EMTB recommendations for a short person?

encinoman

Aug 22, 2020
Los Angeles
Looking for a full suspension EMTB with the lowest possible standover height to accommodate a short person. Liv (made by Giant) is the lowest I've seen. Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
How short is short ? There have been quite a few people in the past who've called themselves short - but that will be different to everyone ?

4'9 ? Shorter ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Another popular size over the last couple of months ..

Not hugely conclusive .. the Liv option generally seems to be popular.

encinoman

Aug 22, 2020
Los Angeles
Another popular size over the last couple of months ..

Not hugely conclusive .. the Liv option generally seems to be popular.
Awesome, thanks for this.

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I just ordered a Live Embolden for my wife who is 5 ft. she currently rides a Converted Marin XS but the standover is still too high for her so she struggles starting and stopping, and that can get dangerous The Embolden should give her 1 to 2 inches more of standover. On the flip side I am 5 11 and I have very short legs only 29 inch inseam. I ride a Levo and honestly I ride a large as I am more comfortable on it but even the Medium one gets me as the standover is a challenge for me. I deal with it as I have ridden dirt bikes for years and there was never a proper dirt bike that I could flatfoot, so I learned to deal with it. one trick is to plant your left foot on the ground and lean the bike to the left to stop. To start start with the left foot on the ground and leaned to the left and put your right foot on the pedal just past top dead center, and push off with that foot while letting that force lift the bike to straight up and down while you sit on the seat and go. take lots of practice, which you can do in any field over and over and over...

encinoman

Aug 22, 2020
Los Angeles
I just ordered a Live Embolden for my wife who is 5 ft. she currently rides a Converted Marin XS but the standover is still too high for her so she struggles starting and stopping, and that can get dangerous The Embolden should give her 1 to 2 inches more of standover. On the flip side I am 5 11 and I have very short legs only 29 inch inseam. I ride a Levo and honestly I ride a large as I am more comfortable on it but even the Medium one gets me as the standover is a challenge for me. I deal with it as I have ridden dirt bikes for years and there was never a proper dirt bike that I could flatfoot, so I learned to deal with it. one trick is to plant your left foot on the ground and lean the bike to the left to stop. To start start with the left foot on the ground and leaned to the left and put your right foot on the pedal just past top dead center, and push off with that foot while letting that force lift the bike to straight up and down while you sit on the seat and go. take lots of practice, which you can do in any field over and over and over...
Thanks a bunch! Very helpful. Will definitely use all of these tips. And yes, I was also looking at the Embolden in XS.

Giox

Aug 4, 2020
Switzerland/Italy
Looking for a full suspension EMTB with the lowest possible standover height to accommodate a short person. Liv (made by Giant) is the lowest I've seen. Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
My wife is 1.58 and I think the best option for her will be the Whyte E160 size XS. Liv and Giant have a low standover but the seat tube is interrupted so that you cannot insert the dropper post completely, negating part of the advantage of the small size

elyhim

May 31, 2018
usa north carolina

Thanks in advance.

I think Liv is the shortest but you can get to the same place from a 29" if the bike has 2.8/2.6 tires and coming down to 2.3. Dropping from 29" wheels to 27.5 sucks for pedal strikes. I went with the Rail 5 for my wife with the intent to get the 2.3 tires with a different wheel set.

encinoman

Aug 22, 2020
Los Angeles
I think Liv is the shortest but you can get to the same place from a 29" if the bike has 2.8/2.6 tires and coming down to 2.3. Dropping from 29" wheels to 27.5 sucks for pedal strikes. I went with the Rail 5 for my wife with the intent to get the 2.3 tires with a different wheel set.
Oh I didn’t realize that. Thanks for the info.

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
The Merida 2020 E120 500 with the external battery has a pretty low standover height from my research. The small frame has a 698mm standover height.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I wonder if commencal demo center in cali is open. They have really good standover. The new 2021's are being released in a week. I wouldnt be surprised if they have even more standover for 21. My 21' meta 29 has a super low standover

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles