Fix squeaking brakes?

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Got about 50 miles on my new bike, made sure to bed the brakes in properly, but both front and rear squeak. So I’m sure Gary will say user error.:sneaky:

Any ideas how to fix? On my other bike, I used mucoff disc brake cleaner, but that made them worse.

richysgc

Nov 9, 2020
Sunderland
I asked my LBS about cleaning disc breaks, they advised not to use anything not even the muc off stuff to clean the discs as they are easy to contaminate and that after a few sharp breaks it should clean anything off anyways. Mine usually squeak at the start of the ride but stops after a while.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Got about 50 miles on my new bike, made sure to bed the brakes in properly, but both front and rear squeak. So I’m sure Gary will say user error.:sneaky:

Any ideas how to fix? On my other bike, I used mucoff disc brake cleaner, but that made them worse.
So how did you bed in the brakes?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
How effective are the brakes? Are they working well? If not the bedding in process has not worked or some contaminate has got onto the pads/rotors.
Take the pads out and inspect them. If they are glazed you can clean them up with a fine clean file or glass paper. You can also use wet and dry on the rotors if you think they have become contaminated with cleaning products etc.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
How effective are the brakes? Are they working well? If not the bedding in process has not worked or some contaminate has got onto the pads/rotors.
Take the pads out and inspect them. If they are glazed you can clean them up with a fine clean file or glass paper. You can also use wet and dry on the rotors if you think they have become contaminated with cleaning products etc.

The brakes work really well. The squeaking happens at lower speeds, mainly when coming to a standstill.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
So I’m sure Gary will say user error.:sneaky:
No. I'd actually tell you there's absolutely no point in asking for a solution without giving far greater detail about what exact brakes you have, what bike they are fitted to and under which conditions they are "squeaking".
Brake noise is generally created by vibration and that can be down to many things. and some perfectly functioning calipers/rotors/pads can be "squeakier" than others under use.
The first step to a "fix" is finding out the cause ;)

Since you've only ridden 50miles if you are 100% sure the pads/rotors have not become contaminated I'd remove your pads to inspect them. and if you feel they have become glazed/dirty you can then carefully sand them (lightly) on fine grit sandpaper/wet n dry placed on a flat surface to refresh the braking surface. You could also remove each rotor and lay it on a clean flat surface and lightly sand the braking surface each side. Disc brake cleaner can be used during this process. Prior to re-fitting I often burn off any brake cleaner residue by setting light to it.
When refitting your pads/rotor/wheel check for proper caliper alignment and do a full bolt check of your calipers/mounts and rotors.
Bed the brakes in again and see if you have better luck.
If all else fails. Occasionally you may find a change of compound/brand can help.

good luck.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
No. I'd actually tell you there's absolutely no point in asking for a solution without giving far greater detail about what exact brakes you have, what bike they are fitted to and under which conditions they are "squeaking".
Brake noise is generally created by vibration and that can be down to many things. and some perfectly functioning calipers/rotors/pads can be "squeakier" than others under use.
The first step to a "fix" is finding out the cause ;)

Since you've only ridden 50miles if you are 100% sure the pads/rotors have not become contaminated I'd remove your pads to inspect them. and if you feel they have become glazed/dirty you can then carefully sand them (lightly) on fine grit sandpaper/wet n dry placed on a flat surface to refresh the braking surface. You could also remove each rotor and lay it on a clean flat surface and lightly sand the braking surface each side. Disc brake cleaner can be used during this process. Prior to re-fitting I often burn off any brake cleaner residue by setting light to it.
When refitting your pads/rotor/wheel check for proper caliper alignment and do a full bolt check of your calipers/mounts and rotors.
Bed the brakes in again and see if you have better luck.
If all else fails. Occasionally you may find a change of compound/brand can help.

good luck.

Cheers Gary, I’ll give that a go. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles