Flat shoe recommends please!

Luke0770

Sep 8, 2019
Maidenhead
I need some flat shoe recommendations please!
Like the idea of some water resistant as I want to ride all year round.

Possibilities so far:
1. Shimano GR5
2. Giro Riddance mid
3. Five Ten freerider

Thanks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
5:10 for ultimate grip
skate shoes for steeze and jibz

shimano for clips

buy 2 pairs and 2 pairs of waterproof socks

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia
+1 For 5-10's, had a pair of Freerider Pro's for 8 or so months now, no complaints, good grip, holding up well. Consider a size up when looking at 5-10's.
Used to have Etnies Barge skate shoes, comfortable enough but I was slipping off too much with them.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Personally I actually hate 5:10s as they're too stiff for good pedal feel and don't allow you to move your feet to reposition without first lifting off the pedal. something I do a lot.
I wear Etnies Kingpins for riding mtb in and Vans for commuting (in dry weather and on an mtb). clips on the roadbike.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
5 10s are the best I have used. Grip is fantastic but as Gary mentioned you do have to get your foot position right from the outset of a gravity run because the only way to move you foot position after that is to lift your foot. I' ok with that and appreciate the absolute security they give. The freerider is not waterproof but there is a more expensive version that is supposed to be. My experience overall with waterproof shoes ( ie not boots) is that the waterproofing either does not work as promised without a lot of Nikwax on a regular basis ( even if its Goretex) or if it does the water runs in through the top of the shoe anyway...especially if you are wearing waterproof trousers. Then they take days to dry out inside. Far easier to chuck a thoroughly wet and mucky pair of freeriders in the washing machine!
So I just use 5 10 freeriders and waterproof socks.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Not sure I fully understand the logic in recommending a hiking shoe when the same company (Adidas) makes footwear designed specifically for flat pedal mtb riding (5:10s). Surely being designed for walking in and in particular having increased sole/heel comfort there's going to be a pretty big compromise for pedal control and grip? Fairly sure Adidas don't use the same grade of stealth rubber* in their Terrex soles as they do in their 5:10 range. (5:10 using the grippiest compounds*)
I guess you could say the same about skate shoes. Except the skate shoe was at least designed to grip and give feel to flat skateboard decks boards and BMX pedals and are generally flexible/tough enough to allow fine control for technical footwork (jibs n tricks)

* Adidas Five Ten | Five Ten Technology | adidasoutdoor.com

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am a serial shoe buyer - my two shoes of choice at the moment are the Unparalleled Dust Up and the Adidas Trailcross.

https://www.unparallelsports.com/product/dust-up/

The Dust up are a technical flat shoe in as much as they are not just a trainer with a grippy sole, they are as grippy if not more than the 5:10's but are lighter and have a more flexible sole, which is a plus or a minus depending on personal preference, but I prefer it. The grip is different in a way that's hard to describe, but they stick to the pedal, but also allow you to shift your foot if needed, I think because the sole is super soft and sticky, meaning they grip but the pins dont get overly stuck in, and because they are quite flexible you can manipulate your foot rather than having to shift the whole sole - they also dont have a thick tongue which means they fit a bit closer - I really love these shoes, comfy and grippy, not waterproof per say but the design does a good job of keeping the water out, and dry out a lot quicker than 5:10's too

https://www.adidas.co.uk/terrex-trail-cross-sl-shoes/CM7562.html

The Addidas are basically a 5:10 sole on an Adidas hiking shoe. I really like these because they are super comfy, basically they feel like a lot more thought has gone into them in terms of fit and comfort than on a 5:10, they are lite and tough, and good for walking around in too.

Its worth noting Addidas are bringing out a much larger range of MTB Flat shoes next year, combining 5:10 soles with more technical options, including a GoreTex model.

Introducing Five Ten’s Trailcross collection – A new shoe-line developed with Adidas | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine

Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 19.19.26.png

Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 19.20.49.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@R120 do you have somewhere near you that stocks unparalleled shoes?
Roost look good. ie. Styled like an ordinary old skool skate shoe.
Probably far too grippy a sole for my liking though.

Probably just as well...

I counted all my riding shoes recently.
SPDs: 1x road shoes, 1x661 launch mtb DH shoes, 2x Shimano AM45 DH shoes, 1x Scott FR10 skate style SPDs
Flats: 7 pairs of Etnies kingpins, 11 pairs of Vans.
and 2 pairs of pretty much brand new 5:10s (freeriders and impacts)I don't ever wear.

25 pairs!!

Worse than that though I also must have at least 15 pairs of cycling gloves and I probably only wear gloves on a bike 5 rides each year

I think I have issues :confused:

Luke0770

Sep 8, 2019
Maidenhead
@R120 do you have somewhere near you that stocks unparalleled shoes?
Roost look good. ie. Styled like an ordinary old skool skate shoe.
Probably far too grippy a sole for my liking though.

Probably just as well...

I counted all my riding shoes recently.
SPDs: 1x road shoes, 1x661 launch mtb DH shoes, 2x Shimano AM45 DH shoes, 1x Scott FR10 skate style SPDs
Flats: 7 pairs of Etnies kingpins, 11 pairs of Vans.
and 2 pairs of pretty much brand new 5:10s (freeriders and impacts)I don't ever wear.

25 pairs!!

Worse than that though I also must have at least 15 pairs of cycling gloves and I probably only wear gloves on a bike 5 rides each year

I think I have issues :confused:

I cant find any stickers of unparalleled shoes in the UK

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Vans pro shoes (now) compared to older Vans that actually were good to ride are just rubbish and fall aparty. Old skool got worse and the pros are just old skools (well.. not much better) with a better insole. you can turn old skool into almost the same as a pro model just by fitting a cheap sports insole.
Like you. I just like Vans. pretty much always have.
I just wish they'd go back and make a proper riding shoe again.

I've seen/held those Ride concepts. a rep had a bunch of 'em in to show us about a month back. Felt really lightweight. I wasn't really a fan of the styling in the flesh. probz look a lot better when scuffed up and muddy tho.

Yeah. i'd seen those Semenuk Etnies before. but not in the flesh. they look too nice for riding in. like slippers. ie. you'd wear them to drive to a nice carpeted cinema and home again to put your feet up on your coffee table but not if it was raining out. :cool:
Brandon rarely even dabs a foot or rides in the wet tho does he? ;)
They do look to have a nice steezy/jibby pedal feel friendly not overly grippy sole too.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I loved the old Nike Air Mogan Mids back when they made BMX shoes, still have a boxfresh pair in the attack somewhere

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Nike Air Mogan Mids
Never really been a fan of Nikes but was in JD sports recently buying a Scotland footy strip for my youngest daughter's birthday and noticed they had a modern cheap version of the 80s high tops Kyle Reece wore in Terminator 1.
Was almost tempted to buy a pair (Loved that film) but remembered my age and left ;)

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Basic Adidas skate shoes for £40 with a gum soul + sealskin socks when it’s wet.

Last edited:

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Adidas Terrex hiking shoe, stiff enough for pedaling and great traction when having to push the bike on the trail.

I do the same using my Sportiva mid hiking boots and while it looks shit they are comfortable and grip. Very much personal preference but super stiff soles mimic the soles of my old clip ins, plus if I need to walk then I am well covered as well.

WarrenB

May 24, 2019
Saint Paul, MN USA
I have the Riddance Mids and am not a fan. They aren’t particularly grippy, certainly nothing like a five ten. They are quite stiff providing limited pedal feel and lastly are a bit heavy. I just bought Five Ten Freerider Pros yesterday and they are a lot better in all regards, though there is less ankle support/protection of course.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
5-10 Freerider Pro is lighter and more water resistant than the Freerider Contact I used previously. It offers good grip on the pedals but I have so say not as grippy as the more expensive Contact which ironically also lets you move your foot more easily too. Neither are exactly a winter shoe in my opinion but the Pro is more water resistant.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
No I got them on line, took a punt - I quite fancy trying some of the new Ride Concepts shoes though, they look pretty good

Ride Concepts | Premium Performance Footwear for Mountain Biking

Like you I am a gear whore, I have draws full of gloves, jerseys, and god know what else, and as for shoes I would give Imelda Marcos a run, I have a Vans slip on addiction I have yet to cure

Digging my ride concepts. Not quite as grippy as 5/10 impacts but grippy. Wearing well and super comfy with that D30 stuff in the sole. Would buy again. I actually want to get the new powerline(? Think thats the model that has inside ankle protection). Theyre not quite as boxy around the toes as the newer 5/10. Heel and mid sole seem about the same width as 5/10

ozhutcho

Sep 27, 2019
Australia
I just bought the bontrager flatlines. TESTED: Bontrager Flatline Shoes

I used to run 5.10's when DH'ing however they were sticky yet uncomfortable. (I have a wide foot). Tried the Shimano Gr5's and had to go up a few sizes to get the width.

Pros: The Flatlines are comfy as and grip well. they also don't make me look like a old tool that wants to be a sk8ta boi.
Cons: Walking off track up steep hills on pine leaf litter they are a bit slippery, but I reckon most flats would be the same. They also might not fit if you have a skinny foot.

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
Has anyone found a MTB flat pedal specific shoe in size 13 / 14 UK? I've never come across any and so use Merrell approach shoes / mid boots with Sealskins, never had any slips and good for muddy and wet conditions.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles