Levo Gen 3 Faint ringing noise on 2022 Levo Alloy

turbolego

Aug 5, 2022
Chico
I have a '22 Levo base model, has about 100 miles on it. When I am actively pedalling it has a faint noise that sounds like a ringing coming from the bottom bracket / motor area. The sound seems to increase when I lean the bike left. It's hard to describe the noise - kind of like if someone took a stick and ran it along some metal stair railings or fencing, or maybe if a regular metal chain were tinkling.

Anyone know what this is?

Julz

Jan 20, 2022
Innerleithen
Yes I had this on the same bike. Sounds bizarre but it was the rivet that holds the brake lever blade to the reservoir on the SRAM code r brakes. Try holding it at the rivet while riding and see if it stops. I‘ve no idea how you would eliminate it although I’ve since put Code RSC on as felt the R were crap.

turbolego

Aug 5, 2022
Chico
So it's not the rivet, I believe it is the rotor. The rear tire /wheel seems a little out of true, but it's the front rotor that seems to intermittently ring/ping. I reseated both wheels just in case, since the noise increases when I lean the bike left, but it didn't seem to help. Maybe I have a slightly bent rotor.

Didn't find any loose spokes.

Haven't checked the chain guide. I will try re-aligning the front brake caliper. I assume it's done in the same way as on dirt bikes? Loosen up the caliper, hold the brake lever, then retighten?

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
Look carefully on the inside of the Caliper mount (the bit nearest the rotor) my rotor would very slightly catch the post mount where the caliper is attached…if I braked heavy or put my weight over the front causing a “tinging” sound, I could see where it was catching as some of the black paint had warn away to reveal bare metal (very minimal but enough to notice)
On the inside of where caliper fits on the post mount.
so I filed a bit extra away....this immediately fixed my problem and the noise disappeared.

But it could be the motor…I had an intermittent ‘buzzing/ringing’ noise that I thought was coming from the motor, spoke to my LBS where I bought it from and they just took my word for it and put a new one in no questions asked 👍👏

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So it's not the rivet, I believe it is the rotor. The rear tire /wheel seems a little out of true, but it's the front rotor that seems to intermittently ring/ping. I reseated both wheels just in case, since the noise increases when I lean the bike left, but it didn't seem to help. Maybe I have a slightly bent rotor.

Didn't find any loose spokes.

Haven't checked the chain guide. I will try re-aligning the front brake caliper. I assume it's done in the same way as on dirt bikes? Loosen up the caliper, hold the brake lever, then retighten?
Assuming the noise is from the area of the front rotor it will not be pads rubbing, it will be the post mount or calliper touching the rotor ( metal to metal.) The post and or calliper are usually only mm from the rotor. If they touch only when you lean the bike you may have some play in the axle or even your fork. Once you have checked the clearances between post/calliper and rotor, check for any play on the front axle, possibly a worn bearing or simply the thru axle not sufficiently tightened. Usual torque is around 10nm.
ps if you want to align the calliper to prevent pad rub, loosening it and applying the brake is not the best way because it assumes all the calliper pistons are pushing out and retracting as they should. Best way is to check the pistons first....clean and lube them and then align the calliper by eye when you are happy they are operating smoothly.

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
I get this noise from time to time, intermittently. Usually at higher speed on the asphalt. It sounds like it's coming from the front rotor to me. Doesn't bother me too much.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I hear the same ringing when I ride my bike.
I hear the same ringing when my bike is stopped.
I hear the same ringing when I'm up here in the office reading EMTB Forums.

Guns, engines, rock n' roll. 🤘😆🤘

The doctors can't make mine go away.
But yours will probably go away if you center your calipers perfectly around your rotors.

turbolego

Aug 5, 2022
Chico
^Luckily I wised up to hearing loss from punk shows in my 20s... only have a little bit of that kind of ringing.

I'm going to check if it's the rotor zinging against something, but as long as it's not the motor I'm happy.

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
I get this noise from time to time, intermittently. Usually at higher speed on the asphalt. It sounds like it's coming from the front rotor to me. Doesn't bother me too much.

I get this on the front rotor too, typically only when the bike is on a camber to the left. The gutter of the road is perfect for recreating.

When I purchased my bike a guy was there with the exact same issue.

I'll take it to the specialized shop as I've already adjusted the brake caliper and no change.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles