eLEVOlution - Customised my Levo, now in 20kg bracket

Moochier

Apr 17, 2019
New Zealand
So a mate and I have ‘19 Levo base models that we’ve been riding and modifying since April this year. They’re a bit different now from where it all started and have just cracked into the 20kg bracket without compromising component or performance.

Thought some of you might be interested in the build? This has been built over the 6 months while riding and upgrading so to get a feel for what each upgrade does.

We’ve both gone mullet now, with 29” front and 27.5” rear wheel sizes
Upped the front fork travel from 150 to 160 and now to 170mm
My mate has swapped in a 210x57mm shock while mine is still oem 210x52.5mm. I’m thinking a 210x55mm is the way to go.

My build consists of:
29x2.6” Minion DHF 3C EXO front on Bontrager Line Pro 30 carbon wheel
27.5x2.6” Minion DHF 3C EXO rear on Bontrager Line Pro 40 carbon wheel
Running Tubeless with Stan’s latex
SRAM Guide RSC brakes 200mm rotors front and rear
Rockshox Lyric RC2 at 170mm
Sublime V One 50mm stem
Rental carbon bar 780mm
SRAM XX1 shifter 11sp
SRAM XX cassette 10-42
XX1 Rear Deraileur
Oem Praxis cranks - might swap these out one day
XTR Pedals
Reverb 150mm dropper - heavy!
Fabric carbon seat
500W battery
OEM base model Rockshox shock... I’m sure there is better but I’ve been impressed with it given its the base model shock!
Total weight 20.9kg

64.4 deg head angle
337mm bb height to axle cntr
357 rear axle height
377 front axle height

I’m not in love with the colour combination or coordination of the build, but I am in love with the bike, it’s stable at speed yet still quick to manoeuvre and it pops and lofts easily. Levo’s rock!
7E58A4DF-84A8-4C90-AE63-A8B65EEFFDFA.jpeg

BBD2104B-F27F-45F3-8E13-3235EFA8D244.jpeg

EB7A76CD-290D-4571-9114-AB21954B4FA7.jpeg

30861D88-CAF8-499B-87EF-5468797E86E8.jpeg

Stormhard

Oct 8, 2019
Uk
Thanks for posting this. Very interesting. Did you take your own geometry measurements before making the changes?

Also, what is the anticipated effect of fitting a shock with a different stroke length - are you after more travel?

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
swap out your cranks for the praxis carbons, its another 100grms. Since you already have the fatbar, get the renthal stem, more savings there

My 2019 expert is at 20.5kg with Santa Cruz Reserve rims.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
swap out your cranks for the praxis carbons, its another 100grms. Since you already have the fatbar, get the renthal stem, more savings there

Replacing original stem to Renthal don't save much of weight. Both were 40 mm
124 g => 119 g

Moochier

Apr 17, 2019
New Zealand
Thanks for posting this. Very interesting. Did you take your own geometry measurements before making the changes?

Also, what is the anticipated effect of fitting a shock with a different stroke length - are you after more travel?

Each change was thought through, but it was more a case of riding the bike after each change to see how it felt and if it was an improvement. Those geo measurements were taken just the other day as I thought someone might want to know them.

A shock of same overall length obviously won’t change the geo and yes a few more mm in stroke will give the rear more travel. With the 27.5 rear wheel this isn’t an issue, but I wouldn’t do it with a 29” rear wheel as even with the oem shock I found the tyre would buzz my arse on steeper descents.

I have tried a coil shock, albeit an older fox, but found it killed the playfulness of the bike. I think the air shocks help disguise the weight of the bike and helps keep it poppy.

Moochier

Apr 17, 2019
New Zealand

Yeah I’m thinking a slightly shorter crank arm might be good too, but haven’t researched what’s available yet.

The sun line stem was just what I had, it’s 5mm longer than I’d like, but light.

Wow 20.5kg... got a built spec somewhere? Wheel sizes? Shock?

onabike

Aug 21, 2019
San Diego, CA

where'd you pick up a set of the Praxis carbons? Happen to a link or exact model that mounts up just fine?

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Yeah I’m thinking a slightly shorter crank arm might be good too, but haven’t researched what’s available yet.

The sun line stem was just what I had, it’s 5mm longer than I’d like, but light.

Wow 20.5kg... got a built spec somewhere? Wheel sizes? Shock?

Renthal fatbar 760mm
Renthal Stem
Santa Cruz Reserve wheel set - 27.5
Ti bolts for stem/headset/calipers etc
500wh battery from base model
Praxis Carbon levo cranks

Fork and shock is still stock, but i added a 160mm airspring to my pike to make up for the drop in HA switching to 27.5

20190905_154323.jpg

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Each change was thought through, but it was more a case of riding the bike after each change to see how it felt and if it was an improvement. Those geo measurements were taken just the other day as I thought someone might want to know them.

A shock of same overall length obviously won’t change the geo and yes a few more mm in stroke will give the rear more travel. With the 27.5 rear wheel this isn’t an issue, but I wouldn’t do it with a 29” rear wheel as even with the oem shock I found the tyre would buzz my arse on steeper descents.

I have tried a coil shock, albeit an older fox, but found it killed the playfulness of the bike. I think the air shocks help disguise the weight of the bike and helps keep it poppy.

yea, i had a ohlins TTX coil on my previous 18 sworks Levo, it changed the bike completely. In fact, my entire group has coils on the 18 levo.

But with the longer rear travel on the 19 levo, I didnt feel the need for a coil. so i kept the stock shock

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I've seen a few amazing Levo's...that's definitely another. Bet it rides like nothing else too. I'm guessing you could go sub 20 kg but then becomes more an exercise in extreme wallet liposuction.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
I've seen a few amazing Levo's...that's definitely another. Bet it rides like nothing else too. I'm guessing you could go sub 20 kg but then becomes more an exercise in extreme wallet liposuction.
A sub 20kg 2019 levo is possible with the Sworks...not with the other models imo

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
My Levo has been modified much the same way over the last 6 months - I also got it to the 20 kg bracket, but found the carbon rims too harsh, and so replaced them with DT Swiss alloy ones which give a much smoother ride for a small weight penalty. Same with the shock - the Ohlins coil shock is much better than the original Rockshox, and the extra weight is not really noticeable.

The extra shock length, 27.5 rear wheel (with the flip chip in high position), and a 160 mm fork is a really great handling combination.

Shorter crank arms (155 mm) are a big improvement, and I felt the same way about the logo colour - nothing that some stickers couldn't fix though.

My  Mullet Levo.jpg

Moochier

Apr 17, 2019
New Zealand
yea, i had a ohlins TTX coil on my previous 18 sworks Levo, it changed the bike completely. In fact, my entire group has coils on the 18 levo.

But with the longer rear travel on the 19 levo, I didnt feel the need for a coil. so i kept the stock shock

Coils definately are more plush and soak up the bumps better, but they lack the lively feel of an air shock... which i decided id prefer to have for now. Although id like to try a really good coil in there to see how that feels.

Moochier

Apr 17, 2019
New Zealand
Thanks, yes it rides great, im really impressed with what specialized did with the levos... ive never been a fan of theirs before now.

Moochier

Apr 17, 2019
New Zealand
A sub 20kg 2019 levo is possible with the Sworks...not with the other models imo

Yeah youre possibly right... its not impossible but to lose another kg would really start to sacrifice durability and cost moon beams!

Id love a 19kg s works!

Moochier

Apr 17, 2019
New Zealand
My Levo has been modified much the same way over the last 6 months - I also got it to the 20 kg bracket, but found the carbon rims too harsh, and so replaced them with DT Swiss alloy ones which give a much smoother ride for a small weight penalty. Same with the shock - the Ohlins coil shock is much better than the original Rockshox, and the extra weight is not really noticeable.

The extra shock length, 27.5 rear wheel (with the flip chip in high position), and a 160 mm fork is a really great handling combination.

Shorter crank arms (155 mm) are a big improvement, and I felt the same way about the logo colour - nothing that some stickers couldn't fix though.

View attachment 19828
Thats a great looking bike! I really need to get rid of the blue!

Carbon wheels are all different and yes some seem to be more harsh than others. Ive had roval wheels and now the bontrager... both have been good IMO.

I like that with these Levos, you seem to be able to really change up componentry yet dial the geo back to some really good numbers. How many bikes can you run either 27.5 wheels, 29" wheels or mullet and then change your fork from 150-180mm and it still all works and works well!

What cranks did you go with? and your finding 155mm ok in length? i was wondering if that was getting too short.

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
What cranks did you go with? and your finding 155mm ok in length? i was wondering if that was getting too short.[/QUOTE]

Far less pedal strikes, slightly lighter, and I doubt if you could tell the difference between 155 and 165 mm in a blind test - mine are Miranda "Kappa 0", which you can get with the right Q-factor for the Levo (Q4/Q8) - their other cranks are far too wide.

Neverbeentomoab

Jun 17, 2019
Middlesbrough

View attachment 19828
That looks awesome. Where did you get the stickers from?

Parrychops

Sep 24, 2019
London
So a mate and I have ‘19 Levo base models that we’ve been riding and modifying since April this year. They’re a bit different now from where it all started and have just cracked into the 20kg bracket without compromising component or performance.

Thought some of you might be interested in the build? This has been built over the 6 months while riding and upgrading so to get a feel for what each upgrade does.

We’ve both gone mullet now, with 29” front and 27.5” rear wheel sizes
Upped the front fork travel from 150 to 160 and now to 170mm
My mate has swapped in a 210x57mm shock while mine is still oem 210x52.5mm. I’m thinking a 210x55mm is the way to go.

My build consists of:
29x2.6” Minion DHF 3C EXO front on Bontrager Line Pro 30 carbon wheel
27.5x2.6” Minion DHF 3C EXO rear on Bontrager Line Pro 40 carbon wheel
Running Tubeless with Stan’s latex
SRAM Guide RSC brakes 200mm rotors front and rear
Rockshox Lyric RC2 at 170mm
Sublime V One 50mm stem
Rental carbon bar 780mm
SRAM XX1 shifter 11sp
SRAM XX cassette 10-42
XX1 Rear Deraileur
Oem Praxis cranks - might swap these out one day
XTR Pedals
Reverb 150mm dropper - heavy!
Fabric carbon seat
500W battery
OEM base model Rockshox shock... I’m sure there is better but I’ve been impressed with it given its the base model shock!
Total weight 20.9kg

64.4 deg head angle
337mm bb height to axle cntr
357 rear axle height
377 front axle height

I’m not in love with the colour combination or coordination of the build, but I am in love with the bike, it’s stable at speed yet still quick to manoeuvre and it pops and lofts easily. Levo’s rock!
View attachment 19721
View attachment 19722
View attachment 19720 Very noice! Thanks for uploading. Very useful little list. I’m toying with taking out a mortgage and upgrading my 2020 Levo forks to factory. Will mull over for a bit!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles