EMTB wannabe ... Canyon pedal strikes?

Osprey

Aug 11, 2018
South Wales
Hi All,

I've just test ridden a Canyon Spectral:On 8.0 on the tame Cycle Show "trail" and had loads is pedal strikes ... Was it just poorly set up for the fat bugger I am or have others experienced issues?

Loved the rest of the ride and the Alpine 6e Factory as well.

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
Hi All,

I've just test ridden a Canyon Spectral:On 8.0 on the tame Cycle Show "trail" and had loads is pedal strikes ... Was it just poorly set up for the fat bugger I am or have others experienced issues?

Loved the rest of the ride and the Alpine 6e Factory as well.

i’ll normally get a few pedal strikes on my ride but i can’t say it’s any worse than my normal bike, there’s 2 rear shock settings that lowers and raises the bb height, maybe it was on the lowest setting ?

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I will try and ride it tomorrow and see if I have the same issue! Was this on the outdoor trail or the indoor Bosch track?

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I rode it today and asked them to set up sag etc and it was fine no pedal strikes. It flew through the rock garden section like it was smooth tarmac. I’m 92kg 5’10”

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Yep, same, no pedal strikes for me and it laughed at the rock garden sections with huge grip and very plush suspension. Very very impressed.

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
I got a few pedal strikes first time I took my 8.0 out but haven't had any in 4 weeks of riding since. I don't think it's the bike. I simply think that emtbs allow you to pedal through stuff you simply wouldn't before hand and therefore you will be prone to a few more pedal strikes here and there

EbikeTom

Sep 23, 2018
Annecy, France
I get one or two every ride in the low/slack setting, but it’s not enough to be a problem. I’ve set the suspension up with a shock wiz so I’m fairly confident it’s well sorted. Having said that, I’m running 160mm lyriks on the front, which I guess might push the bb height up a bit more than spec.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Only been out on my 7.0 on one decent trail so far but no pedal strikes at all and saint flats are huge pedals. Apart from in the car park climbing banks and ledges I'd never have tried on my standard bikes. Geometry seems spot on to me.

Thewootts

Aug 19, 2018
united kingdom
lets be honest, if it was efficient enough crank arms would be as short as possible to avoid pedal strikes. when you don't have a motor assisting you need to find a balance with length..

Even when racing DH pedal strikes are common and you are not peddling very much at all. high roots when you drop a pedal on corners, sneaky tree stumps and the likes.

The closer you can get the pedals to the bottom bracket the better. I've had some nasty pedal strike crashes.

But hey, we all have different styles of riding and all ride at different speed and levels... whatever works for you i guess.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Doesn't teh canyon come with 165mm cranks? Most brands are moving to shorter cranks for next year.

Justchillin

Aug 28, 2018
Derby
I get one or two every ride in the low/slack setting, but it’s not enough to be a problem. I’ve set the suspension up with a shock wiz so I’m fairly confident it’s well sorted. Having said that, I’m running 160mm lyriks on the front, which I guess might push the bb height up a bit more than spec.
How do you find 160mm on your lyrics was thinking of uping my 7.0 lyrics to 160mm

Justchillin

Aug 28, 2018
Derby
I find them great, I ride in the low/slack setting the whole time. I live in the French alps and am riding at lot of steep technical stuff and bike feels perfect, I wouldn’t change a thing.
Yes i ride mine in the slack position to, i was thinking the 10mm extra travel would slacken it 0.5dg nicely and also a little more travel would be nice on days out in the mountains.
I can’t fault the lyrics at 150mm

elyhim

May 31, 2018
usa north carolina
I set my sag at 10% I use 150mm cranks and if I run my 2.3 wheel set I'll get some pedal strikes and have to be wary of my ratchet in areas. Running my 2.8 wheel set I don't worry at all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles