Ebike shipping

Marke

Jun 17, 2018
West Yorkshire
Anyone figured out how to ship an ebike and battery or an ebike battery separately around Europe? I fancy taking my bike on my holidays and cant find anyone who offers such a service - just alot of confusing regulations.

Marke

Jun 17, 2018
West Yorkshire
I would like to go on holiday and take my ebike. As such i would need to transport my ebike from one place in Europe to another and wondered if anyone had any experience of this. I think the regulations regarding lithium ion battery transportation are international or at least Europe wide so the spefic send/ arrival destination are irrelevant. I would be flying, dont really care how the bike travels as long as it arrives i one peice

Halcon

Apr 27, 2018
Texas
You can take the bike on a plane but the battery has to be shipped via ground due to the large lithium battery fire hazard on planes. I have found a few options:
1. you can ship the battery via ground with the hazmat fee just contact UPS/FedEx etc
2. Depending on the model you can contact bike or rental shops in the area to possibly rent or borrow a battery (a better network like Specialized is easier).
3. Ask around on this site to see if there is anyone at the travel location to borrow one (you could pay them in beer and have a riding buddy)

Marke

Jun 17, 2018
West Yorkshire
You can take the bike on a plane but the battery has to be shipped via ground due to the large lithium battery fire hazard on planes. I have found a few options:
1. you can ship the battery via ground with the hazmat fee just contact UPS/FedEx etc
2. Depending on the model you can contact bike or rental shops in the area to possibly rent or borrow a battery (a better network like Specialized is easier).
3. Ask around on this site to see if there is anyone at the travel location to borrow one (you could pay them in beer and have a riding buddy)
Ive never seen any post of anyone successfully shipping a used battery with any courier. Do you have personal experience with this? All the posts and information ive read say that ebike batteries exceed the maximum power limitations so its not possible.

Halcon

Apr 27, 2018
Texas
In the US you can do it though it is a giant pain in the ass. With UPS it has to be shipped separately from the bike, not on an airplane or ship, with a UPS Dangerous Goods contract, UN spec packaging, Class 9 label, with hazmat shipping papers and packaging markings. I have shipped and received hazardous materials with the same level of precautions before.
But it is far easier to contact bike shops at your location. I still don't know what bike you have but if you have Specialized, Bosch or Shimano you should be good.

Marke

Jun 17, 2018
West Yorkshire
I have a trek powerfly 8lt with a bosch motor for what its worth. I think im going to give the idea up as a bad job. Your comments and the youtube video ive posted suggest its going to be a giant hassle. Sounds like a bit of an opportunity for bike shop's to help out. I'd pay a tenner for them to do all the paper work if all i had to do was drop the battery off at nearby ups/dhl etc

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You might be able to hire a battery abroad, i was just in France and plenty of shops doing high end E-MTB rental too.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
So there is a max wh size you can take on an airplane we do it with dive lights and such. What it needs is the manufacturers to make a modular battery to seperate into legal size bits. From memory i think the max wh you can carry is 360wh so a good sized ebike battery would just need to break in half

Marke

Jun 17, 2018
West Yorkshire
The article below estimates that more than 800,000 ebikes will be sold in Germany alone 2018. Hopefully some bright spark will figure out that a few of them might like to their bikes on holiday.

Bike EU

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
From easyjet
maximum of one spare battery not exceeding 300 Wh or two spares not exceeding 160 Wh each may be carried. 4. The pilot-in-command must be informed of the location of the lithium ion battery(ies); 5.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Isn't that specifically for motability devices though?

EDIT: Yes, it is. The limit for other lithium batteries is 160Wh.

Last edited:

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
100 Wh is for shipping. 300 Wh is for wheelchairs.

On IATA website there is this :
https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/passenger-lithium-battery.pdf

The limit is 160 Wh, with a maximum of 2. In a future with smaller stackable batteries, better to go with 100 Wh as the limit is 20!

And this regulation seems valid for ebike too and not only portable electronic devices since several airlines mention explicitly than ebike batteries of more than 160 Wh are prohibited.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
So could you ship with one 160wh on the bike and three 100wh in hand luggage? Then just clip em together.
Im sure we have carried UW scooter batteries that were bigger than 160wh though maybe they weren't lithium cant remember

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
Hiring in venue has got to be the best option, has anyone tried it?

I take my own bike, but everywhere that I have been be it France, Belgium, Germany, Austria and Switzerland, all have an endless amount of places in which to hire ebikes. The cost is also often amazingly cheap.

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
Sorry for the late reply, we do offer IDG (international dangerous goods) I work at UPS in the uk, just got back from the F1 in Spa (we sponsor Ferrari) service was introduced in to Europe last year and is growing. The best way would be to go via ground, super easy, takes a couple of days to most of Europe, if you want to fly it express that’s a little more complex. I am away in Ireland with work for the rest of this week but I will put something up on line next week or at least have a word with marketing over pricing.

Marke

Jun 17, 2018
West Yorkshire
Sorry for the late reply, we do offer IDG (international dangerous goods) I work at UPS in the uk, just got back from the F1 in Spa (we sponsor Ferrari) service was introduced in to Europe last year and is growing. The best way would be to go via ground, super easy, takes a couple of days to most of Europe, if you want to fly it express that’s a little more complex. I am away in Ireland with work for the rest of this week but I will put something up on line next week or at least have a word with marketing over pricing.
Fantastic! In my humble opinion a service where i could rock up to any courier worldwide, fill in a form and hand over my standard ebike battery and pay would be perfect

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
A couple of points. Islands and ground shipping of Lion battery’s are a bit of a mine field, it’s to do with ADR and IATA basically there are different rules for road transport and air but road transport that has to use a ferry end up covered by maritime regulations and that’s where even UPS/FedEx/DHL all comeback unstuck,

One of the best ways I have thought about doing this is through the UPS Access point network. Basically you go to a local store, ship the battery to another access point at your destination and then collect it when you arrive.

Let me take a look when I am back next week and see what the documentation looks like and also the pricing, there may actually by a business opportunity in all this I’m not sure yet.

aspirina

Patreon
Aug 18, 2018
Barcelona
Last trip I did I used MBE to do the shipping dropped the battery at one of their locations and picked it up 3 days later in germany, total cost 119€ mbe.es or mbe.co.uk

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
MBE will work, UPS owns them ?I have a friend in Brokerage at UPS that Doomanic also knows he has been doing some digging, we cannot do air it’s to complex for us as individuals but we can do ground fairly easy, going to see if we can’t get sales involved next week and come up with a solution we could offer to forum members, watch this space......

Marke

Jun 17, 2018
West Yorkshire
Mbe is a step in the right direction, looks like its limited to only 2 countries though?Something through ups would be awesome

aspirina

Patreon
Aug 18, 2018
Barcelona
Mbe is a step in the right direction, looks like its limited to only 2 countries though?Something through ups would be awesome
actually it’s most of Europe, south America and plenty of Asian countries, no offices in NA thou

aspirina

Patreon
Aug 18, 2018
Barcelona
Sounds awesome. Can i send .y battery from Bucharest to Oslo easily? I just looked at mbe.co.uk and only listed uk locations.
D727A0F7-7C4F-47C5-B987-2566671BDEF4.png
No RO.. sorry but as they are owned by UPS... ring ups RO? And ship to MBE Oslo?

Marke

Jun 17, 2018
West Yorkshire

Also, i just did a search on the ups website for ebike and it didnt return any results. Is it definatley the case that mbe are prepared to ship a 500wh ebike lithium ion battery? I only say this because i know people ship batteries without declaring what the are properly. Problem with this battery confiscation and criminal prosecution

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles