Eagle PG1230 NX Eagle 3rd cog bent / Stiffer 12x cassette EMTB specced

sandyman44

Jun 29, 2020
UK
my EMTB, scott e-genius, has sram nx eagle 12x PG1230 cassette. standard splined freehub. recently towards the end of a ride I noticed some gears become unusable, it turned out the 3rd largest cog (36T) has a significant (about 4mm) away-from-the-wheel bend in it for about 3 teeth-worth, almost overlapping the adjacent 4th largest making both unusable. Only explanation that is likely is that this ring was taking too much torque at some point on my ride , perhaps after a less-than-perfect shift, and got bent. there was no crash.
After I took it off the bike and had a good look at it, this one cog is very flexible, you can push it sideways with finger, its only built from a single ring of metal for large sections of the arc.if I can bend it with a finger, sure as heck a bosch motor in turbo pulling 120kg's up a hill can potentially do so.
All the other large cogs are built from two concentric rings with structural triangles joining them all the way round the arc, and are much much stiffer. seems like a design flaw in this cassette that this one cog is very flexible. I've whacked it with a hammer and got it more or less back to straight but I don't know how long it will last.

anyone found a way to replace the large rings only , I don't see anyone listing sram cassettes piecemeal?
Is there an alternative EMTB rated stronger 12x cassette that fits a standard freehub?

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
www.servicearchive.sram.com › ...PDF
Compatibility Map MTB Components 2018 - SRAM

To change the cassette from either the 1210 or 1230 you'll need to change the hub as well.

Maybe put it down as a learning experience rather than a design fault that you've discovered.

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
Might have been a stick or something that got caught and caused the bend. Most cassette's are made from similar materials, even the expensive ones, though they are constructed differently.

I'm 100Kg's and don't go light on my bike and the cheap ass SX cassette has held up so far.

Drsooty

Jul 10, 2020
Lancashire
you don't need to. simply return it and have the seller/supplier warranty it for you.

it happens. and not just to lower end sprockets
This happened to me, same cassette, same ring bent. SRAM would not repair or replace under warranty.

In terms of prevention, I am now keeping a closer eye on chain wear. My gear changing is not perfect but I had no issues for 6 months until my chain wear got higher.

I've replaced with a Sunrace MZ90 cassette. Not sure if it is stronger but got a good deal.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
This happened to me, same cassette, same ring bent. SRAM would not repair or replace under warranty.

In terms of prevention, I am now keeping a closer eye on chain wear. My gear changing is not perfect but I had no issues for 6 months until my chain wear got higher.

I've replaced with a Sunrace MZ90 cassette. Not sure if it is stronger but got a good deal.
The Sunrace uses aluminium for all except the 2 largest cogs while the Sram cogs are all steel, so the Sunrace may wear sooner but YMMV literally.

Drsooty

Jul 10, 2020
Lancashire
The Sunrace uses aluminium for all except the 2 largest cogs while the Sram cogs are all steel, so the Sunrace may wear sooner but YMMV literally.
Cheers.

Yes, after my second SRAM cassette bent only 2 weeks after installation, then SRAM would not replace it, I decided to go for a cheaper option. The Sunrace was on offer at my LBS.

In retrospect the chain wear was the likely culprit. Had no issues with Sunrace so far. Also upgraded to a GX chain. You live and learn.

I'd only had budget hard tails prior to this bike! Never had any problems with them! :LOL:

sandyman44

Jun 29, 2020
UK
this isn't tooth wear, its the actual cog bending. although wear could be a contributor to less-than-perfect shifts that could have caused the bend itself, I'm convinced its the construction method that allows the bend to happen.

I've compared the PG-1230 to an XG-1275 cassette and the construction method is totally different. on the more expensive cassette every cog has an independent "truss" construction i.e. two concentric rings with triangle braces between them. they are all very very stiff. Plus, every cog is pinned to the next one at quite small distance intervals, so there is no large sections of cog that can move independently. on the PG1230 on this one 36T cog that got bent there is a fairly large arc, that is both a single ring of metal with no truss bracing, and unsupported by pins, able to move quite freely and thats where mine got bent.

I have no illusions about trying to get a warranty claim on it, clearly it will be put down as fair wear-and-tear and/or riding damage, its done 1000 miles.

anyone know if there is a conversion for this hub to XD?

Drsooty

Jul 10, 2020
Lancashire
this isn't tooth wear, its the actual cog bending. although wear could be a contributor to less-than-perfect shifts that could have caused the bend itself, I'm convinced its the construction method that allows the bend to happen.

I've compared the PG-1230 to an XG-1275 cassette and the construction method is totally different. on the more expensive cassette every cog has an independent "truss" construction i.e. two concentric rings with triangle braces between them. they are all very very stiff. Plus, every cog is pinned to the next one at quite small distance intervals, so there is no large sections of cog that can move independently. on the PG1230 on this one 36T cog that got bent there is a fairly large arc, that is both a single ring of metal with no truss bracing, and unsupported by pins, able to move quite freely and thats where mine got bent.

I have no illusions about trying to get a warranty claim on it, clearly it will be put down as fair wear-and-tear and/or riding damage, its done 1000 miles.

anyone know if there is a conversion for this hub to XD?

Interesting about the construction of the 2 cassettes. Maybe they have cheaped out on the entry level.

Totally understand it wasn't tooth wear. I'm saying that a worn chain makes it more more likely to bend a cassette. Possibly due to the gear change inefficiencies. At least I believe that's what happened in my case. Although I did hope that as it was only 2 weeks old SRAM would have allowed a warranty claim.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles