E160s and a Megneg upgrade!

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
Just finished Installing the Megneg upgrade onto the Standard Delux shock. I personally found the standard shock very poor. I'm currently running 2 +tokens, and 2 -bands in the neg chamber. - Its already a lot more supportive in the mid travel, and has kept a nice compliance off the top. -I'll be tuning this further.. just to experiment as much as anything. Do any of you use the Megneg, what weight, pressure and set up do you use?

20210205_142644.jpg

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
Just finished Installing the Megneg upgrade onto the Standard Delux shock. I personally found the standard shock very poor. I'm currently running 2 +tokens, and 2 -bands in the neg chamber. - Its already a lot more supportive in the mid travel, and has kept a nice compliance off the top. -I'll be tuning this further.. just to experiment as much as anything. Do any of you use the Megneg, what weight, pressure and set up do you use?

View attachment 52145
so far I just added a third token to the standard shock and adjusted the pressure, which did improve things. I agree that this is the weak point of the spec and will be very interested to hear how you get on.
BTW I also added a token to the Zebb fork and dropped the pressure, which was a big positive impact

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I run two tokens and two bands on my Megneg’d Super Deluxe with 235 psi - I weigh about 90kg kitted up.

Obviously the bike it’s fitted too makes comparisons hard between similar shock set ups - pretty pointless unless on same bike but I do love how it rides

Last edited:

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
What did you guys not like about it?
Admittedly I’m a 27.5 e150, but I was actually quite impressed by the shock for its spec. My first modern Rockshox rear shock, been on Fox for last 20 years. I’m 100kg with riding gear and usually find I’m maxed out on rebound setting and have to add a heap of compression damping if the adjustment is available. Also usually have to fiddle with spacers as at the higher pressures I run, it’s often difficult to reach full travel. On this bike I’m 2/3rds rebound and stock spacers. I think the ebike tune must be beefed up for the extra weight of the bike, which helps a beefed up rider
I wonder if the different linkage on the 160 makes a difference over how it feels compared to 150?

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
What did you guys not like about it?
Admittedly I’m a 27.5 e150, but I was actually quite impressed by the shock for its spec. My first modern Rockshox rear shock, been on Fox for last 20 years. I’m 100kg with riding gear and usually find I’m maxed out on rebound setting and have to add a heap of compression damping if the adjustment is available. Also usually have to fiddle with spacers as at the higher pressures I run, it’s often difficult to reach full travel. On this bike I’m 2/3rds rebound and stock spacers. I think the ebike tune must be beefed up for the extra weight of the bike, which helps a beefed up rider
I wonder if the different linkage on the 160 makes a difference over how it feels compared to 150?
I found it 'wallowy' (tech term?!) for an air shock. When I compare to my son's super deluxe select+, there seems less support to pop against in the mid travel. Admittedly my son's bike is a carbon Evil, so hardly a straight comparison.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I didn't not like my standard super deluxe, but I found the the meg neg allowed more support from the shock in terms of pumping in and out of corners etc, whilst maintaining the suppleness and grip that I wanted.

Found with the standard shock I either had it set up for support, which compromised suppleness or vice vera, and the Meg Neg enabled me to get a good mix of both.

However the Meg Neg does add a lot of variables to setting up the shock, I had mine set up by a suspension tech, as I can see it being very easy to get lost in the set up.

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
so far I just added a third token to the standard shock and adjusted the pressure, which did improve things. I agree that this is the weak point of the spec and will be very interested to hear how you get on.
BTW I also added a token to the Zebb fork and dropped the pressure, which was a big positive impact

The shock and fork models are a sacrifice to the 160s. They Have to be at the £5k range you get the rock bottom version of each unit. - I knew this before purchase and had planned a shock and fork upgrade. - I'll be fitting the RC2 in due course. The Zeb ultimate was what I wanted, but couldn't stretch to the ultimate spec at the time of purchase. The fork with pre-tuned compression feels like a Pike as standard (which isn't a bad thing... but It's a more premium 38 fork so I would expect better. I had counted for all these potentials already :)

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
I found it 'wallowy' (tech term?!) for an air shock. When I compare to my son's super deluxe select+, there seems less support to pop against in the mid travel. Admittedly my son's bike is a carbon Evil, so hardly a straight comparison.

Mid travel support was seriously lacking originally, especially if you're a rider of 80kg+

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
I didn't not like my standard super deluxe, but I found the the meg neg allowed more support from the shock in terms of pumping in and out of corners etc, whilst maintaining the suppleness and grip that I wanted.

Found with the standard shock I either had it set up for support, which compromised suppleness or vice vera, and the Meg Neg enabled me to get a good mix of both.

However the Meg Neg does add a lot of variables to setting up the shock, I had mine set up by a suspension tech, as I can see it being very easy to get lost in the set up.

It depends how anal you are, Rock Shox suggest starting with 2+ tokens and 2 - bands, this will at the very least be a good improvement over standard, certainly with Mid travel support. -- from there on in, as you say.. it's fine-tuning time.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes the starting point is to match the tokens to the bands, but to make the most of it you need to experiment, which is a case of dismantling the shock each time and fidlling about with it.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I think the ebike tune must be beefed up for the extra weight of the bike, which helps a beefed up rider
Didn't Whyte make a point of saying this wasn't the case? Their shock tunes are actually claimed to be light, as there's no need to counteract pedalling forces, and they want the bikes to move rather than have a firm platform? YMMV obviously.

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
Yes the starting point is to match the tokens to the bands, but to make the most of it you need to experiment, which is a case of dismantling the shock each time and fidlling about with it.
Yeah it is a bit fiddly. I'm also a heavier rider probably 95kg all in.. so I won't be using it to its full potential.. BUT its a very cheap way to massively improve the basic shock.

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
Didn't Whyte make a point of saying this wasn't the case? Their shock tunes are actually claimed to be light, as there's no need to counteract pedalling forces, and they want the bikes to move rather than have a firm platform? YMMV obviously.

The tune on the basic 160s delux shock, is 2 tokens. That's all.

Nick790

Jan 1, 2021
Kent
Good thread.
I picked up an rode my new 160s yesterday. I had a basics sag set up done in the shop.

Now I’m new to ebikes but not suspension, and I rode a fairly easy route and it was my first ride soI went easy. I was surprised how much rear travel I was using. Checked it an reset my o ring a few times.

Now generally it doesn’t feel soft or plush, maybe a little harsh. But I’m still using most of the travel without trying at all.

Front felt good to be honest. Although disappointed there’s no compression adjustment. I believe there’s upgrades for this?

What's the most cost effective cure for the rear, the megneg?

Is the 160 the same frame and linkage as the 180? Could you make a 160 into a 180?

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
Good thread.
I picked up an rode my new 160s yesterday. I had a basics sag set up done in the shop.

Now I’m new to ebikes but not suspension, and I rode a fairly easy route and it was my first ride soI went easy. I was surprised how much rear travel I was using. Checked it an reset my o ring a few times.

Now generally it doesn’t feel soft or plush, maybe a little harsh. But I’m still using most of the travel without trying at all.

Front felt good to be honest. Although disappointed there’s no compression adjustment. I believe there’s upgrades for this?

Is the 160 the same frame and linkage as the 180? Could you make a 160 into a 180?
I think the cheapest improvement is to add a third volume reducer (this is what I did) or perhaps even a knar dog spacer. From what others are saying, I expect the meg neg is a further improvement, but obviously will cost a bit more.
I agree that the Zebb is a great fork. it is a basic version without the bells and whistles, but works very well. I also added a third token to the fork and lowered the pressure, which was great for my riding. The shop warned me that due to the low running pressure it is important to be very accurate with the air setting and recommended I buy a digital pump (still not done that).

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
Good thread.

The Meg Neg is about £70 which is a hell of a lot better than a complete £400 shock. You could add another token or so to the shock. Dependent on how heavy you are ( ideally below 100kg full loaded) there are some significant gains to be had from the meg neg. The more Neg pressure (less negative bands) used the more pressure you'll have to put into the shock. Bare in mind the max pressure of the shock. I'm at 300 psi and 2 negative bands. I'm around 95kg full-ride weight and that's with 25-30% sag.

Last edited:

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
When a manufacturer talks about a 'light tune' I assume it's damping they're talking about. Just checked mine, it's medium rebound and light compression.
I only have rebound adjustment on the basic delux. Combined initially with 2 tokens. There's nothing much to tune. Compression will be whatever it's set at, similarly to the basic zebs.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
anyone know if a rs super deluxe piggyback ifp can be slightly rotated off the vertical to aid the fit of a water bottle?
so my last question was obviously so dumb that nobody responded!
Megneg arrived today. I am worried because I am a heavy rider 100Kg fully loaded. Going to start with maintaining the 3 positive spcaers and add the Megneg with 2 negative spacersn (e160). Unless anyone tells me I am bonkaZ.
In all honesty I don't see myself doing much experimentation beyond that unless it turns ot v badly.
I will keep you posted

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Get out testing! My birthday soon and this falls in my pressie range from the wife. ?

Was originally happy with shock on my e150 but now I’ve got the fork dialled and am pushing the bike more in bigger terrain, I just feel like it’s lacking a touch. Seems like a reasonable price for good amount of tuning potential, especially as it comes with the 50 hour service seals.

Been reading and watching a few videos on the subject and it seems the megneg adds a lot of bottom out resistance. Recommended to remove one or two tokens when you fit it. If I were you I’d start at 2 and 2. At least you can remove the +ve spacers without taking the shock off the bike. Looks like you need to remove the shock to add or remove the negative ones.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
I installed the megneg yesterday. The installation was straight-forward. Anyone who can do a can service would manage it no problem. It was also an opportunity to regrease the piston and renew the oil in the can.
As suggested by Clubby I removed one of the 3 positive tokens, so have ended up with 2 pos tokens and 2 neg bands.
As mentioned previously I am not a light rider - 95Kg in my big boys pants, so around 100Kg fully loaded. I had to put 280psi (before disconnecting the pump) in the shock. That took some pumping. This gave me 35% sag, so I'll probably have to squeeze in another 10psi.
Went to my local trails in the evening for a quick blast and am happy with the initial outcome. The response was very much as predicted by the curve shown on SRAM website, more active on the small stuff, supportive in the middle and I didn't quite use all the travel, so must be ramping up well at the end of the stroke.
For the money I consider it a very useful upgrade. Major improvement over the standard shock.
Will report back again after a few more rides.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Any updates Mr P?
Got a wee bit of time off coming up, so hoping to get some riding in. Would be ideal chance to spend some time setting megneg up if I got one.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
Any updates Mr P?
Got a wee bit of time off coming up, so hoping to get some riding in. Would be ideal chance to spend some time setting megneg up if I got one.
only done a couple of rides since. actually had the Bosch motor fail. It was replaced within a week by LBS and Bosch, so no big deal, but I also bought an E-gravel bike for an up-coming tour, which is taking a bit of time.
The two rides since have confirmed the MegNeg as a good upgrade. I haven't changed the tune since the initial set-up apart from adding 10psi more. How much of the extra pressure stayed in after disconnecting the pump I 'm not sure as the sag stayed at 35%. I couldn't physically add any more pressure with this pump.
I rode at Cwmcarn and Staunton FoD if you know, which are both quite rocky and rooty. Extra grip and initial compliance coming from the MegNeg were quite noticeable.
Let us know how you get on.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Bit the bullet and ordered one.
Was up at Comrie Croft today which is very rocky. Fork felt amazing but rear just feels a bit dead. 30% sag with no tokens and just getting full travel on the biggest drops I have the balls for. Not great on small chattery stuff. Any less air and just wallows in mid travel. Still wonder if it’s just a symptom of such a heavy bike and a double down rear tyre but for 80 quid I reckon it’s worth a try. Worst case I stick the original one back on and sell the megneg for half cost.

MrSpoon

May 20, 2020
UK
Bit late to the party, but I purchased a megneg a month or so ago. Fitting was no problem; didn't' realise the shock already had two spacers in it until I went through the process and did a refresh of the oil at the same time. The only niggle was that I couldn't fit the very slim washer back in when putting the shock back in the mount, but I don't think that really matters.
I'm running it at 305 psi (approx 84kg) with a gnar dog in and 2 neg spacers. Really enjoying the difference but I think I will go back to two spacers rather than the gnar dog at some point as I'm not making full use of the travel. I borrowed a shock wiz to help set it up, but in reality it didn't tell me much more than I was expecting. I run it at the fastest rebound when it's rocky and 2 clicks slower for normal stuff.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
I’ve actually just removed mine from my v1 e150. Did exactly what it was advertised to and gave really good mid stroke pop. Unfortunately even with all four negative bands and no positive spacers I couldn’t achieve full travel even on the biggest stuff I hit. Fiddled about with a few combinations of spacers but running 30% sag it wouldn’t go past 2/3rds travel. Caused a few rim strikes and tyre burps that I’ve never had on the same trail before, despite running the same tyre pressure.

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
I’ve actually just removed mine from my v1 e150. Did exactly what it was advertised to and gave really good mid stroke pop. Unfortunately even with all four negative bands and no positive spacers I couldn’t achieve full travel even on the biggest stuff I hit. Fiddled about with a few combinations of spacers but running 30% sag it wouldn’t go past 2/3rds travel. Caused a few rim strikes and tyre burps that I’ve never had on the same trail before, despite running the same tyre pressure.
That's interesting are you quite light? I am 70KG in my kit my megneg setup is one in the positive and one in the neg running 30% sag I can use all of the travel.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles