Fazua Ride 60 Test

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
Strangely enough, Wil over at Flow mtb does a range test on the same tracks for each Eeb he reviews. It is a metric, so I look at it in thinking about my understanding of each bike. It won't be perfect, the weather is different and all that, but it is something to go off.

What Rob has given me is some understanding of the new system. Better than none...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
but in reality a bike motor is just that a bike motor, whose DC design has been long detailed since milk floats abounded. There's not much new on DC motors other than computer controlling the field windings and even that has been around for a decades.

Mind you 25km and 1000m of climb at full power must put it up there with some of the full fat motors with much larger motors and batteries.

Does this mean that you acknowledge (if you choose to interpret the information we've been given in a productive way) that the information does give a useful comparison ?

But then if you're going to discount his professionalism and the relevance of his findings, does it even matter what he says, what mode he rides in, what terrain he rides ?

He could have been out the previous night on the lash and could only average a pathetic amount of human input up the hills.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
But then if you're going to discount his professionalism and the relevance of his findings, does it even matter what he says, what mode he rides in, what terrain he rides ?
Zimmer where have I said that ?

OK I'm out of this discussion, seems I'm flogging a dead horse or two.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Zimmer where have I said that ?
Post 89 in this thread :

Yes, it comes down to how you interpret what you said - but that's part of what we're talking about - how information is interpreted ?

It was a quick first thoughts on one test in Turbo as he likes to do that as a first ride to get a feel between different systems of their autonomy at max power. Some/most of us find that useful. You don't, but as we don't have AI articles which automatically re-write them for the desires of each reader, you're stuck with it :) When the full article is written, that should in theory answer your questions - we might even know what colour the bike is ....

OK I'm out of this discussion, seems I'm flogging a dead horse or two.
You have some valid points, you just seem to be chomping at the bit over a carrot you can't reach ? You sound a bit like you've eaten too many oats and need to go for a good ride or to be put out to stud for a couple of days ! :-D

TorAtle

Aug 4, 2018
OSLO
One interesting aspect of the Fazua is that if they decide to make a stronger motor, it could be made longer (not thicker / wider) because of the angled drive. It could be just as stealthy as it is in the Pivot.

Janisj

Aug 27, 2022
Germany
Hello all.
I suppose Rob is testing Nox Epium - one of my pick candidate. I would love to have something like Kenevo SL with Fazua 60 or TQ. :love:

ohm13

Jun 10, 2018
Seattle
I am gonna put my guess that it was an Ibis he was testing? They are gonna have to get into the EMTB game sooner or later. When they do, I’d bet it would be in the SL category and not FF (and it will probably be manufactured in California, just like the Exie cross country bike). We will see. I would love an Ibis EMTB to go with my Mojo.

I’ve already paid for a Fuel EXe that will be at my dealer in about a week. Based on Rob’s review of the Fazua Ride 60 and every bit of other research I’ve done, I think the Trek with the TQ motor was the right choice. I’ll take a 50 nm motor with a little smaller battery and a silent motor over the 60 nm Fazua. I think the Trek looks less like an EMTB than either the Pivot or the Transition (although these two hardly look like an EMTB also), which is also something I wanted. There are too many places in the US that still don’t allow EMTB. I will not hesitate to ride that Trek on any trail in the US, including Moab and Sedona.

I am also interested to hear Rob’s thought on the TQ vs. the Fazua Ride 60.
I like your attitude. Thankfully in Washington (where I live) there is no enforcement of "no ebike" rules but these bikes are gonna make it near impossible for anyone who cares.....HAHA!!!!!!

ghost48

Jan 25, 2019
Germany
@Rob Rides EMTB
Great review of the Fazua 60. First real world review of the new system. Appreciate your effort.

Were you able to ride with full fat EMTB during your tests? Can you keep up with full fat EMTB with 60 NM?

Besides my Levo and I ride a Kenevo SL. Love this bike. But when riding with full fat EMTB buddies 35 NM of the Mahle are a bit too weak.
You can keep up if buddies throttle down a bit but it is hard work though.

Think 60 NM motor generation will be the sweet spot.

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
I like your attitude. Thankfully in Washington (where I live) there is no enforcement of "no ebike" rules but these bikes are gonna make it near impossible for anyone who cares.....HAHA!!!!!!
ohm13:
You make a good point about Law Enforcement’s current activity of writing ebike violations. I personally haven’t heard of any being written in the US. I anyone knows of any, what was the fine amount?

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ

I had an Orbea Rise. I loved the bike, but as soon as I saw the EXe, I sold the Rise for the simple reason that you don’t know it is an E-bike and the motor is silent. The Rise was a REALLY good bike, but the motor was noisy, it rattled on descents, and there was no doubt when looking at it that was an EMTB. The Trek checks all those boxes.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Dreams are free, average weight of a non EBike full suspension these days are up around 29 - 30lbs ( excluding the exotics, just your average bike that anyone can afford ), motors even the lightest say 6lbs batteries say another 6lbs before you add in displays and wiring and larger brakes etc etc. Thats not going to change much in the next few decades I'm afraid.

Great you need your full fat because you want to be in the fast group, perfect thats your choice. Equally anyone of the major brands will do that climb, but not all will suit you and your requirements, hence we all buy different bikes. Equally if you slowed down even just few mph the physics surrounding power and battery power storage will dictate that you will use a lot less W/hs to get to the top, you could fit a smaller lighter battery. Going to the extreme of a very small lightweight engine say of 350W's ( Fazua 50 ) at by memory around 2lbs but with say a couple of teeth less on the front cog ( remember in climbing its not the power the engine will put out but how much torque is transmitted via the gearing to the rear wheel = battery requirement ) will do that climb, just at a slower average mph.

So Rob going hammer and tongs to simply flatten the battery of the bike to see the range of the bike, how does that tell you how the motor is going to perform ? He could have been out the previous night on the lash and could only average a pathetic amount of human input up the hills. Or he could have drunk the perfect amount of energy drink and honed himself for the day of the test ( as I'm sure he always does ). That basic difference in human power input would probably change his figures dramatically giving probably another 30 minutes of range. Perhaps he had a flattish tyre and didn't realise ? Even perhaps the bikes suspension wasn't set up correctly and thus was absorbing energy needlessly on every jump and bump, dissipating loads of energy in the form of heat. Had he had a largish lunch and supper before riding, try carrying ten full buckets up a short hill, now 1/2 empty the buckets and see which uses the least energy ( thats battery Whs to you and me ).

There are so many variables all inputting into the final range calculation guys, that these tests in my view are totally meaningless and in some ways harsh on the manufacturers, as these guys can make or break a bike on that first review, which indeed he has with your words

Wow, was that a 2-beer or 5-beer or 12 pack reply? Obviously I'm not going to change your mind. Rob's test ride was exactly the kind of riding I do every time I go out. It was extremely appropriate for me and a lot of us other how-fast-can-I-go mountain bikers. For goodness sakes, man, we want to know how it will stack up against our full fat bikes in the harshest conditions. Just another point of view, eh?

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
For those of us that won’t be purchasing a new EBike right away we can sit back and get input from those riders who have made the expensive purchase of one of the new SL’s and how they feel about their purchase after riding it a bunch. Those wanting to lay their hard earned money down NOW will be the Guinea pigs for the rest of us.

wdonegan

Aug 1, 2022
USA
- freewheeling makes a bit of a noise a bit like a loud hub.

This might be a deal breaker. Are we talking Industry Nine hub loud, or something more like a DT Swiss star ratchet hub? I'll take the soft whir and gentle rattle of an EP8 anyday over the angry bees scream of an I9.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
- freewheeling makes a bit of a noise a bit like a loud hub.

This might be a deal breaker. Are we talking Industry Nine hub loud, or something more like a DT Swiss star ratchet hub? I'll take the soft whir and gentle rattle of an EP8 anyday over the angry bees scream of an I9.
Not as loud as i9.

Jimmy Gipsy

Oct 5, 2018
Italia
I go against the tide. I ordered the Shuttle SL and I'm happy I don't have the I9 bodice. At the moment I have it both on MTB and gravel. Flawless operation but I can't stand its noise anymore 😂

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I go against the tide. I ordered the Shuttle SL and I'm happy I don't have the I9 bodice. At the moment I have it both on MTB and gravel. Flawless operation but I can't stand its noise anymore 😂

I love the noise, but more so, I love the engagement. So much better for technical riding where there is a lot of ratcheting. My wife’s Tubro Levo SL Comp has the factory hubs. The engagement is very noticeable and I cant stand it. I know the factory Specialized hubs are nothing special and there are other hubs that have decent engagement and are much quieter than I9’s. The Onyx especially comes to mind, but they are heavy as hell. The Onyx would be really nice. I‘ve thought about getting a belt driven single speed a some point. If I ever do, it will run the Onyx hubs.

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Today I used 65 trail and turbo.

Superb enjoyable ride, motor in the mid mode (River mode?!) - side note, brands have got to stop calling modes stupid names, but it is nice and responsive and progressive in power delivery.

Ps - Strava average rider power seems way off

13ECF074-B743-434B-91C2-DDA86C56445C.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Today I used 65 trail and turbo.

Superb enjoyable ride, motor in the mid mode (River mode?!) - side note, brands have got to stop calling modes stupid names, but it is nice and responsive and progressive in power delivery.

Ps - Strava average rider power seems way off

View attachment 96011
Now the Garmin records emtb, have they adapted it further and it's showing you power not total power ? What does it show if you make it private and change it to "ride" ?

It was the same on your exe ride, it didn't look right.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I thought the I9 Torch hubs wear annoyingly loud, but my Hydra hubs are more quiet than my DT Swiss 240 hubs with 54 ratchet.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Went to a eBike show this spring in Vancouver. These hubs caught my eye.
I don’t know if they have released the finished silent hub yet but I was able to try/spin the demo hub at the show. Seemed interesting? They also had a cut-away version which I also tried.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles