False cross bar for mounting bike on work stand

Moose

Feb 19, 2018
Cheltenham Spa
Just picked up one from Halfords for £10
Halfords False Cross Bar
Works a treat on my Levo.
Stated max weight 15kg but I am not using it on the back of a vehicle.
IMG_7822.jpg IMG_7823.jpg IMG_7826.jpg IMG_7824.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
sorry. i don't get it.

You've added one clamp to your stem and one clamp to your seatpost so you can add a clamp to the bar between the first two clamps.

Do you have a bit of a thing for clamping stuff to bikes? :ROFLMAO:

Why didn't you just clamp the bike in your workstand by the seatpost?

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Why didn't you just clamp the bike in your workstand by the seatpost?

I can think of a good reason.

I know that dropper posts take a lot of levering with heavy guys sat on them etc. But dropper posts are full of fine tolerance components and don't like being clamped excessively. I'm sure that overly tight seat clamps cause many early failures. Clamping on the seat post and hanging a heavy bike on it and then levering away on the length of the bike as you work on it just feels all wrong to me. The false cross bar looks like a very good idea to me. I might get one for my carbon framed clockwork bike! I reckon it would be good for mounting on the tow bar rack as well. :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hahaha
Oh. right? sorry. I didn't click the link and from your pice thought they were clamped to the bike in some sort of S&M bike dungeon. :LOL:
I think I get it now. So is it fairly loose on the bike?
erm... Not sure what to call them if they're not "clamps"? "stirups"? "grips"? maybe? Anyway if whatever is holding the stem and seatpost are loose are they still secure enough not to rub/slip on the stanchion of the dropper as you wrench on the bike in the stand?
I wouldn't fancy driving anywhere even with a bike under the weight limit hung on it if the stirups have any chance of rubbing on the dropper stanchion as driven.There's probably a way around that though with pipe lagging or a towel or something

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I have one of these. It’s not my favourite piece of kit in the world, but it can be made fully secure on a rack if your frame shape is awkward; I just use plenty of straps/bungees. I do always put extra padding around the seatpost though as noted by @Gary; I would not want it to rub there.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles