Levo Gen 3 Finally get a satisfied brake

Han

May 25, 2021
Vienna
Got my new brake on, instead of my old MT7, finally no more birds around me!! Brake power feel little less than Magura MT7 but modulation much better, almost like Code RSC. Those freak 2.3mm rotors are crazy good.

By the way, for those 2022 owners, I think the duct tape is still the best solution for now.

2991633273930_.pic.jpg
2971633273927_.pic.jpg
2981633273929_.pic.jpg
3001633273932_.pic.jpg

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Isn’t it interesting how we all assess brakes differently….
I moved from RSC to MT and I was startled by the improvement in modulation. I expected that having tried them elsewhere tho’…
So, better, not worse…
Having said that, I also went 230…
Maybe that’s more important wrt modulation than I thought?

Oldmtber

Oct 9, 2019
Worcester
Got my new brake on, instead of my old MT7, finally no more birds around me!! Brake power feel little less than Magura MT7 but modulation much better, almost like Code RSC. Those freak 2.3mm rotors are crazy good.

By the way, for those 2022 owners, I think the duct tape is still the best solution for now.

View attachment 72998 View attachment 72997 View attachment 73000 View attachment 72999
Great pedals aren’t they but how did you manage to enlarge the crank boot fitting?

Jline2020

Dec 9, 2020
Boulder
yesterday I replaced the code rs with the shimano xt 8120 4 pistons and finally, I can say that I have brakes that brake well
I have Shimano SLX 4 piston brakes and they also work well. I did have to replace the factory pads with another brand to get rid of brake squeal.

Han

May 25, 2021
Vienna
Great pedals aren’t they but how did you manage to enlarge the crank boot fitting?
good question, actually I used a multitool to expand the hole in the middle, well, it works, although the shape is hard to be done as a perfect circle but I can live with it, the other downside is since the hole is like almost cut through the top, it makes less grip to stay on the crank, sometimes will slip down bit, but duct tape fix it easily.

Han

May 25, 2021
Vienna
Isn’t it interesting how we all assess brakes differently….
I moved from RSC to MT and I was startled by the improvement in modulation. I expected that having tried them elsewhere tho’…
So, better, not worse…
Having said that, I also went 230…
Maybe that’s more important wrt modulation than I thought?
spot on, everyone has their own feeling on the brakes, totally individual, the new sram 2.0 rotor plus some good brakepads are both significantly strong on code rsc. I tried many brakes and finally this TRP is for me at the moment.

evolixsurf

Sep 4, 2021
usa
my slx 2 pistons work pretty well on my levo comp.... do have to break them in after I adjust them, but im very happy with them as I dont have any complaints while riding...

ridesantacruz

Feb 4, 2020
Santa Cruz
Installed the DH-R EVO as well on my Kenevo SL. I only have two rides on the brakes around 30 miles. I followed TRP's recommendation for bedding the pads but it's taken more time then usual for them to bed and have good bite. Love the thicker rotors, brakes do not fade and seem solid the whole time. The only complaint I have is I like the brakes to bite with the lever close to the grip, I have the adjustment all the way in and the levelers are still a tad to far out for me.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
yesterday I replaced the code rs with the shimano xt 8120 4 pistons and finally, I can say that I have brakes that brake well

You really want your mind blow swap out the XT calipers for some Magura MT5 calipers and use your XT levers with them.
I have XTR 4-pistons and loved them but would still get some brake fade on big long runs. To the point where I couldn't stop , so I bought some Magura MT5 calipers and I'm blown away by how much better they are. All the power and modulation that I was hoping and looking for.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I switched to Galfer rotors and brake pads. The brakes are still Sram Code RSC.
Now finally there is the Shimano brake feel and SRAM modulation.
Very light to use and require less braking force.

Cheap brake upgrade.

PS.
The rotors are 203 mm and the power is at least the same as the previous front 220 rear 200 mm rotors.
The weight saving of the rotating mass was about 100 gr

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
OMG
I have been looking at changing my brakes for a few weeks now, but there is so many different opinions, it is so hard which ones to choose.

I saw the MT5/7 and thought they looked really good, but went to shop who sells them and they put me off and told me to buy hope brakes.as the leavers and master cylinder break really easy and a nightmare to bleed.

Tried reading reviews online and sram code RSC seem to come out on top, but at 200 each want to make sure is is a significant upgrade over my Guide RE. Which stop well , maybe more to do with the 220 rotors, However I never had any fade issues. just the lever and assembled kind of creak and don’t feel plush.

Jline2020

Dec 9, 2020
Boulder
OMG
I have been looking at changing my brakes for a few weeks now, but there is so many different opinions, it is so hard which ones to choose.

I saw the MT5/7 and thought they looked really good, but went to shop who sells them and they put me off and told me to buy hope brakes.as the leavers and master cylinder break really easy and a nightmare to bleed.

Tried reading reviews online and sram code RSC seem to come out on top, but at 200 each want to make sure is is a significant upgrade over my Guide RE. Which stop well , maybe more to do with the 220 rotors, However I never had any fade issues. just the lever and assembled kind of creak and don’t feel plush.
I'm still happy with the Shimano SLX 4 piston brakes that came on my 2021 Levo Comp. I also love how easy they are to bleed. No brake fade on some long descents here in Colorado. I am a lighter rider (145 lbs) so that helps. I did replace the factory brake pads with Red MTX pads. The factory pads howled no matter what I did to them.

ridesantacruz

Feb 4, 2020
Santa Cruz
Any issues with your brake pads rubbing? I will adjust the calipers before a ride, no rub, but during the ride, the pads will be rubbing to the point were I feel resistance while pedaling. Initially I thought maybe I had to much brake fluid in the system but bleed the brakes again with the bleed block inserted and cleaned each brake caliper piston with alcohol. Still having an issue with my Evo-DHRs pads rubbing after each ride.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I'm still happy with the Shimano SLX 4 piston brakes that came on my 2021 Levo Comp. I also love how easy they are to bleed.

My boy has SLX on his Trance and they are brilliant. Like you say, so easy to set up and bleed. They just work, lovely feel too. I have MT5's with 1 finger HC levers and whilst braking power is fine, the SLX levers actually feel nicer, much smoother and better progression. One day I may swop out my HC's and go Shimano up top with the MT5 calipers but it's not a big enough of a deal to me to justify the cost ATM.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
I've got mt 7s on my levo with big rotors front and back, and with the mullet set up the bigger rotor on the smaller wheel looks wild.
Yup, ditto (well MT5’s which are just as good for me). Brilliant braking, brilliant looks and as for ‘bleeding’, do you agree that following the Magura vid exactly is easy, works and is pretty much a ‘bleed and forget’ process for several pairs of pads?

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
My boy has SLX on his Trance and they are brilliant. Like you say, so easy to set up and bleed. They just work, lovely feel too. I have MT5's with 1 finger HC levers and whilst braking power is fine, the SLX levers actually feel nicer, much smoother and better progression. One day I may swop out my HC's and go Shimano up top with the MT5 calipers but it's not a big enough of a deal to me to justify the cost ATM.
When you do go Shigura (even just MT5 top and bottom), you’ll be glad, but if it’s full MT5’s, get the 1 finger lever upgrade 😀

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Agreed 1 finger MT5. Had the 7’s on previous bike, but not worth the extra money. Once you set your lever reach, your fingers aren’t going to change!

77D8A169-6A00-4889-8B82-AE04A7B5EA49.jpeg

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Yup, ditto (well MT5’s which are just as good for me). Brilliant braking, brilliant looks and as for ‘bleeding’, do you agree that following the Magura vid exactly is easy, works and is pretty much a ‘bleed and forget’ process for several pairs of pads?
I bled my MT7s when I installed them in 2020. The levers are still very firm, so I see no need to bleed them again. I honestly don't understand why some guys have trouble bleeding Maguras. The instruction video is easy to follow.

cleoent

Aug 25, 2020
NorCal
I replaced the HORRIBLE sram brakes on my 22 Expert with TRP. So freaking good. The TRP brakes are amazing. I have 220 F/R with Magura 2.0 (originally used them to try and improve sram brakes to no avail) and they work great with the TRP DHR-Evos.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles