Levo Gen 3 Feels like skipping chain...???

Thumper33

Sep 29, 2022
Denver, CO
On my ride home yesterday, about a half mine into the ride it felt like the rear hub disengaged. I was going down a hill without a ton of effort, so I don't know how I would have broken anything. Pedaling forward or backward wouldn't do anything, no resistance at all. The chain did move with the pedals, but no resistance. I don't know exactly what I did I did downshift a time or two and it reengaged and seemed fine for the ride home.

Then...

On my ride to work this morning, about 4 miles into my ride it felt like the chain was skipping. Its the AXS GX system, so I tried messing with the trim, but that didn't help. It seemed a consistent interval of about every 12th pedal stroke, and didn't seem to matter what gear i was in. It only seemed to happen on medium to hard pedaling. I don't see anything wrong with the chain or anything. I have no idea how the motor engages with the pedals, so I don't know how to tell if it's something there. It just feels like a slight extra pop forward in the pedals when pedaling.

Any ideas?

Thumper33

Sep 29, 2022
Denver, CO
I just turned it over with a friend and we looked at it for a bit. He thinks its a "b" screw adjustment. It looks like in 2nd gear the idler is super close to touching the teeth on the cassette. I'm not super familiar with this, but he has a jig he's going to bring into work tomorrow so we can measure where it should be and set it. I need to ride 8.5 miles home after work though, so wondering if a slight adjustment would be a good temporary idea to try.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Sounds like too much grease in the freehub.

If the gear is super close but not touching it has no effect on anything. It may be slightly out of adjustment though.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
your first experience of thecranks/chainwheel and chain all rotating but not driving the rear wheel can only really be caused by one thing...that being the freehub not engaging. Your second experience which you describe as "skipping" could equally be intermittent failure of the freehub.
A poor B stop tension adjustment will impact on the quality of gearchange...........worst case scenarios typically being skipping when using the highest gears ( smallest cogs) or the chain fouling the lowest gear cog ( largest cog). It is not common however for the B stop tension to alter once set...so if it worked properly before there is no reason for it to change. Problems with freehubs can and do occur over time however if the freehub is not properly maintained..........most especially if it has the pawl type engagement. Dirt ingress can prevent one or more pawls from engaging.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Also check if any links in the chain are tight and causing the chain to skip. I had this issue on the weekend. I think hitting rocks with chain ring was the culprit :D

Thumper33

Sep 29, 2022
Denver, CO
Thanks for all the replies. I may have more than one issue, but I found at least one of them. My chain broke on the ride home last night. I got only a couple of blocks and one of the pins wasn't attached to a "side plate?", so it came apart on the bike.
So... I was able to walk back to work and get some pliars and put the chain back together (though the pin still not seated in the link) and rode it home lightly that way. It felt exactly like it did on the way in... if I pedaled a little harder than light, it would jump occasionally, so that explains that issue.

I never mentioned, but here is the history on the bike... It's a 2022 model with only about 200 miles on it, so any issues would point to manufacturers defects. The chain on there was an "upgraded" XX1 chain by a local shop. I'm pretty sure I still have the receipt for it, though I'm not sure how sram handles warranties on a wear item. Theres no way they can tell me that wear caused this issue though. I had the chain put on by the shop and saw them adjust the b-tension when I told them it wasn't shifting quite right. It shifted just fine after that.

I'm not going to wait a week or two for sram to deal with the warranty even if they do warranty it, so I guess I'm just going to go out and buy a new chain. Grrrr.

Thumper33

Sep 29, 2022
Denver, CO
One more update. I had someone suggest to just put a masterlink in where it broke. I bought a couple to have some extras around anyway and am just going to try to fix it that way. Gets me back in action quickly.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
On my ride home yesterday, about a half mine into the ride it felt like the rear hub disengaged. I was going down a hill without a ton of effort, so I don't know how I would have broken anything. Pedaling forward or backward wouldn't do anything, no resistance at all. The chain did move with the pedals, but no resistance. I don't know exactly what I did I did downshift a time or two and it reengaged and seemed fine for the ride home.

Then...

On my ride to work this morning, about 4 miles into my ride it felt like the chain was skipping. Its the AXS GX system, so I tried messing with the trim, but that didn't help. It seemed a consistent interval of about every 12th pedal stroke, and didn't seem to matter what gear i was in. It only seemed to happen on medium to hard pedaling. I don't see anything wrong with the chain or anything. I have no idea how the motor engages with the pedals, so I don't know how to tell if it's something there. It just feels like a slight extra pop forward in the pedals when pedaling.

Any ideas?
Without getting technical i would saw a Pawl has stuck probably, I put grease on mine once not sure why ?, after i cleaned it off all was well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles