Looking for advice purchasing my first emtb

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
So I tested the Giant Trance E today and I loved it. I was thinking I’d need a Large (187cm) but it felt to cramped so luckily there was a customers XL in the shop and that felt almost spot on. I’d want a slightly longer stem though but that’s an easy fix.
It rode really well and the motor I thought (with my limited knowledge) was great. Much quieter than I had imagined
Decisions!!!

I have ridden one of those and there are a few comments I would make. I found the five modes irritating, two more than necessary IMO.

This was made worse by the rocker switch mode selector. With my gloves on I couldn't feel any click to know whether I'd pressed it hard enough or not. Also when riding over bumpy trails my thumb would far too frequently activate the switch more than once (or twice or thrice!) with unpredictable results. I once ended up switching it off completely! Many bikes have rocker switch selectors, so they can be lived with. However, the Di2 levers of the Shimano Steps system solved that problem completely for me. I know that for some riders (maybe many riders) this is not a problem and some even get rid of the Di2 levers in favour of a rocker switch for a tidier looking bar.

The Yamaha motor has a bit more torque than the Shimano and I found that it pulsed which I could feel with my feet. It also had a tendency to spin out the rear wheels on tight turns. All of this was probably my inexperience showing, but at least you have something to look out for and for you to consider. The bike by way was was very good and good value too.

Last edited:

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I know that for some riders (maybe many riders) this is not a problem and some even get rid of the Di2 levers in favour of a rocker switch for a tidier looking bar.

Yep! Shimano e6000 and e7000 switches are compatible and much lighter weight if you prefer the action of button instead of a lever.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
No worries. Yes I did get the bike from Chain Reaction, great service and back up. I just see the mudflap addition as a bit of insurance, and the fact is no stock bike is going to be perfect in every respect for every rider - I've changed the bars, stem, grips, saddle as well.

The Chain Reaction you got the Levo from isn't Chain Reaction Cycles | MTB | Road | TRI | Run as they don't sell Specialized bikes. Where's your shop?

KRolo

Dec 1, 2018
fullsail25
Hi all, new member here looking to purchase my first ebike. I’ve been mtbing since I was 13 (even before suspension, I’m now 43) but unfortunately I have adult on set muscular dystrophy and my ability to ride is slowly being taken away from me. An emtb would keep me going for a few more years. I’ve been doing loads of research and have narrowed it down to three bikes, Specialized levo, trance e 1 and a trek powerfly 7. My problem is that the more research I do the more confused I become and the harder my decision is becoming! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

As most replies have mentioned demo the different bikes if you have the option. I rode a very nice Xduro Haibike for a week while my regular bike was in the shop, a Giant, and a friend's Motobecane Hal (definitely the best price for the components), and lastly a Focus Jam2. My favorite due to the price and the Shimano system was the Focus. The components specifically the brakes, Shimano Deore, will eventually be upgraded but I am surprised at how well the newer Deore brakes worked. The Jam2 is about 4-6 lbs lighter than the other bikes due to the smaller 378w battery. You can get an additional battery for longer rides that clips onto the down tube. I also like the compact Shimano E8000 motor and system.. reasonably quiet and has plenty of power. It's display was the best.. easy to read and located in a fairly safe spot on the bars. Good luck in your search.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
Hi all, new member here looking to purchase my first ebike. I’ve been mtbing since I was 13 (even before suspension, I’m now 43) but unfortunately I have adult on set muscular dystrophy and my ability to ride is slowly being taken away from me. An emtb would keep me going for a few more years. I’ve been doing loads of research and have narrowed it down to three bikes, Specialized levo, trance e 1 and a trek powerfly 7. My problem is that the more research I do the more confused I become and the harder my decision is becoming! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

I have a small size Vitus E-Sommet (Shimano Steps E8000) and got it last April from CRC in UK. I test rode a 2018 Focus Jam2 and a 2018 Specialized carbon Levo before deciding.

The Jam2 was the first emtb I'd ridden after riding mtb for over 10 years and road cycling regularly for 26 years. I had it for 3 days and 3 different trails. It felt good and I got used to the power delivery and modes straight away.

But I didn't really like the overall feel of the bike for some reason even with all the suspension adjusted. I had the medium which measured as the right size but the dropper seat post was too high at full extension when set as low as it could go in the seat tube and I kept having to sit on it to lower it slightly to pedal comfortably again. I did like the Shimano Steps System and with the display showing all the info needed and the 'gear shifter' power switch. I couldn't get the E-Tube app on my Android moby to connect with the bike so couldn't adjust the default power settings, etc. Because of this, the most I got out of it was 19 miles but I was using Trail mode most of the time.

I had the carbon Levo for 3 days and rode 3 different trails but not all the same as the Focus. Now this did seem to feel smoother and I liked the app to adjust the % power in each mode and overall power. I rode some jump sections as well as trail but it didn't feel brilliant on the big jumps (K Line, Hamsterley Forest, UK). Again this bike didn't rock my boat even though battery life was better on the default settings (bigger 504wH battery helped).

I decided not to bother with an emtb for a while and kept riding my 2016 Stumpjumper but decided to get the Vitus after looking at the spec (Vitus E-Sommet VR Suspension E-Bike - SLX 1x11 2018 | Chain Reaction Cycles) even though it had a Shimano motor which I couldn't adjust.

The Vitus E-Sommet rides brilliant, good range and loadsa fun! Even though I didn't get a test ride, it is the best and I'm happy. I've got my eyes on a Jam2 now as they are discounted ready for next years model. And I have now got an iPhone 5s which works well with the E-Tube app so can play with the settings. :love:

My profile for anybody who's read this far...
Aged 56, married with a 6 year old daughter.
I road raced motorcycles for 23 years and survived quite a few bad crashes whilst having fun. :eek:
I am currently recovering from a rotator cuff repair from a crash I had 4 years ago on my mtb.
Another 'older' injury is starting to play up due to all the walking I've been doing lately and I'm looking into getting a replacement knee. :cautious:

I love my EMTB and glad they exist :cool:

Scapel24

Jan 13, 2019
New Zealand
Thanks for all the fantastic and very informative advice guys. I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered the trance in XL. One thing I’ve learnt in the past few months is that there isn’t a perfect emtb yet, or at least not one that everyone can agree on. It seems all emtb have good points and bad points so in the end I went for a bike that I felt comfortable on and was happy with in general. I’m super excited!!

robert

Dec 12, 2018
scotland
Try to test ride them if you can.

IMO - Levo is a really nice balanced ride, Brose motor is quiet and amooth engagement. The 29er wheels rol over stuff easily. Bang for your buck is not as good and components are poor value compared with other brands. (I am guessing that they thought that harder core roders would buy and upgrade). Really noce ride though.

I test rode a Merida e160 and really loced the Shimano motor, but I could not get them to drop the price much more than 10%. Nice components too, although lower spec brakes (which seems important given the extra weight of an eBike).

Trance is awesome value kit and also rides really nice - if you can get on with the motor. I test rode one (expecting to buy it) but found that the Yamaha system assistance came on really quickly and I found the small LED boost level indicator really hard to see.

I paid to hire a demo Powerfly FS and rode a local trail. I loved the Bosch motor, especially the eMTB mode, which is really intuitive- the harder you push the more assistance you get. I also don’t mind the louder motor. I also liked the geometry and handling - it is a bit less poppy due to the longer chainstays, but it climbs like a goat. I went back to the shop and paid the extra $400 for the Powerfly LT (longer travel and better brakes).

As I said, test ride as many bikes as you can. And good luck with your search.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles