First ride on my new Levo Comp.

Trout74

Jul 25, 2019
Iowa
First impressions are it’s gonna be a fun bike! It’s sluggish handling wise compared to my epic expert carbon, but it’s also twice as heavy. The motor is super quiet, the assist is amazing. Suspension is super plush! I feel like I need taller gears....it’s so easy to pedal the smallest rear gear, I think I need a larger front sprocket. Anyone else think you need taller gearing? And man 20mph is so easy to get to, it needs to go realistically to 30-35mph. Can I change gearing? And do you recommend the badassbike modification ? Thanks

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Not Levo Comp related but I'm about to step up from a 34T to a 36T front chainring on my Merida 160 for exactly the reasons you state.

I had a Badass Box but it was hit and miss on when it wanted to work. I took a different route.

Trout74

Jul 25, 2019
Iowa
Not Levo Comp related but I'm about to step up from a 34T to a 36T front chainring on my Merida 160 for exactly the reasons you state.

I had a Badass Box but it was hit and miss on when it wanted to work. I took a different route.
What was your different route, I’m open to ideas, the 20mph limit is not suitable for me.
Thanks
I like to call it a "physical ride". These bikes want to go straight, got to be in charge of them.

Agree. First change will be larger front chainring and longer stem. I’d like a computer too. Does the Garmin 530 talk to the bike thru Bluetooth?

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
What was your different route, I’m open to ideas, the 20mph limit is not suitable for me.
Thanks

Agree. First change will be larger front chainring and longer stem. I’d like a computer too. Does the Garmin 530 talk to the bike thru Bluetooth?

I used the app Shimano Steps Unlocker but that won't help you if your motor isn't Shimano.

Trout74

Jul 25, 2019
Iowa
Update:
Did a longer second ride last night. 10 miles on dirt and trails. Loose dirt that was groomed around a large pond ( new construction) and then headed into woods and rode hard pack trail. This bike is the real deal! I actually loved the tires, they hooked up very well, I felt confident on both surfaces. The suspension is just amazing. It is plush and seems bottomless. Still not sure how much air to run in the rear shock, I’m at 275 psi. But it felt great! Weight of bike disappeares while riding, even got a little air off a jump and it was so smooth. I’m sold. This is the future of biking. I even switched off the motor for most of the downhills and it was fine. Also, when your actually off road on the trails and In the woods the 20mph speed limit is actually more than enough. The only time I feel restricted is when I’m on concrete riding to the trails.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I wonder if a little greater time spent riding the bike is required before deciding you need higher gearing or derestriction. Firstly the most efficient use of the motor is when pedalling at a higher cadence than you are likely to be used to on a non emtb....its something you get used to. Secondly once you discover the full potential of the bike you will probably opt to ride different terrain and see no need for more speed or higher gearing.
I accept the territory people ride is different but my experience is the emtb encourages you to prioritise the steepest gnarliest climbs and hairy descents....I rarely use the 2 smallest cogs as it is!
Lastly be aware that higher gearing is likely to lead to greater drive train strain.
As for deristriction....in my opinion it is the best way to get e mtbs banned from public spaces.

Rich-Baillon

Jul 19, 2019
UK
I wonder if a little greater time spent riding the bike is required before deciding you need higher gearing or derestriction. Firstly the most efficient use of the motor is when pedalling at a higher cadence than you are likely to be used to on a non emtb....its something you get used to. Secondly once you discover the full potential of the bike you will probably opt to ride different terrain and see no need for more speed or higher gearing.
I accept the territory people ride is different but my experience is the emtb encourages you to prioritise the steepest gnarliest climbs and hairy descents....I rarely use the 2 smallest cogs as it is!
Lastly be aware that higher gearing is likely to lead to greater drive train strain.
As for deristriction....in my opinion it is the best way to get e mtbs banned from public spaces.
Totally agree on derestriction, saw a guy on the road doing around 40mph with rim brakes, no doubt an eBay special. This will defo get eBikes banned.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
Update:
Did a longer second ride last night. 10 miles on dirt and trails. Loose dirt that was groomed around a large pond ( new construction) and then headed into woods and rode hard pack trail. This bike is the real deal! I actually loved the tires, they hooked up very well, I felt confident on both surfaces. The suspension is just amazing. It is plush and seems bottomless. Still not sure how much air to run in the rear shock, I’m at 275 psi. But it felt great! Weight of bike disappeares while riding, even got a little air off a jump and it was so smooth. I’m sold. This is the future of biking. I even switched off the motor for most of the downhills and it was fine. Also, when your actually off road on the trails and In the woods the 20mph speed limit is actually more than enough. The only time I feel restricted is when I’m on concrete riding to the trails.

Give this a go for setting up your suspension - Suspension Calculator App | Specialized.com

I found it got me really close

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Update:
275Lbs sounds a lot! How heavy are you?

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
I bought my Levo Comp in May and initially had the same concerns about the gearing but after more miles of riding think the compromises Specialized had to make are just about right. You'd think it needs a higher top gear but given the 20 mph max assistance and the higher cadence required for optimum motor efficiency it's pretty good. And if the lowest gear isn't low enough we have that motor :p. I suggest putting more miles on it before changing anything.

As lumpy mentioned, Suspension Calculator App | Specialized.com will get you really close. 275 psi in the shock seems high. How did you arrive at that? The calculator says 216 psi for 190 lbs rider weight. At my weight the pressures it recommends gives me exactly 30% rear sag and ~22% front. Btw, I tried the Rockshox fork calculator and the pressure is close but rebound is way more open at 13 vs 7 clicks. At 13 clicks the front tire is a bouncing ball.

One last thing, I love this bike! Heading out now for a ride across the Golden Gate Bridge and up into the Marin Headlands. :)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
That’s 275 PSI. I weigh 190 pds.
…..sorry...yes I meant psi. I am 170 lbs and have it at 205 giving 25% sag ( I prefer 25% to 30% for most of the trails I ride but would go to 30% if on a pure singletrack type ride).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles