First post. Looking to replace my Haibike, questions on a few bikes.

Addicted2climbing

Jan 7, 2020
USA
Hello All,

This is my first post and I am looking to replace my 2017 Xduro Allmtn 7.0 with something else. A friend of mine is itching to buy my bike and I always felt it was not exactly what I wanted. Now with the new line of bikes with integrated batteries I am ready to make the switch. I am 6'4" tall so will likely need an XL frame. I will use it mainly on long fireroad climbs with singletrack down. May even do some double duty towing a trailer with a baby in it. :) I live in the Los Angeles CA area so mostly dry climate riding. I dont need extreme DH ability, but I did like the Xduro ability to descend over my XC non powered Specialized 29r.

I have so far narrowed the bikes down to 4 2020 bikes but open to other suggestions. Commencal Meta Power 29 essential, Moustache Samedi 27 trail 6 or 8, Moustache Samedi 29 game 6 or 8, Norco Sight VLT C1 or C2.

I really like the Commencal bikes, but unsure about the steps E8000 since it does not have an EMTB mode like the Bosch CX. I use that mode 100% of the time on my Xduro. Any chance Shimano will offer a software upgrade in the future to something similar? 500WH batteries are a bit low for the price as well. I do hear its quieter than my older Gen Bosch CX which would be a plus.

So far the Moustache bikes are at the top of my list due to the Gen 4 Bosch CX and the larger 625ah battery pack. wanting a larger pack is one of my reasons to sell the Xduro. Price seems a bit high for a bike from Taiwan essentially. Big plus they are a french company as my wife is French and likes supporting French companies when possible. ie easier to have her behind the purchase. We visit her family every year and plan to visit in a few months, maybe I should buy the bike in France and bring it back in a bike case.

The Norco has the largest pack but its internal and I may not want to bring my bike inside to charge every time. Also I assume a pack replacement requires the motor to be removed for access. Also not a fan of carbon on a mountain bike, but then that may be more of an old issue and its just fine now since its more common. However it has some amazing reviews from all I have read. I have the same concern with the E8000 system.

I know all the bikes on my list are 2020 models so nobody will have any real world experience on any of these yet, but I am open to hear about any users personal experience with any of the 3 brands.

Open to any advice, suggestions and also open to other bikes. One caveat is it needs to be available in the USA. Also best guess is I will only have a chance to test ride the Norco as finding the Commencal and Moustache near me may be tough.

Best regards,

Marc

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
For me the most importante is personal taste, fit and after market assistance (more critical with e-bikes for me) . So my advise is to test as much as possible and narrow the list from there (for me it´s very dificult to consider e-commerce in this department as long I could find good local shops ).
Europe top velocity is lower than US, so you could have na issue to resolve here .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles