EP801 compatibility question

Tom M

Dec 23, 2023
usa
Hello,
I recently purchased a brand new 2023 Nukeproof Megawatt Alloy Elite with the Shimano EP801 motor. I can't modify the display settings on the bike or get bluetooth to work so I can use the Etube app. . I've read all of the shimano documents and my problem seems to be that I don't have what Shimano refers to as an "A" (enter) button on either the SC-EN600 display or on the SW-EM800L switch. I can access the menus by pressing both switch buttons simultaneously but I cannot figure out how to select something from the menu. I think I need an "enter" button that just isn't there.

My question is, am I correct in thinking that I need either a new switch or a new display computer?

I have attached a page below from the E-tube Project compatibility chart that seems to confirm that my display computer and switch are not compatible, but I may not be interpreting the chart correctly. If I am reading it correctly I think that Nukeproof messed up and they owe everyone who bought their 2023 Megawatts a new switch or a new display computer. I have emailed their customer service but haven't heard back yet. I'll try the seller's customer service next week after Christmas if I don't hear from Nukeproof who I believe in bankruptcy now.

I actually love the bike so far except for this one little issue. I bought it at 60% off of MSRP so if neither Nukeproof or the seller (Competetive Cyclist) can make this right I will just buy a new switch or display myself.

1703370973678.png

Thanks for any help,
Tom

Tom M

Dec 23, 2023
usa
Hi Tom,
I’m finding myself in the same situation. Did you manage to find a way to get this working?
Yes. First I replaced the stock SWI-EM800L handlebar switch with the SW-EN600L switch which includes the bluetooth interface. It didn't work when I plugged it in so I returned the switch and bought the SC-EM800 display which also includes the bluetooth interface. That didn't work either so I contacted Nukeproof and they told me that I needed to take the bike to a Shimano dealer who can connect to the bike to enable the new display. I did that, they downloaded new firmware, and it works now. I believe the dealer could have made the switch that I returned work if I had brought it to them before returning it.

A really nice thing about the SC-EN600 display that came on the bike is it displays the battery level with ten bars instead of five so you have a much better idea of how much battery you have left. The SW-EN600L switch with bluetooth is bigger than the nice switch that the bike came with but if you can live with that you might appreciate the better battery display.

Sgoulter

Apr 20, 2024
Southampton
Yes. First I replaced the stock SWI-EM800L handlebar switch with the SW-EN600L switch which includes the bluetooth interface. It didn't work when I plugged it in so I returned the switch and bought the SC-EM800 display which also includes the bluetooth interface. That didn't work either so I contacted Nukeproof and they told me that I needed to take the bike to a Shimano dealer who can connect to the bike to enable the new display. I did that, they downloaded new firmware, and it works now. I believe the dealer could have made the switch that I returned work if I had brought it to them before returning it.

A really nice thing about the SC-EN600 display that came on the bike is it displays the battery level with ten bars instead of five so you have a much better idea of how much battery you have left. The SW-EN600L switch with bluetooth is bigger than the nice switch that the bike came with but if you can live with that you might appreciate the better battery display.
Thank you.
Shimano dealer here I come.

Does annoy me though, spending all this money on a nukeproof and it doesn’t work properly!

Tom M

Dec 23, 2023
usa
I agree that it's annoying. I think Nukeproof and Vitus both left the bluetooth compatibility off of most of their 2023 bikes by mistake.

FYI if you find that you're getting a lot of pedal strikes and occasionally hit the motor cover on stuff I highly recommend getting a skid plate from Ninetydown and installing set of 155mm cranks. Here's where I got mine:

E-thirteen makes 155mm cranks for other motors but not for Shimano so I went with the Pinnd cranks. So far they're great!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles