E8000 Occasional Inconsistency/Power Drops

Marc_250

Sep 20, 2019
UK
Hi,

I've just got a new E8000 equipped bike.

Did a few miles to check all was well then as you may guess relocated to the US and put a smaller rear wheel on it....

All seemed great but just notice every now and then power drop outs which is also shown on the display as no assistance been provided. Lasts for a few seconds maybe 4/5 at most then goes again. Is this the norm? I came from a Bosch Active Line Plus (well still got it) and have felt similar but far rarer and only for fractions of a second.

I assume torque sensor related? The torque sensor on the Bosch does seem more refined..

Cheers, Marc

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
As @Channing says. Check your display connector and also take the left side motor cover off and check the cables there too.

Also check that the cable to the display isn't snagging, squashed or getting pulled too tight anywhere.

Marc_250

Sep 20, 2019
UK
I will check but have done many more miles since I wrote this and I think it's just the torque sensor not been as sensitive as Bosch. Hit even a gentle downhill (when only gently pedaling) and seems it can cause the torque sensor to no longer detect input so the assistance drops.

Feel likes the Bosch torque sensor can measure 0-100% input (and provide equivalent assistance) but the Shimano can only measure 20-100% input so you get a bit of a inconsistent feel. Unless it's just mine that's faulty!

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I would also check that the wheel sensor (magnet) is installed and aligned correctly.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles