Backpack recommendations?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hiya,

Looking for a smallish backpack for riding that can fit a camera and a couple of other small bits in. Needs to be fairly water resistant and able to be chucked into the wash now and then.

Anyone got anything that they’d recommend?

Cheers
Rob.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I like Evoc bags cos they have a back protector built in. It is pretty water resistant and also comes with a rain cover.
It has been through the wash fine but I tend to spray it with a hose or my portable bike wash as I cannot be bothered to unpack it every time it gets dirty. Think mine is 10lt, can take a 2lt bladder, has a dedicated tool pocket and I can just squeeze my Mavic & remote in.
There are loads of good packs out there.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I have a Camelbak Mule LR which should fit everything including the kitchen sink! Mine came from Hellfrauds as they were the cheapest at the time, it's gone up a bit since, so you probably ought to look around.
Camelbak Mule LR 15 3L Hydration Pack
389452.jpg

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Whole heartedly agree with Doomanic, Camelbak Mule, not the smallest but a great bit of kit. It allows the weight to be carried low on the waist rather than high on the shoulders. Loads of space when needed all in all a really good pack.

Bargain below if you are ok with the colour, Black and Orange will cost a fair bit more.

Camelbak Mule LR 15 Low Rider Hydration Pack - 2017 | Merlin Cycles

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I like that, I wonder if the wife will be able to tell the difference...
Iam thinking of long days when I may want to carry my spare battery , how much space would be left in the M.U.L.E. 15 lr if you had a battery in there , trying to work out if i would need the hawg , problem us I allready have the old hawg ,but it is 10 years old ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I reckon it would take 2 batteries side by side so there’s a fair amount of room in it. You’d have to try one to be sure though.

E

EddieJ

Camelbak Mule for me as well.

It carries all of my rubbish including a spare battery, and would just as easily carry two spare batteries, not that I'd want to.

I tend to swap between bladder size, preferring to fit a smaller one during the winter months. I also store the bladders in the freezer, as it seems to prevent them from going rank inside.

ed3.jpg

z1w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
Since people are talking hydration packs, rather than small packs: I went Camelbak -> Deuter Race EXP Air -> Osprey Raptor 10? -> Camelbak LR.

Camelbak stuff is light and has well thought out details and has an excellent ownership experience. I like the Camelbak bite valve and roomy zipped hip pouches. Straps are kept in check with elastic bands, no need to trim. The lowrider bladder is a convincing design, and I like the hose quick disconnect, but find the filling cap closure fiddly.

The Osprey is heavy duty. The fabric is so tough that it causes abrasion damage on my other clothes. Plus Osprey straps are super long and need to be addressed, else they're streamers.

Deuter's suspension system is excellent. The source bladder's opening is excellent. Just lacking in a quality ownership experience/satisfaction, with a few personal niggles, like aesthetics (inc. shape, size).

Simply put, Camelbak's LR designs are top tier. They're the ones I compare all else to now. Wingnut bags still catch my attn though.

Never really used a small pack. I've tried fanny/hip packs, but they loosen and droop.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Just upgraded to a new M.U.L.E. LR Lots more room than the old mule and liking the LR concept , feels much better on the trail . One change I can’t understand Is the bite valve has a 45% angle opposed to old one at 90% which was easier to get to your mouth without bending the tube so much, not sure what the thinking was behind that , and I agree the filling cap closure is fiddly although it’s changed a bit on this new one . . Other than that it’s a leap forward in Design

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Personally, I hate backpacks. Find a storage solution on your bike. I use a small saddle bag for tools and a backcountry research strap for a water bottle.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I still haven’t used my Mule LR. I got the original for Xmas and it was broken out of the bag and the replacement is sitting in the dining room, still in the bag. I doubt it’ll get used until the weather improves and I need the extra water carrying capacity over my bum bag or I get a second battery.
All I currently carry in the bum bag is the chin piece for my full face and a multitool. It has pockets for 2 water bottles which is plenty right now.

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
I have a few different types but rarely use a hydration pak for my commutes/short rides.
Best bag I've had is this.. Vango Dry 20.. big or small as you want it with the roll down/clip top. Air valve for squeezing all the air out, chest strap and waterproof.
IMG_3962.JPG

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
Personally, I hate backpacks. Find a storage solution on your bike. I use a small saddle bag for tools and a backcountry research strap for a water bottle.
Same, although the commute requires it sometimes unfortunately.
I have 3 or 4 different types of hydration back packs but just don't really like them... I'd much rather fill a water bottle and attach to bike than all the fuss of a hydration pack.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I am impressed with the mule LR certainly feeks very stable when you’re carrying a load of water on difficult terrain
No water bottle mounts on the ebike is a downside but I tend to drink more regularly with a camelback and there’s less bother with mud on the water bottle . When you grab your bottle off the rack and there’s a lump of wet sheep shit in the slurp valve isn’t great , quite a regular problem on the moors
I like that Motherload strap for tube etc , I’ve got a normal one but I can see those 2 loops make all the difference to security and allow gas etc to fit there as well
It’s nice to ride without a bag but I rarely manage it where I ride , always need too many things and extra clothing .

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I really like the look of this one as it stops me having to remove the entire backpack to grab out the camera:

MindShift Trail 180

205BA80D-2FDB-4543-BFFC-94BCD5380C25.jpeg

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I guess it depends on the size of the camera , I use a little low pro case on the chest strap for camera , or iPhone if Iam doing regular photos on a ride .
As you say if you have to take the backpack off you tend not to take many pics , guess Iam old fashioned not having a go pro mounted on my head to record every move ?

Topham

Nov 2, 2018
North Wales
Sorry guys to bring up an old post. But I’m in the market now for either a camelbak mule or an evoc stage 18L.

I’ve read various reviews about both. Unfortunately im rather a fat bloke so I have a feeling I’ll struggle with the evoc hip thing. I’ve tried camelbak mule today in Halfords and it fitted perfect. So I’m swaying towards this.

I gather that the mule comes with the build in rain cover? Or is that just the mule Lr.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm also a fat bloke and I have the MULE LR and it fits me fine. There is a rain cover but it's not built in.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just a quick FYI for Shimano (and Bosch) battery owners. If only for occasional use The 504w E8000 external battery pack is a nice tight fit in most 2l drink capacity camelbak backpacks if you simply remove the bladder. and don't overfill any of the other storage pockets.
I checked a while back and It just fits in my old 2l rogue which is a pretty minimalist small pack by most folks standards. it'd fit easily in my old EVOC guiding/leaders bag.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I hate backpacks - i like to ride unencumbered so to speak, but recently i have been converted by the Ergon back packs.

I got one of the BA2 E-Protects for lugging around an extra battery if required, and its a great bit of kit. I bought this more out of necessity than anything else but have been very surprise at how comfy and not interfering with riding it is, though using a pack this big still isnt something i like to do when riding which is a mental thing more than anything else

However the piece of kit that has totally change my view on backpacks is the Ergon BE1 Enduro protect.

This is basically a back protector with a small compartment at the top, and a 1.5l water reservoir right at the bottom - this places all the weight down low, and the way their adjustable back plate that connects the straps to the pack works means you can get it super comfy. Its low profile and i really don't notice it when riding, and i can fit all the essentials in the pack. They do bigger versions if you are looking for more storage, and i really like the fact it is a back protector too.

Produkte – ERGON BIKE
45000480_detail_1.png

45000843_detail_3.png

Last edited:

RickW

Oct 2, 2018
UK
Any recommendations for bum bag type for a petite size 8 female - certainly isn’t for me more the other half

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles