Experience with Fezzari Timp Peak?

LowLow

Oct 30, 2020
Los Angrles
Does anyone have experience with the newly released Timp Peak? If so, how are you liking it? It's getting good reviews and the price is very competitive.

It's at the top of my list to replace my Trance emtb but I haven't pulled the trigger yet as I'm still deciding between that and a couple of other ebikes. Mainly I'm still debating whether I care about the fact that it has the Shimano EP8 motor, and also whether I should get a light emtb, in which case I'd probably get the Relay.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Does look interesting. As you say, gets good reviews. Frameset only option too.

Dual crown compatible, adjustable headset cups, 77.5 seat tube with lots of insertion depth, so up there with the "modern" geo for better climbing.

160 crank arms as standard. Decent wheels. Great brakes.

Don't really like where the rear brake hose feeds, but if that's the only weird thing about the bike then ....

Has a nice sleek silhouette unlike many of the newer obese looking bikes.

1683962751444.png

The Shimano motor will be fine "as a motor" .. what things will be like if you have problems, who knows, odds are, ok, but there's a lot of horror stories and Shimano only seem to keep making things worse on the support and warranty front. Saying that, you have a Giant now, and there's endless horror stories there too and you're probably not had any issues.

Looks like a cool bike. By the time you spec up a lightweight with similar components, it's only going to be 1kg less anyway. Don't know what it weighs, but everything about it would point to it being quite light, with custom battery rails for example.

Where's "Los Angrles" then ?

1683962410379.png

Last edited:

LowLow

Oct 30, 2020
Los Angrles
Thanks for the feedback. I’m in Glendale. The bike weighs 50.5lbs without pedals for the Pro edition.

The Shimano motor is a bit concerning but I’m guessing they’re not as unreliable as the internet makes it out to be, and it’s likely one of the reasons why it’s cheaper than similarly spec’d bikes.

One thing I noticed is that on the size medium the WB seems short compared to similar bikes like the Wild and Relay, but that difference goes away in size large. I’m 5’9” and was thinking about the medium because it has the reach I’m used to, but it seems like I’m in-between sizes.

Also, the stack is lower by about 10mm than similar bikes but I’m guessing that’s in part due to the short CS (437mm), which is part of the reason reviewers say its “playful” and “lively.”

tabbibus

May 5, 2023
Atlanta, USA
This bike looks fantastic. Specs are wild! I am so tempted to order one but that EP8 motor just makes me pause. Is it really that bad?

LowLow

Oct 30, 2020
Los Angrles
This bike looks fantastic. Specs are wild! I am so tempted to order one but that EP8 motor just makes me pause. Is it really that bad?
My guess is that the EP8 motor is not as bad as some have made it out to be. This isn't based on any personal experience, but what my shop has said, as well as Loam Wolf. Supposedly the rattle is pretty minimal on this bike. Also, I spoke with the Fezzari folks and their customer service was really really good, so you'd hopefully be able to work through them with any issues.

That being said, I ended up putting a deposit on the Relay PNW for a few reasons: I was able to at least see and sit on the PNW, which felt good; at 5'9" I'm less in-between sizes on the PNW than the Timp Peak, especially for WB since the Timp Peak's medium is 1230mm and large is 1265mm while the PNW's is 1247mm, which is closer to what I wanted; and the PNW is ~5lbs lighter in the XO version.

Hard decision though, and I may still get the Timp Peak if I hear bad things about the PNW, but so far the main complaints about the Relay aren't things I'm too concerned about (cheap feeling controls, having to take out the battery, etc.). I wish there were more reviews on it though, seems kind of crazy it was pumped up a year ago and there are no reviews from the bigger outlets (or Rob!).

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia

I wouldn’t stress over it more than any of the other options out there, especially with a warranty and apparently solid customer service from Fezzari. Quite a tempting bike.

tabbibus

May 5, 2023
Atlanta, USA
I'm at a crossroads with the specs. The "upgraded" wheels are the Crankbrothers emtb specific carbon wheels. if they are anything like the regular ones, they should be nice. But the hub is 17 degrees of engagement. The lower tier ones are DTHX1700, which I believe are 24 degrees. What does everyone think about this?

LowLow

Oct 30, 2020
Los Angrles
I'm at a crossroads with the specs. The "upgraded" wheels are the Crankbrothers emtb specific carbon wheels. if they are anything like the regular ones, they should be nice. But the hub is 17 degrees of engagement. The lower tier ones are DTHX1700, which I believe are 24 degrees. What does everyone think about this?
In the Loam Wolf review (the one that reviewed the Timp Peak only, not the roundup video), they mentioned that the front end of the bike was pretty stiff. The reviewers actually put a One Up bar on there to increase compliance. I mentioned this to a Fezzari rep and he conceded the point. This makes me think that carbon wheels wouldn't be an ideal choice for this bike, though I've never tried the CB carbon wheels so maybe they have a good amount of compliance. If it were me, I'd just get the DT Swiss wheels and see how you like them. Worst case, you beat them up for a while and then get the carbon wheels.

But if you still are debating between the two, you should confirm how many teeth the DT Swiss ratchet hubs have. If they come with 18t, you'd have 20d of engagement, but they may come with the 36t or 54t, in which case you'd have a lot more engagement. And you can always upgrade the star ratchets from 18t to 36 or 54t for about $100. I personally love DT Swiss 350s and 240s because they're very easy to maintain and seem to last forever. And 54t is plenty of engagement for me.

tabbibus

May 5, 2023
Atlanta, USA
In the Loam Wolf review (the one that reviewed the Timp Peak only, not the roundup video), they mentioned that the front end of the bike was pretty stiff. The reviewers actually put a One Up bar on there to increase compliance. I mentioned this to a Fezzari rep and he conceded the point. This makes me think that carbon wheels wouldn't be an ideal choice for this bike, though I've never tried the CB carbon wheels so maybe they have a good amount of compliance. If it were me, I'd just get the DT Swiss wheels and see how you like them. Worst case, you beat them up for a while and then get the carbon wheels.

But if you still are debating between the two, you should confirm how many teeth the DT Swiss ratchet hubs have. If they come with 18t, you'd have 20d of engagement, but they may come with the 36t or 54t, in which case you'd have a lot more engagement. And you can always upgrade the star ratchets from 18t to 36 or 54t for about $100. I personally love DT Swiss 350s and 240s because they're very easy to maintain and seem to last forever. And 54t is plenty of engagement for me.
It is basically a 350 hub with beefier build. Yeah i saw that about the stiff front end. Agree with all that you said. I'm totally leaning towards the DT wheels. Saves me even more money.

LowLow

Oct 30, 2020
Los Angrles
It is basically a 350 hub with beefier build. Yeah i saw that about the stiff front end. Agree with all that you said. I'm totally leaning towards the DT wheels. Saves me even more money.
Good choice! Don't the 350s come with the 36t star ratchet? If so, you'd have 10d of engagement.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that it's "350 with Ratchet System 24." I guess the 24 is the degrees of engagement you were referring to.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles