"Eco mode" clarification

JayK

Aug 3, 2018
Belgium
First time I hit the trail on my new Levo, a guy started a conversation asking me basically "What's the range on eco mode ?".

I told him that since you can adjust all 3 levels as you want, "eco mode" doesn't mean a lot. You can set eco mode to 10% or 40% and obviously, the range would be very different. He wouldn't understand what appears to be very simple to me and insisted with his eco mode range... so much that I'd like to make sure I got it right.

Is there a difference between riding "eco mode" set at 30% and "trail mode" set at 30% ?
Does asking someone for his range on "eco mode" make any sense at all ?

Thanks !

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Nope, makes no sense on a Specialized. If the modes are set identically, they give the same assist. The "range" on whatever-mode depends on so many factors, you can't really give a serious value. Rider-weight, Tyres, Tyre-Pressure, Rider-Power-Output, terrain, wind... you could set Eco to the lowest value and just ride on the flats, not putting in much power through the pedals and get 200km (or more?) out of it.

Last edited:

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
On a spez...they really should have marketed it as 3 user defined settings, setting 1, 2 and 3. Like how BMW advertised M1, M2 driving modes for their ///M models

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
What I understand,you can adjust power in each mode. And obviously,turbo is the more powerful,then trail and last Eco as the less powerful
But strangely,you can set for example Eco and turbo with the same % of power and they work equal

For example,Bosch motor,doesn't allow doing that. You have maximum power delivered in each mode and they are progressive,from less to max power

Last edited:

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
What I understand,you can adjust power in each mode. And obviously,turbo is the more powerful,then trail and last Eco as the less powerful
But strangely,you can set for example Eco and turbo with the same % of power and they work equal

For example,Bosch motor,doesn't allow doing that. You have maximum power delivered in each mode and they are progressive,from less to max power

Edit and correct my comment. I talked to a Levo owner and he clarified me the matter.

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
well to me, you want a longer range, or you want a harder work out. then run in eco but set it as low as you can within reason. yesterday, I set my eco at primary 15% secondary at 20% the trail is at 50% for both the Turbo is primary 85% with max at 100%. I used the gears for hill's & kept in eco all the way covered 20km distance up and down hill's on a paved cycle way. I got home & checked how much battery % I has it said I had 81%, that was yesterday. I just turned it on and now it tells me I have 79% battery power , so must have lost 2% over night? I just re set infinity tune to 10% primary eco & 15% secondary eco with trail still 50% & turbo 85% primary wit maximum 100% will do same ride see what is shows with battery on leaving at 79% .

Marius

Aug 2, 2018
Knysna
I have also played around with the settings and realised that the difference between eco, trail and turbo is what you decide to set it at.
Best is to experiment with your own setup and keep record - that way, you get to estimate more accurately what distances you will be able to achieve.

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
All 3 steps are completely free to configure.

Yes you can set turbo less powerful than eco.

The idea behind the naming is that rider usually set up/define in infinity mide three different power levels - so the naming makes sense as you know when riding which level you defined as the weakest, which as middle level and which as most powerful level.

This is the big advantage of spec/brose motor: you may define each level of motor completely individual - with most other engines like bosch cx they are predefined without possibility of adjustment.

sorry for bad english, not mother tongue in fact.

profgruen

villac

Dec 8, 2021
USA
One benefit I see to freedom in Turbo Levo to define all three values, even with "Eco" on more assist than "Turbo":
The remote has a designated "S" or "turbo" button. If the rider wants to set "Turbo" to the lowest assist, they then have a one touch shortcut to get to that user defined setting. So the benefit is linking your favorite assist settings to the "Turbo" button. I think you could even link the "Turbo" button to no assist if you wanted.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
its a shame you cant rename them, then you could have 'feelin goood', 'shouldn't have had that extra pie' and ' get me home quick that pie was definately dodgy' settings.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
[snip] So the benefit is linking your favorite assist settings to the "Turbo" button. I think you could even link the "Turbo" button to no assist if you wanted.
Or, you could crash really hard at Mammoth Mountain bike park and destroy the Turbo button. Then sloppily fill the gash with epoxy until you source a replacement (and feel like paying for it!). ;)

TurboButton.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles