replaced for the reasons you gave) The only pedals I have seen close to the same thinness are Crank Bros Stamps.
One ups are great pedals, i wish they did them in more colours

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
The best pedals I ever put my feet on were the Specialized Boomslang. Narrow Q factor, slim, concave (I prefer them I cannot ride convex) and amazing grip but I already had enough pedals. My other two favourites (and currently running on my bikes) are the DMR Vault and Nukeproof Horizon. They are absolutely bombproof with little maintenance needs. I also have a set of Spank Spike but the rebuild kits are crazy expensive (and often needed) compared to the 10-12€ kits for the DMR and the Nukeproof.

Tmacca

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2018
Australia
catalyst pedal for the win, have on my levo and normal mtb, both with short cranks, awesome platform for DH and improvement when climbing

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
The Catalyst pedals arrived with quite a fanfare.
After an ankle injury I found I was automatically using the technique for climbing to reduce strain on tendons & muscles. For descending I always return to the regular position on the pedals for boosting & pop.

While the concept is interesting, I’m not sure they fit with the O.P.’s request for thin pedals to reduce strikes as the Catalyst’s are mahoosive in anyone’s book. There was talk of a v2 to address some of the issues with thickness & size, not seen them yet.

DEADMEAT

Jul 17, 2018
Hertfordshire
Just ordered some of these. HT AE 03 Should reduce pedal strikes as not very thick

I have these, very thin, but a bit small, and started getting play a bit too soon. I went for Boomslangs on my Kenevo, again nice and thin, probably better quality than the AE03's, but again, a bit small, and maybe even a bit too grippy!

I would always recommend Vaults, my Mrs has them on all three of her bikes. They're not the thinnest, but they just seem to be the right size and shape, perfect grip level, good reliability, the perfect pedal really, i'm just being a stubborn, contrary old git not using them on my bikes :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles