• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

EMTB Enduro - Radon Deft vs Giant Reign

timmy37

Apr 11, 2024
Germany
Hey Guys,

I would like to get an e-bike in addition to my normal fully. I would also like to ride it in bike parks and on my home trails. Therefore I wanna have an enduro bike with 170mm front suspension. Price maximum is about 5300€

In this category, I've picked out the Radon Deft 9.0 and Giant Reign E+1(2022). What do you think, which one would you prefer? Or do you have any other bikes in this price range that you think of?

Radon Deft 9.0 - 4750€
Giant Reign E+1 (750Wh) - 4580€

Would be really happy to hear your opinion :)

Last edited:

timmy37

Apr 11, 2024
Germany
I have the reign e+2 and love it never ridden the radon. Reign is a monster on dh and loves big hits and rough terrain. Can be a little cumbersome on slower techy switchbacks.
oh that sounds good. read a lot good about the reign bikes, but also read about some problems with the motor. that some people could no longer turn on the engine because it was indicated that the engine had been modified or tuned, which was not true. because more people then had this problem, giant realized that it was apparently an update problem

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
I went through a similar choice myself and ended on the Reign. Main criteria was that I had already had 3 direct sales bikes, but wanted to try the local shop experience again.

I think both bikes will be quite similar on trail. The Giant motor is actually quite reliable, their software is a bit spotty, but recent updates have all been quite stable. I managed to negotiate a 800Wh battery as a free upgrade on my 22 model last year.

You will probably get a bit (5-10%) more assistance and range out of the Radon based on my experience riding with friends on Bosch systems.

timmy37

Apr 11, 2024
Germany
I went through a similar choice myself and ended on the Reign. Main criteria was that I had already had 3 direct sales bikes, but wanted to try the local shop experience again.

I think both bikes will be quite similar on trail. The Giant motor is actually quite reliable, their software is a bit spotty, but recent updates have all been quite stable. I managed to negotiate a 800Wh battery as a free upgrade on my 22 model last year.

You will probably get a bit (5-10%) more assistance and range out of the Radon based on my experience riding with friends on Bosch systems.
oh so next one with a reign and happy also with it (y) the local shop experience I dont have neither bc this price is also from a webshop. but i think 4600€ for its, its a good price with these components on it.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
I have a 2022 Reign E+2, about 3,000km without issues. Prior to this one I had the 2020 Giant Trance E+2 also without issues. I think Radon are not available in North America, specs look good though. From what I read, the Bosch motor is probably a bit more punchy than Yamaha (Giant) for similar torque level. My two cents would be to go with LBS for local support making sure the LBS has a good working relationship with the brand. Also this year, financial situations might be difficult for some brands, I’d look into that. Shopping for new bike is a fun thing, Enjoy! 😊

Z3nD3n

Feb 13, 2024
Porto
I bought a Radon 9.0 750 about a week ago and I can only say good things about it. The price taking into account its constitution is very good.
The suspension is awasome.
Regarding the engine, as I have no experience I cannot give much help, but it's normal for there to be several problems as it will certainly be one of the best-selling engines in e-bikes. The problem is when people chip the engine. Assistance is important and then, if you are from Germany, Radon could be, in my opinion, the best choice.

I hope help you in this difficult decision..

Best Regards From Portugal

timmy37

Apr 11, 2024
Germany
I bought a Radon 9.0 750 about a week ago and I can only say good things about it. The price taking into account its constitution is very good.
The suspension is awasome.
Regarding the engine, as I have no experience I cannot give much help, but it's normal for there to be several problems as it will certainly be one of the best-selling engines in e-bikes. The problem is when people chip the engine. Assistance is important and then, if you are from Germany, Radon could be, in my opinion, the best choice.

I hope help you in this difficult decision..

Best Regards From Portugal
Sounds really good(y). Have you ridden it in the bike park? And how does it shift? I'm a bit disappointed why they used an NX trigger and not a GX trigger, the same with the chain.
On the Giant E+1 everything would be XT, even the brakes.
And do you have any strange noises while riding, I read that some people had to lubricate some parts and then the noise disappeared.

Z3nD3n

Feb 13, 2024
Porto
Sounds really good(y). Have you ridden it in the bike park? And how does it shift? I'm a bit disappointed why they used an NX trigger and not a GX trigger, the same with the chain.
On the Giant E+1 everything would be XT, even the brakes.
And do you have any strange noises while riding, I read that some people had to lubricate some parts and then the noise disappeared.
Yesterday I took my longest ride, 105km between mountain and road, and overall it behaved well. I noticed towards the end that there was a noise coming from the chain that passed after washing and lubricating it.
As for the shifts, I have nothing to point out.

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
I’ve a ‘22 Reign E+1, it is a hugely enjoyable ride. Not one for just ‘going for a ride’, it’s really much more enjoyable the harder you go. Hair on fire is the best :)

In 5000km (18 months ownership), I’ve had one motor replacement, and it just went back into the shop yesterday for another motor issue. Let’s see.

Bosch certainly seems the pick of the motors. My pal has run radons for many years and very much likes them. Great VFM.

2 strikes against the Radon that i can see - farking headset cable tourism!!! Why, god, why? Awful.

Also the kink in the seat tube may restrict dropper length, and depending on your height can create really bad effective seat tube angles. Giant has a ‘proper’ straight seat tube, clean and clear all the way to the bottom, that points straight at the BB axle. Good job giant.

Geometry is also very conservative on the Radon - it‘s really very short, tall and relatively steep for something with so much travel.

timmy37

Apr 11, 2024
Germany
I’ve a ‘22 Reign E+1, it is a hugely enjoyable ride. Not one for just ‘going for a ride’, it’s really much more enjoyable the harder you go. Hair on fire is the best :)

In 5000km (18 months ownership), I’ve had one motor replacement, and it just went back into the shop yesterday for another motor issue. Let’s see.

Bosch certainly seems the pick of the motors. My pal has run radons for many years and very much likes them. Great VFM.

2 strikes against the Radon that i can see - farking headset cable tourism!!! Why, god, why? Awful.

Also the kink in the seat tube may restrict dropper length, and depending on your height can create really bad effective seat tube angles. Giant has a ‘proper’ straight seat tube, clean and clear all the way to the bottom, that points straight at the BB axle. Good job giant.

Geometry is also very conservative on the Radon - it‘s really very short, tall and relatively steep for something with so much travel.
5000km is a lot. I hope your engine will be fine soon :) But its still annoying if you have to replace your motor within 18 months.
yeah i heard good things about the bosch engine too, the only thing on the radon that i dont like so much is the nx parts, like the chain and trigger. Everything else would be fine....ok maybe the brakes I would change to Shigura.
I really like the XT components on the Giant. My first bike also had a full XT setup and it worked perfectly and never gave me any problems. The only thing I dislike about the Giant is the part of the frame where the battery is. I think the frame looks more modern with the Radon.
I was able to test ride the Giant (E+ 0 2022) and it felt fantastic. They didn't have the E+ 1 for testing, but I think you'll only feel the difference on trails and not on the road.
Radon I cannot do the test ride bc its too far away for me.
Ahh its a really hard decision, if the frame wasn't so bulky on the Giant it would be an easy decision and I would have bought it already.

Z3nD3n

Feb 13, 2024
Porto
5000km is a lot. I hope your engine will be fine soon :) But its still annoying if you have to replace your motor within 18 months.
yeah i heard good things about the bosch engine too, the only thing on the radon that i dont like so much is the nx parts, like the chain and trigger. Everything else would be fine....ok maybe the brakes I would change to Shigura.
I really like the XT components on the Giant. My first bike also had a full XT setup and it worked perfectly and never gave me any problems. The only thing I dislike about the Giant is the part of the frame where the battery is. I think the frame looks more modern with the Radon.
I was able to test ride the Giant (E+ 0 2022) and it felt fantastic. They didn't have the E+ 1 for testing, but I think you'll only feel the difference on trails and not on the road.
Radon I cannot do the test ride bc its too far away for me.
Ahh its a really hard decision, if the frame wasn't so bulky on the Giant it would be an easy decision and I would have bought it already.

Z3nD3n

Feb 13, 2024
Porto
I can't understand which Radon you are talking about... I have the 9.0 and the brakes and shifters are XT.

timmy37

Apr 11, 2024
Germany
I can't understand which Radon you are talking about... I have the 9.0 and the brakes and shifters are XT.

Radon DEFT
you are talking about the Render😅 I also typed in the title "Radon Deft vs Giant Reign"
ahh on the render you have XT, thats nice, but I really wanna have 170mm fork on the front...so its DEFT deft option

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles