First full ride on my Trek Rail 7!

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Had my first full ride on my Rail 7, 17 miles all in eco mode and honestly it felt amazing. The loop I did in 2 hrs would have normally taken 3.5. I'm a big guy but I can climb....just slow. My intention w/ the bike was to be able to climb in ECO just so I can keep pace w/ my lighter friends and not slow down the group and it's gonna be perfect....and for some deep woods exploring of course. On the trail today, the Rail just felt like I was riding a regular bike just a bit faster....personally I don't even really feel the weight on trail. but I also don't find it heavy lifting it onto the tailgate of my lifted truck. Feels incredibly planted downhill. I did test the other modes and boy that motor has some power. In turbo I probably could have done today's ride in a bit more than an hour, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm 285lbs, 17miles 2700ft of climbing and had 64% remaining on the battery at the end of the ride. Much better than expected. With those numbers If I could possibly get 4k ft of climbing w/ 30miles in ECO for a 4hr ride I'd be stoked. The ride today has me thinking of selling either my Orbea Rallon or Evil Wreckoning V3....

IMG_1963.jpg
IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
Excellent range that, makes me more comfortable about my plan to ditch 2x 504Wh Shimano batteries in favour of 1x 625Wh Bosch. I take it you had the suspension swapped out before delivery?

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Glad your enjoying your bike.
Have you got the latest firmware with the emtb lite?
If you have I find this is the best mode to ride in.
ECO is ok for the road or flat, but your not really getting that ebike feeling that you paid for.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Glad your enjoying your bike.
Have you got the latest firmware with the emtb lite?
If you have I find this is the best mode to ride in.
ECO is ok for the road or flat, but your not really getting that ebike feeling that you paid for.
As this was my first ride, I wanted to see the range in just Eco mode, which I actually really enjoyed. My steepest climb was about a half mile of +15% grade and I cleared it easy in eco. I plan on testing the other modes to see how the range differs so I can gauge what modes to use when I do solos, but eco is perfect to use to allow me to climb at the pace of my lighter friends.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Excellent range that, makes me more comfortable about my plan to ditch 2x 504Wh Shimano batteries in favour of 1x 625Wh Bosch. I take it you had the suspension swapped out before delivery?
Do you have a shimano powered bike that you're planning to use a bosch battery with?

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
Do you have a shimano powered bike that you're planning to use a bosch battery with?

Sorry, should have been somewhat clearer. I presently have a 2019 E-Sommet with second battery (2x 504) and have a Rail 7 on order (1x 625). Obviously I will be giving up range but the longest (proper) ride I've done on the E-Sommet was <35 miles and 4500ft. Perhaps that's doable with care on the Rail. Mind you, I did empty two full batteries at BPW...

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Sorry, should have been somewhat clearer. I presently have a 2019 E-Sommet with second battery (2x 504) and have a Rail 7 on order (1x 625). Obviously I will be giving up range but the longest (proper) ride I've done on the E-Sommet was <35 miles and 4500ft. Perhaps that's doable with care on the Rail. Mind you, I did empty two full batteries at BPW...
I was thinking of getting a second battery down the road....kinda want to do an epic ride 50+ miles in the tahoe area by summers end.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Congrats on the ride! What was the reason for swapping out the fork?
Thanks! I'm a big guy, and with the basic dampers select rc or Fox Grip I never can get a good set up that is supple yet doesn't dive into travel when braking. I already had the fork....if I didn't I would have installed the RC2 damper in the Yari w/ 170 airshaft.

Marley

Jan 28, 2021
VA
Just approached 80 miles on my Trek Rail 7 and like you, Eco mode seems to be the holy grail in the mountains.

My riding partner (brother) is an absolute beast on a mtnbike and at 140 lbs, would leave me in the dust.....not any more. ?‍♂️

DavidRSS

Sep 8, 2020
Los Angeles
I have the giant reign e+ pro and love it. But one thing makes me think I should have got the rail. The way it’s engineered so that the motor does not hang low like it does on the giant emtb series. Ok the giant it hangs down way below the chainring and I keep hitting it on roots and such.
Can you tell me how much clearance there is between the ground and the motor on the rail? 26AD4101-2664-43E9-ACDB-9DC95267025D.jpeg

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
EMTB mode is the holy grail in the mountains or anywhere else. Don’t waste your time in ECO, when you can have so much more fun in EMTB
I do drop to ECO if I’m biking with analog bikers, but I mostly stopped doing that when I’m on my E.
I do understand the use of ECO to join a group with fitter riders, but it’s just so much more enjoyable to ride an ebike the way it should be ridden. Just my 2 coins

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles