• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Essential tools

shawry

Aug 13, 2019
Catterick Camp
Hi,

So, i'm now waiting for my levo to arrive at the lbs, i have about 10 days before its in my possession.

Unfortunately I'm a complete novice, what tools/kit do i need for home, and when im out.

Bike will be remaining stock, apart from the lbs are converting to tubeless for me.

Tia, and sorry for the stupid questions :(

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hi,

So, i'm now waiting for my levo to arrive at the lbs, i have about 10 days before its in my possession.

Unfortunately I'm a complete novice, what tools/kit do i need for home, and when im out.

Bike will be remaining stock, apart from the lbs are converting to tubeless for me.

Tia, and sorry for the stupid questions :(

I think the levo comes with some SWAT kit - so a multitool which will do all the basics ..

For me, I bought a shock pump, though you could just get the bike shop to set it and unless you're changing pressures regularly in your forks, you probably won't use it that often, but its handy to have.

ROCK SHOX High Pres. Suspension Pump at Best Price

I think my most used item is my torque wrench set. Gives you lots of peace of mind to make sure everythings tightened up correctly and makes it far easier if you need to take anything off, like crank arms

Radon Torque Wrench 1/4" 5-25 Nm fixable incl. Bits | Tools Boxes Shop

A decent track pump for checking your tyre pressures/inflating - they can lose air over time. Possibly also a pressure gauge, though I somehow screwed mine the first time I tried it as it got tubeless fluid in it !

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Mini pump, tyre levers, spare tube (even if you are tubeless), tube patches. In other words all the things you need to insert a tube if (when) you get a flat, and to repair the tube if it then gets a puncture. I carried that stuff in my pack for years without ever having to use them. But then I needed them twice within a few weeks and I would have paid twice what they cost to get them if I didn't have them! A digital pressure gauge(Topeak D2) would be very useful.

Half a dozen paper kitchen towels folded up and stuck in your pocket. They come in handy for all manner of uses. Wipes (nose, hands, arse....), bandages.... always useful. One pair of throw away latex gloves, the sort that caterer's and bike mechanics use they come in boxes of a 50 for a few quid. Essential for dealing with the chain or for inserting a tube in a tubeless tyre that has sealant in it!

Mini tool with a chain breaker (Topeak again)., Multipliers are very useful from time to time on the trail (like removing your tubeless valve so that you can insert an inner tube, pulling jammed chain out from wherever it's got jammed, cutting zip ties and fence wire, twisting fence wire to make a chain hook..........). Mine are by Gerber, don't bother with the ones you get from the garage with a tank full of petrol and £5, they are totally useless. Zip ties, lots of zip ties. Get 2,3,4 and 5 mm wide and get the long ones, you can always shorten them. Wrap two feet of 2" wide gaffer tape around the barrel of the mini pump. Gaffer tape can fix most things and even be most things! Renew it every year before it goes gooey.

Take a spare magic link for your chain. When you eventually replace your chain do not discard the few links that you don't use, instead put 6 links in your pack for emergencies. Carry a spare set of brake pads, one set will be OK as front and rear never wear out together.

If you ride anywhere rocky, a spare mech hanger may save the day - but only if you have the mini tool referenced earlier.

A good track pump in your garage or car, mine is a Jo Blow - had it years.

Then you will need to start building your toolbox for home use. That's another thread.

Last edited:

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Sometimes you need a lot of water so a camelback is essential. That frees up the cage for a toolkit. Tire levers & Leatherman won’t fit but almost everything else does.
Definitely the torque wrench. Topeak D-Torque seems good. They also have nano ones that it'd fit in the bottle
toolkit.jpg
kit.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Stuff to have with you as spares/repair/tools is little different to any mtb as per posts above but I would add 2.5mm allen key which is not a size included on the spesh swat tool.
Tools to include for home maintenance would be cassette tool (fork air spring) 12mm through axle cassette tool, 8 point spider tool, torque wrench, chain link tool, master link pliers, contact cleaner, socket/hex/torx set, brush set, ipa, bike grease, spoke spanner, chain whip.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles