Levo Gen 2 22 levo makes me want to start upgrading my 21 to a mullet configuration

Christy

Feb 28, 2020
Edmonton, Canada
Hi guys

I just purchased a new levo comp 21 maybe a month ago now.
Now the 22 model I see it has the mullet configuration ans gets me thinking about changing mine already.(not the bike just setup)
I already have 400km of mostly heavy hauling with my daughter sitting up front on the Mac ride.
The bike is a savage and I’m trying my best to get value for money out of it. -I -also wrapped it in rubber tape so I don’t have to worry about dropping it or kids scratching it encase anyone who sees the picture and says wtf.
I bought a spare cassette for bike with a chain.
The rear hub is shimano mt510 microspline so now I’m looking for a rear back wheel.
Anyone got any suggestions on a cheap enough back wheel and hub setup.
I think I need brake disk and the attachment it has to hub. I want to be able to straight swap it out.
Can I get away with just the wheel swap out or is it a case of starting with wheel and seeing what it feels like on the trails and then maybe putting on shorter crank arms.
And one more quick one on the 22 levo gen 3 I noticed with the stem adjustment - you think they will make a thing for the stem of the gen 2 that can change the rake angle? Just looks like some kind of eccentric bushing.
Thanks for reading and if you got any suggestions.

image.jpg

h.grenade

Feb 13, 2021
PNW
I picked up a Stans Flow ZTR for mine. The microspline will leave you will very few options unless you want XC wheels. I switched the rotor to standard 6 bolt. I'm honestly sick of all this "new" tech that barely does anything. Is boost really that much better? Probably a few percentage points. It just makes everything incompatible haha

You will need to run the flip chip in the high position and the bottom bracket will still be pretty low. Shorter cranks might help a bit but really just pay attention to where your cranks are going through rocks. Its a good practice anyway haha

As far as I know there is not an angle set yet. Also, keep in mind that the primary benefit (to most) of mullet is a shorter chainstay. I think I agree with the Santa Cruz engineers that chainstay length should be based on overall wheelbase. A bike with a S frame should have short chainstays but an XL might be better served with a more proportionate length (longer to match the front center).

Christy

Feb 28, 2020
Edmonton, Canada
I picked up a Stans Flow ZTR for mine. The microspline will leave you will very few options unless you want XC wheels. I switched the rotor to standard 6 bolt. I'm honestly sick of all this "new" tech that barely does anything. Is boost really that much better? Probably a few percentage points. It just makes everything incompatible haha

You will need to run the flip chip in the high position and the bottom bracket will still be pretty low. Shorter cranks might help a bit but really just pay attention to where your cranks are going through rocks. Its a good practice anyway haha

As far as I know there is not an angle set yet. Also, keep in mind that the primary benefit (to most) of mullet is a shorter chainstay. I think I agree with the Santa Cruz engineers that chainstay length should be based on overall wheelbase. A bike with a S frame should have short chainstays but an XL might be better served with a more proportionate length (longer to match the front center).
The chip is in the high position at the moment.
I am going to flip it to low position until I get the 27.5 wheel.
One thing I like is the climbing ability of the bike. There are a few hills that I can just make so it will be interesting if the chip will actually change the bike enough so I won’t be able to make it up

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
?and while I’m waiting wait for the price to come down too.

I paid full price for my SL Comp and I did switch to 27.5" all around (I'm ahead of the curve). I like how the bike turns and handles, no pedal strikes so far but I don't ride rock gardens.

Christy

Feb 28, 2020
Edmonton, Canada
I paid full price for my SL Comp and I did switch to 27.5" all around (I'm ahead of the curve). I like how the bike turns and handles, no pedal strikes so far but I don't ride rock gardens.
I’m thinking now the sl might be my next bike in a few years. Just because I rarely use anything more that 50%power and the most battery I can use up at the moment is 30-35% in a 2.5 hr ride. That will obviously change as battery gets older .
27.5 all around ? Why not the mullet setup ?

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I’m thinking now the sl might be my next bike in a few years. Just because I rarely use anything more that 50%power and the most battery I can use up at the moment is 30-35% in a 2.5 hr ride. That will obviously change as battery gets older .
27.5 all around ? Why not the mullet setup ?
I didn't like how the bike steered and turned with the 29's, too slow and the extra weight/centrifugal force of the front 29 probably made it worse. The smaller wheels/tires dropped over 2 lb! If I rode rock-strewn trails the 27.5 may not have worked but there are no trails like that at the Florida coast. Plus with 27.5 on both ends I can rotate the tires to even out the wear patterns! ;)

1617978018413.png

1617978029634.png

Christy

Feb 28, 2020
Edmonton, Canada
I didn't like how the bike steered and turned with the 29's, too slow and the extra weight/centrifugal force of the front 29 probably made it worse. The smaller wheels/tires dropped over 2 lb! If I rode rock-strewn trails the 27.5 may not have worked but there are no trails like that at the Florida coast. Plus with 27.5 on both ends I can rotate the tires to even out the wear patterns! ;)

View attachment 58082

View attachment 58083
I went out today’s abd grabbed 2
27.5 shimano wheels at a not too bad of price. Going to hit the trails once this blizzard clears. Thanks .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles