• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Ebike slow?

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
Random one, and appreciate this may come across as a troll or half term post.

Had my Gen 3 Levo for 2 years. I've gone back to leg powered bikes recently (a 2022 transition patrol @ 170/170mm and a 2022 Enduro @ 180/180mm). Similar builds across all 3 bikes, same tires and wheels.

Still take the Levo out occasionally and I find it very slow. Rather very quick to slow down. Almost like it has bad bearings or a draggy brake which it doesn't. Find I have to constantly peddle to keep it moving.

Is it the weight of the Levo compared to the Enduro and Patrol that's slowing me down?

Cheers.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Random one, and appreciate this may come across as a troll or half term post.

Had my Gen 3 Levo for 2 years. I've gone back to leg powered bikes recently (a 2022 transition patrol @ 170/170mm and a 2022 Enduro @ 180/180mm). Similar builds across all 3 bikes, same tires and wheels.

Still take the Levo out occasionally and I find it very slow. Rather very quick to slow down. Almost like it has bad bearings or a draggy brake which it doesn't. Find I have to constantly peddle to keep it moving.

Is it the weight of the Levo compared to the Enduro and Patrol that's slowing me down?

Cheers.
Weight will only make a difference on the flat or uphill. If it's slow when rolling downhill there's something slowing you up. Slow rolling tyres will make a considerable difference to rolling speed. If it's not that I'd be looking a bit further into it.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There shouldn't be any motor drag.

For starters, when you stop pedalling, the free wheel means the chain isn't moving anyway.

Generally, it's just the weight and normally slower rolling chunkier tyres- that you get away with on an MTB.

If it's not that .. your bearings are fecked or your freewheel is fecked.

There's also the psychological side. You're going WAY ! faster on your Levo, so when you stop pedalling, it slows down faster.

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
Thanks both. My guess is bearings under load I cant think what else it might be. They spin freely on a work stand though.

Tyres and wheels are heavy- DD and Hope Fortus 30, but I run these on my enduro and while they are slow rolling they don't feel so draggy that its a problem.

The Levo for whatever reason has been this way since I got it tbh. On my patrol or enduro I can freewheel sections of trail and not lose too much speed, where the Levo just comes to a stop and requires pedalling.

Multiple configurations of wheels tyres and brakes over the two years I've had it and it's always been the same.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Put it in the stand, spin the wheels. Take the chain off & spin the cranks. If any bearings are cooked, you'll know instantly.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Thanks both. My guess is bearings under load I cant think what else it might be. They spin freely on a work stand though.

Tyres and wheels are heavy- DD and Hope Fortus 30, but I run these on my enduro and while they are slow rolling they don't feel so draggy that its a problem.

The Levo for whatever reason has been this way since I got it tbh. On my patrol or enduro I can freewheel sections of trail and not lose too much speed, where the Levo just comes to a stop and requires pedalling.

Multiple configurations of wheels tyres and brakes over the two years I've had it and it's always been the same.
I do notice that my Levo SL "feels" draggy when the motor is off or in Eco, but when riding with non-Ebikes I'm not going any harder than they are. There's a bit of a mind trick going on making you think it's a lot harder than it really is, due to normally having that assistance there to help you along.
Sounds like if it is spinning in the work stand just fine, it shouldn't the wheel bearings. Maybe a good test would be to find a gradual descent and time how long it takes to roll down it compared to your other bikes. If they have the same tyres, this should rule out any "perceived" feeling of drag.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles